DSP X7 better engraving quality over E5 for photos

tprothma

DSP X7 better engraving quality over E5 for photos

Post by tprothma »

Hi everyone, does anyone know if the X7 with greyscale mode or dithering is better finished photo engraving quality than E5 (dithering only). The techs at Lightobject couldn't really answer definitively due to greyscale mode being new for X7.

Would really appreciate any feedback, I purchased the E5, but before I try to install I'd like to see if I should go for the higher end controller for engraving quality. I can do without the bells and whistles, but don't want to sacrifice the quality.

Tim
tprothma

Re: DSP X7 better engraving quality over E5 for photos

Post by tprothma »

ok, we haven't done any tests yet, but I gave Jin at LO a test pattern to compare, he said the x7 machine was in use when I came by Friday afternoon.
Here's the test pattern:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:728579/#files

I did leave with an X7 controller and some other minor stuff for the swap-over. I guess I won't need to second guess anymore and it seems no one can really answer the quality issue.

Have been playing with RayCam and I was sold on the gcode and other capability - plus all the other bells and whistles. Looks like you can set lower power on greyscale mode for Raycam, and it probably still requires dithering, but I think I'll be doing the pre-processing in other software.
Tim

Return to “DSP X7”