Voltmeter Question

Lawson.Travis.I

Voltmeter Question

Post by Lawson.Travis.I »

Is there a way to measure current with a standard Voltmeter?

I have been unable to find a reasonably priced digital panel multimeter, and most are overkill as I only want to measure volts and amps. The space I have available for the meter is limited, and could not fit an additional meter. The 3.5 digit mini LED voltmeter fits perfect, but I would like to add additional functionality.

I have seen scematics for DIY volt and amp meters, and they look identical save the i/o portions (along with connecting in series, the amp meter versions have additional resistors). This leads me to belive it is possible, but I have as yet been unable to find an explaination of how or why. Or, for that matter, a detailed reference on the ins and outs of current and amp metering.

Also, in the "panel meter connection" pdf available on this site, one picture has what is labeled a voltmeter hooked up to measure amperage. Is this a typo? or can I configure my meter this way and measure amps?

If this is, in fact, not possible, then do I really need to measure amperage? I'm building a variable power supply, so knowing voltage is a must, I know that much. Is that all I need? Am I worrying myself over nothing? Or is the answer so obvious, I'll feel like an idiot when it is explained to me?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Return to “Digital/ Analog Meter”