Having a hard time dialing in backlash on an R5

Derandz

Having a hard time dialing in backlash on an R5

Post by Derandz »

I've been working on raster images only.
Backlash setting in Config/System setting for the speed I'm engraving at is not working as it should.
Marking at 125mm/s
Settings are not explained well enough in the manual to make sense.

Can you help me to determine what the following means?
Reverse Interval?
Offset Repay?

Do I use a negative number like the 708?

The manual is very frustrating! :evil:
chad1

Re: Having a hard time dialing in backlash on an R5

Post by chad1 »

I can't help exactly with your question, but I can offer some comments in general about backlash. I have a lot of experience in cnc and moving things.

First backlash compensation is in general is a last ditch effort. You always need to try to get the backlash out of the mechanicals of the system. Software backlash never works like you think it will.
It will provide ok results in some instances and will mess up others. So the rule of thumb is to get it out physically. And not use it unless you absolutely have no other choice and realize that it can't make up for sloppy mechanicals.

Second. Have you tried tuning your sweep parameters under the user tab? I got my sweeps looking better by tuning that tab.

Chad
SWMS

Re: Having a hard time dialing in backlash on an R5

Post by SWMS »

I'd agree with Chad

Check your steppers and if needed file a flat on them. Make sure there is no play in any carriages and everything is done up nice and right. Make sure the grub screw on the pulley is positioned over the flats when doing them up.

Tension your belts as best you can. If you don't have a method of tensioning your belts properly then use your laser to make a contraption for tensioning them. ( I had to )

Make sure your steppers are running in their sweet spot.
High voltage = speed but it also means less current which means less torque.

More microsteps on your drivers also equal less torque but better resolution. You can apparently have less steps and then step up the resolution by having an indirect drive. Also make sure the switches for the current on your stepper drivers match the motor. Too little and the drive won't have enough torque.

This shouldn't be a problem on a laser though as unlike a cnc router you have no forces pushing back so to speak. You do need to make sure the stepper has enough torque to slow down the axis in an acceptable amount of time or it will overshoot.

I think that's it.

Return to “DSP R5”