Wiring ULS Laser Source to T9 Controller

jtma508

Wiring ULS Laser Source to T9 Controller

Post by jtma508 »

I'm in the process of doing a rebuild of an existing laser. All my motors/limit switches are operating and I'm ready to connect the laser. I'm using a ULS OEM laser and am unsure as to how to connect it to the T9 controller. The power supply for the laser is done. It's the control wiring that has me stymied. Here is the ULS wiring diagram:
ULS Wiring.jpg
ULS Wiring.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
The T9 has an RF, PWM and TTL output. Not sure which should go where for this particular source. The ULS only has one input (Modulation +) for the laser and an input to turn on the HeNe laser. Anyone know how this should be wired?

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Re: Wiring ULS Laser Source to T9 Controller

Post by Tech_Marco »

I haven't used ULS power supply but the connection seems quite standard by looking at the diagram.
Here is my suggestion (doing by your own risk):

1) Pin8 & Pin5 interlock connected together (for testing) by all mean of enable the laser power supply. Or, connect it to a water sensor for no water protection to protect the laser tube from burning.

2) Connect TTL- to Pin3 and connect the DSP controller ground to the Pin9 (common ground)

3) Connect PWM from the T9 to the Pin6.

That should give you laser green to fire a laser. Try to use lower power for testing like 8~10%
By the way, you need to check the maximum current allowable for your laser tube. You can configure the Max_power through software in order NOT over current driven the laser tube

Again, it is just my suggestion and it is up to you to use my configuration or not. We are not liable to any damage that may cause to your system ;)

Regards,
Marco
LightObject
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Thanks Marco... that's about what I figured. With the T9 will I still need the 470ohm current limiting resistor at pin 3? Also, is there a connection I can make to turn on the HeNe laser at pin 11? There are lots of outputs on the T9 but they're not documented (yet).
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

No, I don't think that you need the resistor 470ohm. I believe that it is used only if you want to fire the laser manually by applying DC5V. In order to protect the photo diode, it need a current resistor 470 ohm to protect it. ie: I = V/R = 5V/470 = 10mA which is very safe for a diode.

Yes, you need a resistor (+/- 470ohm) on Pin11 because you're applying an external DC sources (5V).

Those output are reserved for most. I will contact my partner there to figure out each output in. I think be able to turn on an air pump is a great feature by layers, agreed?

Marco
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Agree. The air pump feature is a great idea. But given the other outputs available on the T9 there is all manner of automation possible.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I believe the output "Wind" on T9 is what the air pump should means to. I'll find out all other Output see if any available for some features
Stay tuned

Marco
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Hi Marco... So I wired the laser source as we discussed and shunted the interlock (connected Pins 5 & 8). As soon as I turn the laser power supply on --- without any job running --- it begins to fire. I see that during idle both TTL- and PWM show +5v. TTL+ shows low (<1v) on idle but goes high when the job is started. Any suggestions? It almost looks like TTL+ should go to Modulation +.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If so, use TT+
You are getting closed!
Wait for your test!

Marco
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Definitely getting close. That worked but it seems as though I have no control over the laser power. It modulates the laser but although I have the power set at 3% it certainly looks like it's running at 100%

Also, on another note, my X-axis seems to be operating at 2x scale. The controller reports my X position as 41 but based on the ruler on the machine it seems to be exactly twice that. The Y-Axis is where it would be expected to be. I've tried every micro step value for the X and it doesn't seem to change.

I'm SOOOO close to getting this to work!!!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I forgot to ask you a question: is it a RF laser tube or a CO2 laser tube?
I have a feeling that we're dealing with a RF laser tube instead.
Can you post a picture of your machine and the laser tube for review?

You need to calibrate the X,Y step distance by using the 'um' calculator. I have posted the step by step on the "FAQ" of how to do it

Marco
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Definitely an RF laser. Here's a pic of a similar unit.

uls.jpg
uls.jpg (58.51 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If RF, then you don't use the PWM connection from the DSP controller but the 'RF'. Plus, on the software, you need to configure the parameter for 'RF' laser tube instead of the regular CO2 laser (default). Frequency set it to "5000"

Marco
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Hey there Marco.... I read through the FAQ about calculating the um value. It refers to an um calculator built into LaserCad. I downloaded and installed LaserCad but can't seem to find any um calculator. What am I missing?
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

Also, as for the laser, I wired RF1 to Modulation + and changed the laser settings in the Software to RF and 5000. When I use the controller to set the power level (10%) that shows in the display. However, when I run a job, the power on the display goes to 0 and the laser doesn't appear to be firing. I've attached the datasheet for the laser source for your reference.
Attachments
ULS laser integration manual June 2002.pdf
(660.35 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
jtma508

Post by jtma508 »

sorry Marco... I found the pulse calculator. Still need help with the laser wiring however.

Return to “DSP T9”