AWC608 Freezing and switching languages at random

wontpontificate

AWC608 Freezing and switching languages at random

Post by wontpontificate »

Good Afternoon!

Recently, I noticed that the ammeter of my 60w laser was reading a max of 8-9mA at 75% power. I later found that at 80, 90, and 98% power, I got the same results.

My first thought was that my PSU had gone bad. While trying to diagnose I ran a couple of lower powered jobs. During this, my AWC608 started acting up -- first it locked up during a job, and when reset went into power failure resume and resumed the job. Then it started locking up at the end of a run, requiring a reset, and now (in a space of 48 hours) it will start reverting to Chinese language in the middle of a job, though a quick power cycle brings it back to english. Before the locking and freezing started, I noticed that it would display static X and Y coordinates on the display when the machine was working instead of the usual work timer.

My questions are:

1) is it possible that the controller problems are causing my laser power issues, rather than the laser power supply?
2) Conversely, is it possible that if my laser psu is bad, it could be negatively affecting the controller?
3) Would a factory reset of the controller possibly resolve this issue?

Thank you!
Tech_Marco

Re: AWC608 Freezing and switching languages at random

Post by Tech_Marco »

Look like you may have either a bad power supply or bad laser tube. When laser tube is running out of gas, it could cause arcing and got the LPSU damaged. At the same time, the arcing could cause controller board freezing or reboot. You need to check if you have good grounding that used to discharge electromagnetic feedback generated by the LPSU. Arching is very bad to the LPSU and to the controller. In general, even good grounding can't discharge fast enough to solve the electrical current from the arcing

Marco
wontpontificate

Tech_Marco wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 am Look like you may have either a bad power supply or bad laser tube. When laser tube is running out of gas, it could cause arcing and got the LPSU damaged. At the same time, the arcing could cause controller board freezing or reboot. You need to check if you have good grounding that used to discharge electromagnetic feedback generated by the LPSU. Arching is very bad to the LPSU and to the controller. In general, even good grounding can't discharge fast enough to solve the electrical current from the arcing

Marco
Ah, I suspected a bad LPSU. I have a new-ish tube that has been working beautifully since installed about 9 months ago, but the LPSU is original on this machine from 2006 or so. I replaced the controller with an AWC608 from you back in 2013. I'll get a new power supply ordered from you shortly.

Thank you!

-C
wontpontificate

I've replaced the LPSU with one I picked up from you this afternoon. I posed another thread in the electronics section about how PWM control isn't working, but I'm also still getting some DSP issues.

When I did a test engraving job to try and calibrate power, the DSP screen started flashing and resetting. When removing power from the LPSU and running the job again (without laser) there are no issues.

I've followed the wiring harness and found that the LPSU has a direct connection to the earth pin on the power input connector.

Thanks!

-C
wontpontificate

Problems have been solved.

I spent some time today taking everything apart, re-terminating things, and spraying out all contacts with contact cleaner. Once I got it back together and waited for the chemicals to flash off, everything is working as expected!

Thank you again for your help!

Return to “DSP 608”