t9 Upgrade - Laser Won't Fire

lockandmortice

t9 Upgrade - Laser Won't Fire

Post by lockandmortice »

Just upgraded my machine from an old ruida 63332g controller to the t9 and I have managed to get everything working except that the laser tube won't fire. The tube is a 100w recti laser with a 28mA recti psu. The water cooler is working fine, no change from the previous setup.

I have it wired ttl->L and pwm > "in," I have also tried ttl+>H and still nothing not even a flicker.
I've also tried every combination of parameter I can think of in LaserSoft

The previous setup on the ruida used the l-an1>"in" which is an analog voltage instead of pwm so I don't know if that has something to do with it.
The specs on the recti psu indicates some pwm compatibility [from the psu specs: "PWM can also be used in footer 6, but the pulse peak is required to reach 5V, and the frequency should be above 20K"]. So obviously I tried setting the freq higher in the parameters to no effect.
I'm a little fuzzy on they might mean by the "pulse peak" part and how that would relate to my new t9/lasersoft setup...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
~Ryan
Tech_Marco

Re: t9 Upgrade - Laser Won't Fire

Post by Tech_Marco »

I believed that you have water protection controlled by the Ruda old dsp card.
If so, did you hook up the 'Wp' to the T9 water protection? Or, did you hook up the machine water protection to the laser power supply 'Wp' to enable it?

Marco
lockandmortice

Post by lockandmortice »

No...the water protection was wired directly into the wp port on the lasers power supply. I also made sure the water protection box was unchecked in the Lasersoft parameters. The only protection wired into the old ruida was an open door switch and I just had shorted together most of the time anyway.

Actually, I don't remember if I reinstalled the door sensor leads into the t9 dsp, I'll check that tomorrow...maybe I did something stupid with those wires and it's messing with the laser.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

What ever you did, IF the Waterflow-switch is connected to the HV-powersupply, you have to connect all WP's on the controller to GND (if this controller has two laser-outputs, you have to connect them both to GND)
IMHO it is better to connect the waterflowswitch to the controller instead of the HV-powersupply.. If the flow malfunctions, the controller will know it and stop. Most probably you will also see a warning in the display about the waterflow..
If you connect the waterflowswitch to the HV-supply, your machine will work fine except for firing.. then try to find the cause :roll:

You might also check the level of inputs like the door-interlocks (Cap-protect, footswitch etc.).. Some controllers require a 1-level where others want to see a 0-level. Many can be configured, but if the setting is wrong, you will have some trouble too..

Kees
lockandmortice

Post by lockandmortice »

Thanks Kees, all good thoughts...I tried grounding both wp and its the same effect as unchecking the wp monitoring in the parameters...i.e. program will run fine but the laser is not firing (the software/t9controller has switchable 0/1 level ports for accessory monitoring). I was hoping to establish a working benchmark before connecting air, exhaust wp etc. to the controller, but I might have to switch the wp over as you suggested...just being lazy.

It is possible there is something going on with the hv-power supply but I'm really hoping its not that.
~Ryan
lockandmortice

Post by lockandmortice »

Update: So going back to the laser this morning I realized I had the dumb and never properly rewired the general output port from the old ruida to the t9...the previous setup only used the 24v external power output for a relay, and one of the General output signal ports for the ammeter.

Is there any documentation on the output section of the t9 dsp? It seems to only have a 5v output.
I've tried wiring the relay directly to the 24v transformer and still no fire.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

To make sure it is not the HV-supply and lasertube, You can connect the HV-supply without controller: a switch and a potentiometer is all you need to fire the laser.... if it works..
like this picture i ripped from the internet:
Kees
lockandmortice

Post by lockandmortice »

Update: Thanks for all the replies...I finally traced the problem to a seemingly innocuous toggle switch for one of the ammeters, which was evidently downstream in the 24v circuit that also threw the necessary relay to fire the laser. How the toggle got switched to off and why it was wired in line with the relay will forever remain a mystery but for now I have a working laser!

~Ryan
Hydrops

Post by Hydrops »

After replacing the controller the laser is not firing too when I try to cut the file but it will fire if I press the laser button on the dsp does this mean it is working properly or does the laser button work with or without wp enabled ?
bobschrum

Post by bobschrum »

Hydrops wrote:After replacing the controller the laser is not firing too when I try to cut the file but it will fire if I press the laser button on the dsp does this mean it is working properly or does the laser button work with or without wp enabled ?
Same thing with my new T9. Tried to run the butterfly demo job and it just goes through the motions, but the laser will fire when I press the laser button. Don't have anything connected to sensor inputs except the xy limit switches. Any ideas?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Check water protection.
On your laser power supply, there should be a terminal named " WP" which is used for the water sensor control input. If you haven't any water sensor installed in your machine, you may connect it to Ground to enable then laser power supply.

If it is not water protection issue, it could be power control issue or layer was not checked fo output. Increase power % and/or check mark the layer to enable no output

Marco
bobschrum

Post by bobschrum »

Tech_Marco wrote:Check water protection.
On your laser power supply, there should be a terminal named " WP" which is used for the water sensor control input. If you haven't any water sensor installed in your machine, you may connect it to Ground to enable then laser power supply.

If it is not water protection issue, it could be power control issue or layer was not checked fo output. Increase power % and/or check mark the layer to enable no output

Marco
The WP on the laser PSU is already connected to a switch to disable the laser. It functions normally: When I press the Laser button on the T9, the laser only fires when the switch is enabled (WP connected to ground).

I don't have anything connected to the Foot, Door or Water 1/2 inputs on the T9 controller. Could that be why? I'm also just operating it from the front panel now--I haven't introduced LaserSoft into the mix yet. (I'm an IT developer with a mindset of testing at every step of the way. :) )
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If you can fire the laser by pressing the Laser button on the LCD control board, it means that the system is ready to some extend. Check your laser power setting, and if you enabled the layer (a square check box next to the layer distinguish by colors).

Marco
bobschrum

Post by bobschrum »

Tech_Marco wrote:If you can fire the laser by pressing the Laser button on the LCD control board, it means that the system is ready to some extend. Check your laser power setting, and if you enabled the layer (a square check box next to the layer distinguish by colors).

Marco
Thanks. I just got the "silk" demo to etch by putting the T9 in manual laser control mode with the power down to 30%. Now I'll change it back and introduce LaserSoft. Will I need to get the latest drivers from ftdichip for Windows 10?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

No, use the default driver. Sometimes Windows do weird things on driver.

Marco

Return to “DSP T9”