60 Watt Laser tube - What pump/radiator/fan to use?

overkill71

60 Watt Laser tube - What pump/radiator/fan to use?

Post by overkill71 »

Marco,

I am fixing to order the laser tube and pump from you for my next laser setup with LO X7 controller setup. Excellent controller by the way, this is my 3rd LO X7 and I Love it! The tube and cooling is all that I have left for this machine to get up and running.

I am looking at getting this tube:

http://www.lightobject.com/SP-60W-CO2-S ... e-P70.aspx

and I wanted to know if this submersible pump would work for it:
http://www.lightobject.com/108Lm-171GPH ... -P575.aspx

I will be running it through this cooling radiator:
http://www.lightobject.com/12inch-300mm ... -P713.aspx

also, would this fan work with that radiator? :
http://www.lightobject.com/Monster-15cm ... -P615.aspx

Also, is there a brushless speed controller or something that I need to make the fan operate? Where do I get the fans power from?

My water 5 gallon reservoir is going to sit about 36 inches below the tube.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Techgraphix

Re: 60 Watt Laser tube - What pump/radiator/fan to use?

Post by Techgraphix »

To be honest, only a decent cooler will keep your tube lasting long and perform well. I also used all kinds of radiators, fans, peltier-elements etc etc. After shortening the life of the tubes during longer work and in summer, i bought a CW5000 - chiller
I'm happy since and my tube still lives after 2 years with almost the same performance..
If i where you, i would skip all the hassle with ventilators/radiators/buckets full of coolant etc and buy one of those chillers..
Marco has some nice chillers in store...

Kees
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

'Open system' may work fine for 60W without chiller. But you need to keep refilling water and changing water because dust and dirt may an issue after several weeks used. May sure water stay around 23'C and the tube will happy. May be you should consider my new water chiller "LO-600W" with 800W cooling power. I'm selling it for $450 only.

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Thanks for the replies. Actually the chiller is in my plans but not my budget at the moment. I have a large job that I need both the machines going on and at the end, the profits will convert both machines to coolers. I am planning the current setup listed in my initial post then swapping to the chiller in the near future for both of my lasers.

Would the items in my first post work together as listed? Also, what power supply do I need for the chiller fan I listed if it will work?

Thanks!

************************************************************************************************************************************************************
UPDATE on if items will work....Ordered it all anyways and Yes, it all works together nicely. The monster fan, just clipped the leads off and used the hot and ground leg with a multi voltage adapter set at 12V and works great.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hello,

I just wanted to add my experience with the same fan and radiator. I had to make an adapter in order to mount the fan to the radiator. The bolt patterns are different. Here's two photos showing what I did.
rad_fan.jpg
rad_fan.jpg (305.65 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
rad_fan_adapter.jpg
rad_fan_adapter.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
The fan is great, it really pulls the air through the radiator. I was also recommended to use the 12v water pump ( http://www.lightobject.com/10Lmin-158GP ... -P511.aspx ) and use the larger silicon hose ( LSR-WTUBE8X12 ). The combination is perfect and it showed how poor the performance of the "Power Head" aquarium pump that came with my machine was.

-Tim
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Tim great setup. I actually did get the fan/radiator setup and iit works great. I have since ordered and received the LO-800W chiller and it is awesome, I have it on my big laser, using the radiator setup still on my DK40.

Thanks!
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

Watch out for cooling using a fan. It can only cool down to the ambient temperature of the room or the outside if your radiator is outside.

So, if your room is 25 degrees that's no good. If your radiator is outside and you live in Alaska that's fine but might be a little too cold!

Keep an eye on the drum temperature when you use it for extended periods or you can damage the laser tube if it gets too hot.

My experience of this is buying my machine from another user and he only used 5 litres of water with no cooling. I ran the laser all day and had a look at the bowl of water. Steam rising and the water was 40 degrees!
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm looking at the 600 watt chiller at the moment. My temps in the shop are too close to max for the laser.

-Tim
Tim

Post by Tim »

The chiller is working great. I did have a problem initially with the water pressure causing two hoses on the laser leaking. I changed the small lengths that are on the tube and there has been no further leakage. I wish I would have bought the chiller in the first place. I can confirm there is a relationship between temperature and laser power. As the temperature of the water increases, the power decreases.

-Tim
tansh

Post by tansh »

Higher water temperature also can shortened the life span of the laser tube.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”