Samples from T9 DSP controller

tinymaninside

Re: Samples from T9 DSP controller

Post by tinymaninside »

Tech_Marco wrote:Read the "FAQ" first please

You need to understand the basic of the controller and how to configure the software parameters before asking for help. It is hard for me to do step by step each time a customer purchase a card. Most your questions were covered in the FAQ I posted

Thx
Howdy. New forum member here. I just bought the T9 card and I'm trying to hook it up tonight but not having much luck. When I power the machine on, the laser head moves in a straight line on the X axis and runs straight into the limit switch but doesn't register it, it just rams into the side and the motors keep running until I stop it.

I'm running an Artsign JSM-3060N cutter. I'm assuming there is an issue with how I wire the limit switch. On the previous board the X- and Y- were wired into one set of connectors but the grounds seems to be combined and wired into the other set of connectors that had the Z+ and Z- limits. So right now I don't have a ground connection where the X and Y limit switches are wired to the T9 board... can I just jumper them with a wire?
Last edited by tinymaninside on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

Tech_Marco wrote:Read the "FAQ" first please

You need to understand the basic of the controller and how to configure the software parameters before asking for help. It is hard for me to do step by step each time a customer purchase a card. Most your questions were covered in the FAQ I posted

Thx
Forgot to ask in my previous post --- where is this FAQ that you're referring to? I can't seem to find it.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

FAQ: viewforum.php?f=75

You don't want to run the XY without testing the limit switches at all. Usually how I did was to move the laser head to the center of gantry then power it up. That way I have time to test the X,Y limit momentary by hand. Should any one of the limit switch is not responding, I hit "Emergency" switch to cut off power, then reconfigure the parameters through the software.

Marco
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

Tech_Marco wrote:FAQ: viewforum.php?f=75

You don't want to run the XY without testing the limit switches at all. Usually how I did was to move the laser head to the center of gantry then power it up. That way I have time to test the X,Y limit momentary by hand. Should any one of the limit switch is not responding, I hit "Emergency" switch to cut off power, then reconfigure the parameters through the software.

Marco
I don't see anywhere in the user settings or manufacturer settings where limit switches are specified. My laser head can move to the X-limit switch but it doesn't trigger or register, it just keeps moving until it runs into the side. So if I manually test the limit switch and it doesn't trigger, what do I do to activate it?

I'm worried that the limit switch wiring is totally different than from my previous board. I was using an RDLC320A previously.

Here is a picture of the board:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-kqb ... nZ0aEpBaFk

The limit switches on the RDLC320A were previously wired to CN3 (Z limit switch wiring), and CN4 (X/Y limit switch wiring). The way it was wired previously was the X and Y limit switches were connected to X- and Y- on CN4, but there was NO GROUND CONNECTION associate with the X- and Y- on CN4.

On CN3, the Z limit switch was wired to Z+ and Z-, and there was a ground connection that looked like ALL of the limit switches were wired there. Right next to CN3 and CN4 was CN2, which was wired with a 24V input and Ground input (this was not the main power input, which was wired separately on CN1). So with the T9 board, there is no connection for the 24V/Ground that is connected to CN2 on the RDLC320A board. So those two wires are floating right now. What are those wires related to? Do they power a relay that switches the limit switches (and if that's the case, do I need to get a different motion controller)? Unfortunately I couldn't track them through all the combined cabling in the unit.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give.

-tmi
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It doesn't look that complicated. To connect a limit switch to the board (mechanical momentary switch), you connect one pin from the Normally Opened (N.O.) to the ground and another pin to the X- or Y- or Z-. That is all you need to do! Forget about the 24V or 5V, it is not used for limited switch unless you have optical type switch.

Just focus on CN4 where you connect the X and Y limit switch to the GND and the X- and Y-

Sorry for the confusion, what I mean of configure the parameter through the software was changing the gantry direction when power up.
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

Tech_Marco wrote:It doesn't look that complicated. To connect a limit switch to the board (mechanical momentary switch), you connect one pin from the Normally Opened (N.O.) to the ground and another pin to the X- or Y- or Z-. That is all you need to do! Forget about the 24V or 5V, it is not used for limited switch unless you have optical type switch.

Just focus on CN4 where you connect the X and Y limit switch to the GND and the X- and Y-

Sorry for the confusion, what I mean of configure the parameter through the software was changing the gantry direction when power up.
OK, I know how to switch the gantry direction in the user/manufacturer settings. I have everything moving in the right directions.

The problem is where CN4 was - there were only wires for X- and Y-. There was no wire attached to ground in CN4 (and yes, my homing was working perfectly fine with my old board). There were several wires tied together and connected to the ground in CN3 (I'm assuming that the grounding wire that was supposed to be in CN4 was one of the wires tied together here). I will try to trace all the limit switch wiring the next time I'm in the shop - last night I put a jumper between the U/Z limit ground and the X/Y limit ground on the T9 board but it didn't do anything. I'll try to find the ground wires from the X and Y limit switches and put them directly into the ground of the X/Y limit connector.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

That I can't help. You need to trace where is the Gnd wire to be. It could be sharing with other ground wire somewhere

Here is the connection diagram.
download/dsp/ph/T9_Controller_2-phase-d ... iagram.pdf
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

Tech_Marco wrote:It doesn't look that complicated. To connect a limit switch to the board (mechanical momentary switch), you connect one pin from the Normally Opened (N.O.) to the ground and another pin to the X- or Y- or Z-. That is all you need to do! Forget about the 24V or 5V, it is not used for limited switch unless you have optical type switch.
Ok, I'm in the shop now working on the laser cutter. It turns out I do need a 24V feed for the X and Y limit switches on my machine (Artsign JSM-3060N). On the wiring from those switches there are 3 wires - one says 10-24 V, one is ground, and one is (-). The switches require 24V/200mA from the looks of the tags attached to the switches. This appears to be part of the old RDLC320A board that had a 24V output associated with the limit switch connectors. The Z-switches are a different type of switch that do not require 24V.

I have the machine running in the correct direction (upper left) but it is not homing because the limit switches won't register since there is no 24V feed installed. I don't have an external 24V supply and I'm hesitant to connect those leads to the main 24V supply to the board.
Last edited by tinymaninside on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

So after I turn it on, I hit the stop immediately after the gantry starts moving towards upper left (home). I don't let it run to home since the limit switches aren't working - it'll just hit the side and the motors keep running.

Once I have it stopped in the middle of the bed - I can jog the laser head around (sort of) - X+ and X- work if I press the bottoms on the controller, X+ jogs continuously if I hold down the X+ button, but X- minus doesn't really work continuously if I hold down the X- button.

For Y, only the Y- bottom works (in steps and continuous jog) Y+ does nothing.

For Z, both buttons only move the table up. No down.

Do you expect these will work once I figure out the homing, or is this another problem I will have to solve?
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

I got the limit switches and homing working by jumpering the 24V/Ground leads from the X and Y limit switches to the main 24V input to the board. So that's good. The machine correctly homes when I power up now. Yay!

The bad news is that I'm having several issues with moving the laser head around - Y axis will only move in the Y- direction. Y+ does nothing (either on the board or from the software). I haven't tried lasering anything yet since I can't move the laser head around correctly.

X axis appears to be working correctly. I have an apparent issue with the stepper motor for the X-axis but I don't think it's related to the T9 board - I was having the same issue with my previous controller. I need to get into the machine and replace that motor because it's stuttering when it goes in the X- direction (same issue I was having before).

I am going to revisit how I connected the stepper motors. I'm hoping I can sort it out just through the connections from the motor drivers.

One other thing that is important - when the machine homes itself, it sets the zero, zero point offset from the top left corner of the bed, so I need to figure out how to change that. That's probably in the software, right?

Mason
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

OK, I just noticed on the connection diagram for the 2-phase motors (which is what my machine has) there is a note that says "For drivers with PUL+ and DIR+, connect those to the +5V on the controller board."

On my previous control board, the drivers were connected to Pul+ and Dir+.

Does this mean I take all 3 leads (Opto, PUL, DIR) and connect them to the 5V input on the T9 for the x and y axes?
tabarishneo

Post by tabarishneo »

Hi, i'm a new member, and i'm having some troubles with my DSP T9 brand new card. I did the wiring just as the diagram you put above in some answer. but my limits isn't working (i'll try tomorrow switching to a 24v feed) and my Y axis isn't moving at all. I've checked all the wiring and it appears to be OK, switched the stepper (in case I have damaged the Y stepper) and moving the dip switches according to it, it tries to move, but it doesn't. is that supposed to happen? what do I do, i'm in this for 4 weeks and still cannot make my y axis to move. someone can help me out?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Simply way to solve your issue is to replace the limit switch to a regular mechanical switch or a magnetic type without feeding power required. If you have to use electrical type limit switch, find one with 5V power.

I don't know why you couldn't get Y to move. If Y didn't move and didn't get the Y limit switch to trigger, chance is that you will not get much Y range.
So, fixed your limit issue before anything else.

In most case, it is either wiring issue (most people believed that they have correct wiring but the fact is that 90% were not the case!), or setting issue, the UM or the range. So, take sometime, read the document and check your wiring. I can only able to give some advise but I won't be able to oversight your project step by step. Worst case is that, you can send the controller card back to us to run test on it to make sure it is nothing wrong. But over 99.9% it is not an issue from the card. Remember that basic electronics skill and hands only are required to do laser DIY. It is not easy to as doing "Plug & Play" like a PC.

Marco
tinymaninside

Post by tinymaninside »

I have wired up the limit switches with an separate 24V supply. The machine is homing correctly now.

Marco - can you please answer this question for me?

"On the connection diagram for the 2-phase motors (which is what my machine has) there is a note that says "For drivers with PUL+ and DIR+, connect those to the +5V on the controller board."

On my previous control board, the drivers were indeed connected as Pul+ and Dir+.

Does this mean I take all 3 leads (Opto, PUL, DIR) and connect them to the 5V input on the T9 for the x and y axes?"
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes
For 2M415, the Opo is equivalent of +5V on other type of stepping motor driver
See the manual: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3603

I may add another diagram for other type motor driver to avoid confusion. On X7 manual, it should show

Marco

Return to “DSP T9”