solar system for my duck house

backyard solar

solar system for my duck house

Post by backyard solar »

I am building my duck house and planning to incorporate one or two panels on the roof to harness the solar power for some backyard lighting. It is a gable roof style with size approximately 4 x 5 ft on each side.
what solar components/system do you recommend for my project?
Thanks,
:idea:
Tech_Marco

Re: solar system for my duck house

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello,

It really depends on what do you want to drive of by using the solar panel for your duck house. It could be a water pump, a LED light, a fan, or even a heater is possible. FYI, I do carry high quality "Mono Crystalline" solar panel rate 20W to 40W. I also carry solar regulator/charge, water pump, LED light, fan, and temperature controller.

BTW, I do carry high efficiency solar heater (Exporting to Germany from China) with super heat transfer technology. It is constructed with 10~12 6ft vacumm tube but without running water on each tube necessary! It works under ~30'C as long as sun light is available. The effeciency is 74% compare to 42% of standard root type solar heater (black sheet). If interested, I'll post more info here.

Anyway, tell me more about your project and I should be able to help you to find suitable products to build the duck house. It may help me also as I have a midium size Koi pond keeping 21 fishes. There were about 2" long when I bought them. Now, it's about 22" long. I want to build a solar power water pump & LED but just got no time to do it. May be your project may bring up my motivation to do mind as well. ;)

Regards,
Marco
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I have a koi pond too. Would be nice if my filter will be powered by solar. However, I will first focus on lighting in this phase before I may expand the project for other purposes. Let's say I will start with 2 x 40W panels to power some sort of LED lighting. I assume I may have 4 to 5 hours sunlight on that spot where the duck house is located. Perhaps getting some 320 to 400kwh before factoring in the efficiency loss.

Please advise the following;
1. the estimated power capacity I may expect from the above assumptions.
2. what power storage, controller device and other components I may need.
3. the sizes of all the components in the system. I will add an attic in this house to hold these components.

Thanks again.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Please advise the following;
1. the estimated power capacity I may expect from the above assumptions.
2. what power storage, controller device and other components I may need.
3. the sizes of all the components in the system. I will add an attic in this house to hold these components.

Here is a preliminary calculation of what 2x40W (80W) solar can give you.
FYI, the power rating on label about a solar panel is 'optimal rating' and hardly you can get closed. Usually we take 75% of the label rating so it's 80* 75% = 60W

5hrs * 60W = 300W-hr

Take my 3W LED as example: http://www.lightobject.com/Submersible- ... -P478.aspx

Let's say you want to power it on from 6pm to 6am, 12hrs and need 4 lights. So, you're taking 4x3x12 = 144W-hr.
That say you can power up to 8x 3W IR LED for 12hrs with 5 hrs sunlight charging. Note, a rechargeable battery is required. Recommended Acid-sealed battery but a car battery is ok but need to pay attention about the liquid sulfuric acid.

What you need is:
1. Two 40W solar panel
1b. 2x 3A schottky Diode (reversed protection for parallel connection)
2. One 10A solar charger/regulator
3. 4 to 8 3W LED bulb (any color)
4. A rechargeable battery (12V 40A) but I recommend bigger say 12V 60A

Hope this help

Regards,
Marco
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Very helpful information. I am shooting for 6 LEDs. Please give me a package deal from #1 to 3 in your note. I will use my car battery to pilot test this project.
Thanks again for your support.
:idea:
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy recently.

Since you want 6x 3Watt LEDs so the total consumption is 18W.
Total Watt-hr is 3Watt *6 * 12hrs = 216Watt-hr

Solar panel need: 1x 60W or 2x 30W
But, I suggest you get 2x 40W = 80W as you may want to drive more light or a small water pump is possible.

Here are what you need:
1) Two 40W solar panel: http://www.lightobject.com/40watt-Mono- ... -P611.aspx
Note: Mono Crystalline solar panel is so far the best efficiency solar panel available in the market. You may find some store selling cheap panel of the same wattage. But, pay attention what made the panel. It could be one of this: Mono Crystalline, Poly Crystalline, or non-crystalline. Try not go get noon-crystalline as it's performance is very low and wore out quick

2) One solar charger: http://www.lightobject.com/10A-Solar-Pa ... -P137.aspx
Note: this charger can handle up to 10A output. Two 40W panel in parallel mode output max of 5A (shorted circuit) so the charger is more than it need to support it.

3) 2x 3A schottky Diode (I haven't posted it on my site yet but will do later)

4) 1x 30A or bigger Acid sealed battery or a car battery is OK

5) Wires, clamp, switch, analog/digital monitor Volt meter or amp meter

With all these parts, you should be able to finish your project in a day

Hope this help. Post pictures of your work if you can. That may help other folks as well

Regards,
Marco
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Thanks again, Marco.

I will pilot this project following the list you suggested. By the way, I already completed the framing of the duck house. This is the picture showing the framing I completed recently. I believe the electronic components you mentioned (the charger, diode and battery) could be able to fit inside the attic I specially made for this solar project (in the picture attached, please see the upper section of the house).
After confirming the shopping transaction on your website, how soon can you send us the components (except the battery. I will use mine)? If I understand correctly, they should be in stock.

Much appreciate your continued support.
Attachments
duck house in progress dec_12.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, all items are in stock and ready to ship
The house looks good, can't wait to see it housing your duckies

Marco
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Already placed order.
Look forward to the shipment.
Your support and advice are v much appreciated.
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Hi Marco,
Shipment arrived in good shape and good timing as my house was roofed a few days ago. My ducks already moved in : )
Will need some time to study the plan to put together the panels and components. Certainly ask you again if I have problems installing them.
Thanks again for your great support.
Attachments
duck house 2.jpg
duck house 2.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
duck house 1.jpg
duck house 1.jpg (8.45 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Can you post bigger pictures? It's hard to see it

Marco
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Just resized them to higher pixel files... Hope you see better this time.
Attachments
duck house 2.jpg
duck house 2.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
duck house 1.jpg
duck house 1.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
backyard solar

Post by backyard solar »

Happy New Year, Marco,

I just completed the installation of the solar system which drives the lights from the roof of my duck house - just in time for the arrival of our ducklings too : )
The 2 solar panels powers 4x 10W LED lights to decoratively illuminate our yard at night. They also add security too!
My family are so happy with the results of this project. Our kids, particularly, are so thrilled that we are able to harness the sun power for FREE.

Thank you so much for your support on this project. Your input has been very helpful to our success.
Attachments
solar panel 2.jpg
solar panel 2.jpg (201.13 KiB) Viewed 10154 times
ducklings.jpg
ducklings.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 10154 times
solar panel 1.jpg
solar panel 1.jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 10154 times
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Looks great! By the way, did you install the diode in series with the panel? Make sure you do it or the 'back-flow' current from the battery or the unbalance voltage from the solar itself are not good for the solar panel.

How many hrs of light did you get?

Marco

Return to “Electronics”