K40+X7 Firing full power

millerjd

K40+X7 Firing full power

Post by millerjd »

Have this PSU https://www.flickr.com/photos/124204237@N03/33185503360 in my K40. With the upgrade, the AWC708C PWM goes to IN, TTL goes to L all the way on the right of the image. I will test the TTL voltage this afternoon but no matter what power percentage I use, it reports firing over 15mA on the display from the kit and it always burns the wood the same. Even if I use 1%, 0.1% I get the same affect.

I can only change the level of burn by changing the speed which results in a lower quality burn which still burns too much. Anyone have an idea or run into this during their upgrade?

Thanks in advance,
Jason.
Tech_Marco

Re: K40+X7 Firing full power

Post by Tech_Marco »

Not quite sure how you connect the "TTL". I don't know what is the pin to the right most of the image (don't like to guess). You better to check the legend mark underneath. If I am not forgotten, you should connect it to either P+ or P- while the K is for water protection. You need to review the system connection diagram and review your connection. Something must be wrong there

Marco
millerjd

Post by millerjd »

The pin on the most right is marked L. It only has a TTL LO marked 'L' next to the pin. The 'P' is stock already connected to the water protection circuit. The K is the test button connections.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

That doesn’t sounds right to me
I can see a makingon the PCB board showing “G P L G In 5v”
The “L- “ on the left most (not Right most) is for the laser ground.

So, you shou connect PWM to In, TTL to P, and use K for water protection. You don’t need to use K for fire test if you have our controller because you can do fire test on the keypad

Time to rewrite your system I guess

Marco
millerjd

Post by millerjd »

The L- (Laser Cathode) is on the most left and just plain L is on the most right. P G came connected to the water protection device when I bought it and works as advertised.

I moved TTL to K- and same result but here is where I win "Idiot of the year award".

All this work of being careful making sure connections went to the right location according to the lightobject connection diagram, I put the LASER1 phoenix connector where LASER2 is (obviously no second laser). So I was only changing LASER1 settings and getting no where since LASER2 was firing at the same default power.

Thanks for your time Tech_Marco and hope others learn from my mistake.. :mrgreen:
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

hammer :eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, good to know it is working now

Marco ;)
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

I don't have this issue but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the exact wiring for my X7 to the k40 power source. I have the power brick that was posted above so it doesn't line up exactly with the diagram that was posted by LO on the other section of this forum. If I try to test fire the laser with the controller it won't work. It won't work if I use the test button on the power source either. I can only get a test fire to work if I unplug the Phoenix connector from the X7 and then use the test button on the power source.

Currently my connection are pwm to IN as stated previously, G to G, and the third is where I'm having a hard time figuring out where it goes. I have the P, G K+ and k- as options. I'm ordering a water protect unit from LO since my K40 didn't have one so I'll need to know how that gets wired in too.
Thanks for any help!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If I'm not forgotten, the TTL from the DSP controller is connected to the "P". Then, connect a water sensor across "K+" and "K-".
Give it a try

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

I can hook up the TTL the P but if I want to test this before installing the water sensor as I haven't ordered it yet how can I bypass it?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes you can. Just connect the K+ and K- should bypass it. But make sure you double check before fire up the laser. Without water running in the 32W laser tube, it cracked in 8~9 seconds.

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Awesome, thank you! Since I'm just testing and going to be doing mirror alignment I am very careful to be sure the water is running. Once, I get to the point of running projects I'll be sure to have a water safety valve installed.
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

I've given this a try and no luck. As long as the phoenix connector is plugged into the X7 controller from the Laser power source it won't test fire. I tried crossing the K+ and K- to bypass the water protection and it didn't change anything. I'm not sure what I'm missing but something definitely off.
I have the TTL plugged in the P, the G right next to P is not plugged into anything. The K+ and K- are crossed, then the G is in the Ground on the controller, followed by IN is plugged into the PWM on the controler and finally 5V is not plugged into anything.

I also ran into another problem tonight while aligning mirrors and using the test button on the power source. I noticed that the X axis motor got really hot, like I can't even touch it hot where as the motor that moves the gantry in the Y direction wasn't even warm. What causes this and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

How did you do test fire, by pressing 'Laser' on the LCD control panel? If so, what is the '%' of power being used?
Try connect the Gnd on the DSP to the Gnd of the laser power supply. You may not has closed loop circuit or so call 'return'. In that case, the TTL or PWL signal may not be strong enough to trigger the laser power to set Fire.

When motor is really hot, that mean you're over-driven the motor. For stock K40, I think the X current is about 0.4A while Y axis is either the same or 0.6A. Reconfigure your motor drivers and give it a try

Just be patience, you will get there. It is NO fun to have everything runs in first shot, right? :P

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

I suppose if I wanted it to be easy I wouldn't have made it a project!

I will try connecting both of the ports labeled G on the power supply to the Ground on the DSP and see if that works. I am pressing the Laser button on the control panel with no result. I have also tried pressing the test button on the power source and as long as the DSP is plugged into the power source it doesn't fire using either method. As far as the power I had it set to 20% as "Max Power" and I'm assuming nothing is happening because apiece of paper stuck to the first mirror doesn't even show the slightest sign of burning.

When you say reconfigure what do you mean, make sure I have the max current set to 0.4A. I thought I did but I'll check back and let you know on that one.

EDIT: I had the motor set to 0.5 A I lowered it to 0.3A and I'll see what happens. Still no luck test firing with the control panel. Ive attached a pic of my DSP where it plugs in.

The green and white wires on the ground plug both go to the two spots labeled ground on the power source.

The White wire in the TTL spot goes to the P on the power source and the PWM green wire goes to the IN port.
Attachments
IMG_20180507_213014.jpg
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

I started a new thread in the K40 section so as no to hijack this one anymore. I'd really appreciate any help there if possible.

Return to “DSP X7”