Fusion 360 to T9 DSP controller

musher2d

Fusion 360 to T9 DSP controller

Post by musher2d »

Just seeing if anyone has been able to get jobs from Autodesk Fusion 360 to their laser cutter....If so what post processor settings are you using and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
yurirage

Re: Fusion 360 to T9 DSP controller

Post by yurirage »

I was hoping for this workflow as well, but it doesn't appear possible. Fusion 306's cam module is primarily intended to output G-code, as far as I know. With my limited experience so far using the T9 controller, I do not see a way to upload G-code directly.

The workflow from Fusion 360 to the T9 controller would be simplest if you could export sketches to DXF, and then import those DXFs to LaserSoft. However, I've had extremely limited success with DXFs in LaserSoft. Instead, it seems that I have to export Fusion 360 sketches to DXF, then use Inkscape to convert them to SVG, and then finally import them with limited success to LaserSoft. If it doesn't work the first time, I try reversing the path in Inkscape and then importing to LaserSoft, which seems to fix some problems. I've also had some success using the Inkscape DXF plugin, saving with the ROBOSPLINE option.

Overall, I'm rather disappointed with the DXF import feature in LaserSoft. I've tried DXFs produced by several software suites as well as downloaded sources, and my success rate is probably less than 10%. I can increase that to about 80% with some file manipulation by Inkscape, but it's still pretty dodgy.

I'm left with the following questions:

Has anyone else discovered a more straightforward workflow from Fusion 360 to the T9?

Has anyone else had better success with DXF files and LaserSoft?

--Yuri
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Currently the LaserSoft support Illustrator 8.0 and AutoCad (DXF) 2004 or R12-R14. Programmers will try to make it to support more latest version in next couple months. Currently, they are working on 'Re-cut' features and a new add-on module for the CorelDraw 2018.

In the mean time, an alternative way to solve the compatibility issue is to have your 3rd drawing programs to save file format to older version. It shouldn't be any problem for cutting. I have no issue for making signs for our customers who sent job files in latest version. I used CorelDraw or have files version change from Online file conversion site which is free of charge. Not the best solution but at least it works in the mean time.

Marco
yurirage

Post by yurirage »

I've discovered a reasonable workflow from Fusion 360 (or any other late version DXF output) to LaserSoft 7.21 or 7.22.

I downloaded what appears to be a free for use copy of RDWorks. It's capable of importing any DXF I've thrown at it, and subsequently exporting to multiple formats. I'll avoid posting a link to avoid any conflict of interest with another vendor, but the software fairly easy to find via web search.

So, I create the DXF file using one of several CAD suites, import that DXF to RDWorks and then immediately export to .ai format for use with LaserSoft. LaserSoft seems to handle .ai files with no problems.

I hope that helps. Looking forward to better file handling from LaserSoft in upcoming versions.
--Yuri

Return to “DSP T9”