Lightobject new DSP laser controller card

Tech_Marco

Lightobject new DSP laser controller card

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello:

I have teamed up with another controller maker in China. They are going to customize a DSP laser controller card for LightObject
The engraving performance looks great.

Pros:
- Wireless connected to Android tablet or to mobile phone to control the laser machine
- Built-in FPGA processor in addition to the DSP chip
- Great engraving
- Materials library
- Remote firmware upgrade through Internet
- 4th axis for the rotary
- Aggressive price. $295 without Wi-Fi or $345 with the module

Cons:
- Screen is 3" which is a little bit smaller than X7

Bonus: The tech team seems very approachable

Currently the maker is working on a few features that may not be included in the first few batches but unlike X7 that need to be presented the card physically for upgrade, the new card can be upgraded through Internet remotely. Plus, the president is very opened mind and willing to take my advise to add features to the new board. This is the main reason I switched from X7 to T9 and will pay more effort on the T9

DSP-T9.jpg
DSP-T9.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 78954 times

Marco
Tech_Marco

Re: Lightobject new DSP laser controller card

Post by Tech_Marco »

I have done a few engraving without too much twist. It is just a preliminary test.

Laser machine: LO900x600
Laser tube: 60W
Speed: 600mm/s
Power: 12~14%
Controller card: P9
Material: White card and cartoon, and MDF

Note: it look like color but it is not! After clean it up with wax, it shows the actual wood color. But the smoke does the trick and surprised me, too. :lol:

Marco
Attachments
P9Test5.jpg
P9Test4.jpg
P9Test3.jpg
WeChat Image_20170616085140.jpg
P9Test2.jpg
P9Test1.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The card arrived! Ready to ship now!
LO-DSPT9B.jpg
LO-DSPT9FRONT.jpg
LO-DSPT9FMain.jpg

Marco
Redgee

Post by Redgee »

Hey Marco, this sounds and looks great, but could you post some screenshots about the new software.

please give us some more information. what are the specs. could i eventualy run it on a Mac too? would it be possible to have a plugin for Visi-Cut, or is it possible to program a plugin.

When it is not, then there is no need for me because a second (LEEtrificatet) smile controller i wouldn't buy!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You can run Windows in Mac right?
So far I haven't seen any controller board run directly under Mac system but through virtual Windows

This is the first launch of the boards with gerneral features but we work closely with the company and will add more plugins and Inkscape is on next agenda. I feel more confidence with this company for new features because the boss seems very easy going and very opened mind. She listened to my advise and take actions right away unlike the current X7 that will take months to years to bed a simple module to be added.

Marco
REdington

Post by REdington »

Tech_Marco wrote: This is the first launch of the boards with gerneral features but we work closely with the company and will add more plugins and Inkscape is on next agenda.

Marco
Hi Marco,

I sent you a email and you pointed me back to the forum.

So how soon will the inkscape plugin be ready???? If I buy the T9 now, how hard will it be to load the plugin to the controller card??

Being that you have some influence on what can be added, I think I want to go with the T9.

Thanks for your time.
Rodney
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hey Rodney

Sorry I have been sick and couldn't answer you quick
I already discussed the Support of Inkescape with my partner and they are working on it.

Marco
REdington

Post by REdington »

Thanks Marco,
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Just received a reply from the team lead person saying that support for Inkescape should be ready by the end of August

Marco
REdington

Post by REdington »

Thanks Marco.

Will the inkscape plugin be a download or will the controller card need to be sent back to you for the new firmware???

Rodney
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is software development and no hardware involved
I don't see any reason that need the card returned for the new features. Btw, T9 supports remote firmware upgrade per engineer unlike X7 that need to be returned for hardware upgrade. That is something Inlike the T9 over X7

Marco
Dannym

Post by Dannym »

Can I get a hardware spec? I downloaded the manual but there's nothing describing how pins work.

I'm guessing the Limit inputs are optoisolated LEDs meant for 5v between + and -. Right? How much current do they need to sink to read "closed"? Optointerruptors sometimes have very weak drives, if it has a low-ohm pullup resistor it may not read "closed".

The other inputs- "foot", "door", "water"... what do they use?

LPWM vs PWM vs TTL+/- and RF 1... I don't know and the manual doesn't say.

"OUT", are they open collector, do they drive out +5v, or drive out +24v?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

We are working on the manual
Soon it will be available

Marco
Dannym

Post by Dannym »

Very excited to see the software development is active! This software has much potential!

But I have some suggestions (using V7.20):
1. Configuration SECURITY. We have a shop with many users. The parameters for bed size, step pulses/inch, and limit switches can be changed by a confused user and break the machine until a technician fixes it. It MUST have a password to protect critical machine config. It is OK if it is a fixed word in the manual the user cannot change. As long as an ignorant user pressing buttons to see what they do cannot just click on it.
2. DO NOT let user turn off air assist! If the cone is in place it will break the lens!
3. Is there a pin for "machine running"? I need a way to turn on purge air 5 sec before the laser starts and leave it on for 1 min after it stops.
4. Limit switches being active-high or active-low must be able to vary by axis.
5. Limit (zero) switches are typically not located at work zero. e.g. the homing goes left until it trips the switch. We call this -0.1", and the machine never cuts there, the machine only travels X=0 to X=24. If that switch trips while running it is an error that stops the job. So limit switch config must have an offset.
6. Z-focus for automatic Z-lift on Layer parameters. I am used to Universal Laser and would say to use their system: 1. You must specify the lens, like 2.0" lens. 2. Z-home changes the current Z-coordinate so Z=0 will be the focal point with the current lens. If you change the lens length later, the current reported Z coordinate changes without rehoming.
That is, if your homing switch is 6" below the lens, and you have a 2" lens, when it homes it trips the Z-coordinate is rewritten to Z=4". Jog to Z=0 is the focal point and perfect for cutting. Tell the software you are changed to a 1" lens and it will then say Z=1" without jogging.
Inside your Layer Parameters, you say 0.25" for 1/4" wood. Before it starts cutting it will move the bed to Z=0.25". We do change the Z-focus on different layers, you focus on the surface to engrave then focus deeper (along with more power) to cut all the way through.
7. I don't understand Rastering. Again, I am used to ULS, but I expect to see this: 1. You can change dithering methods from offset to image density, if you are VERY cool, Stucki algorithm or other options. But also 2. True 3D mode. The power is modulated at the full KHz of the tube, by greyscale shade. So there is no dithering, it is the fastest PWM possible and acts like analog. And also: 3. true black/white. We use this if the user has made their own dithering method with Photoshop/Gimp. See you might have made a custom dither of black and white pixels at 100 lines/in but laser at 200 lines/inch. When you do this, the second line is a resampled blend of the first and second line and the average is grey. You do not want it to dither this AGAIN inside the controller.
8. Close Shape needs 3 options: Connect with a new line, connect by moving both points, or connect with a curve (not essential)
9. Lead-in/lead-out will only work from the outside of a shape. If you want to cut out a square, throw the square away and save the rest, you must lead-in from the INSIDE. I think you'd have to lead into an edge, I don't see how to lead into a corner. This is very important on plasma, maybe not so much on laser.
10. I need an alignment mode! It should have: 1. 4 buttons for "jog to this corner" 2. % power to fire at 3. Time to fire at (in 0.1 resolution, up to 60 sec). 4. FIRE button. It will not fire if door interlocks are open. This MUST be in the password-protected section.
11. Detect/delete DUPLICATE vectors. These are very easy to accidentally do, our users do it all the time and it burns twice all over.
12. "LIGHT". This button MUST BE REMOVED. It is very dangerous! I will literally have to return this product if you do not. It it on many controllers- it should NEVER be here.

Broken things:
1. When I'm making "connected straight lines", I hit Escape and it does not stop, I keep making lines. Right click without moving sometimes brings up a new menu- which I do not need- or, sometimes it stops the line like I need.
2. Undo does not always undo the right thing. If I make a square, then start that "connected straight lines" and make a bad segment I do not want, then hit Ctrl-Z, it does not undo the last segment, the segments are still drawing, but the square is deleted. If I do a lead-in and undo, it should undo the lead-in but instead it deletes the last shape generated.
Dannym

Post by Dannym »

A discovery-

The T9 has a relatively short cable between the panel and controller. It will not reach to the back of my machine where the controller is mounted.

This is an unusual cable- a DB26 (not DB25). It has 3 rows of pins. This may be difficult to pass through openings in the frame, it is wide. In fact the cable itself is pretty thick.

The cable is fixed to the display panel, there's no plug on that side. So you cannot replace it with a longer cable but of course you can simply extend it. You will not be able to remove the panel alone from the machine without pulling its cable through.

However, inspection found that only FIVE pins are used. So it's not a big deal to solder a new cable, but, again, you can only extend the existing cable because there's no receptacle on the display unit.

Return to “DSP T9”