Wiring tube with "Ceramic High Voltage Wire Jacket"

thejuggernaut

Wiring tube with "Ceramic High Voltage Wire Jacket"

Post by thejuggernaut »

Just got one of these and it has a ceramic jacket to hook up the high voltage line to. My old Reci just had a screw you screwed a wire with a crimped and soldered eye on to. Should I solder my wire and lead together, then slide them into the ceramic insulator? I know on some of the other tubes, where it just has a lead sticking out of the tube, they tell you not to solder on them, but with a 1' lead on this one, would that be ok? Don't want to screw up a brand new tube!

Regards,

Taylor
Techgraphix

Re: Wiring tube with "Ceramic High Voltage Wire Jacket"

Post by Techgraphix »

The soldereing should not be done for tubes where a small metal pin sticks out of the glass. 1) this metal is very hard to solder well 2) the glass will almost certainly crack.
But is you have a kind of plug that slides into that ceramic part, i can't think of any reason why you couldn't solder this plug first and then slide it into that ceramic connector.
But, to be honest, i have no idea how it looks in real. A photo may help.
It can also be that there is nothing to solder. Then you have to stick the blank wire through the hole, bend it and slide this into the ceramic terminal...

Kees
thejuggernaut

Post by thejuggernaut »

It is a large rectangular block with a hole drilled 3/4 of the way through it. It also has a long cylinder that slides into it. The cylinder has two smaller holes drilled through it, so you stick both wires through them....loop them together, then solder them....you can then slide it back into the block. It mainly just acts as an insulator, so you don't have to install a ton of layers of shrink wrap then a silicone tube over the joint. I soldered it and it works great. Almost as easy as the RECI. Almost.....
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Can you post a picture of it, just for info... i can't find a similar connection and with a picture i have a more clear view on it..

Kees

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”