ETC-JLD404AH-B Powered by the Same Batteries It's Monitoring

rmartin930

ETC-JLD404AH-B Powered by the Same Batteries It's Monitoring

Post by rmartin930 »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and not entirely sure of what I'm doing, but...

I'm trying to build a portable 12V DC power source for amateur radio field operations, using LiFePo battery packs, a small 20W solar panel and a 5A Lithium solar charge controller. I'm interested in the JLD404 for its apparently rich capability around AH calculation in addition to the typical amp/volt/power monitoring you find with other meters. I also like its form factor, because I'm looking for something that can be panel mounted. Load on this system will typically draw very low amperage (approximately -1 to 4 amps), however I want to provide for drawing as much as 22 amps for situations where I might want to operate a radio at greater power levels (e.g., 50-100W).

My question is around powering the JLD404. Many watt/ammeters I find do not require a dedicated power source to operate, but this one apparently does. I'm wondering if it's reasonable to use the same battery bank I'm trying monitor, using the JLD404, as the JLD404's own power source; and, how would this be wired? In other words, I only have one 12V source (not including the solar panel). This is what I want to monitor, but I also want to use it to power the JLD404. I don't want to have to deploy the solar panel all the time (primarily for keeping a trickle charge on the batteries when weather conditions are suitable), so this can't be the power source for the meter; and, I'm trying to avoid having to configure a separate, dedicated battery into this system.

I've read about the meter's ability to monitor its own usage and am wondering if this might be relevant to what I'm trying to do, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Rob
Tech_Marco

Re: ETC-JLD404AH-B Powered by the Same Batteries It's Monito

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello Rob:

I believed I replied you by email. Anyway, nothing to lose to reply one more time through the forum. The JLD404 meter all built-in isolated power module. That said you can share the power being measured without to use a dedicated power sources to power the meter.

Marco

Return to “Digital/ Analog Meter”