Raycam and Rotary on U axis

overkill71

Raycam and Rotary on U axis

Post by overkill71 »

Hello all,

I probably wont get an answer to this from LightObject because I have a couple other post with no response....guess this is gonna be the usual which is going to make me take my business elsewhere. I upgraded my LOX7 to RayCam and have my rotary on the U axis and have it where it works but I had to change my 415 card to 64 on microsteps to get the thing to look half way correct. I have two 600x400 setups and my other laser setup is running laserCad with the rotary option and it does just fine and the same rotary runs at 16 microsteps on it. I just have to switch the Y axis cable for the rotary, hence why I wanted to U axis option. The problem I am currently having on the upgraded DSP is that I can not get the engraving to change on its width which is the U axis or formerly the Y axis. I have done the motor expected and actual calibration and get no change. I change the diameter and also tried changing the rotation um in the DSP controller and get no change.

Any idea on what I need to change to make the U axis (formerly Y axis)either get wider or narrower? I tried the setting from my laserCad machine and as the dang machines are exactly identical you would think that the same or close setting would work.

Some customer support would be nice......Figured I would give one last try to get some help before I sell it all and move to something else...no support or answers is getting old....
Last edited by overkill71 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
overkill71

Re: Raycam and Rotary on U axis

Post by overkill71 »

After messing with this thing for hours trying to figure it out, I took a hunch and changed the Y AXIS um/pulse number to match what I have the U axis um/pulse at and I'll be damned, it fixed it. Apparently the controller/software or whichever isn't looking at the um/pulse setting of the U axis at all as I changed this number and the pulse per count rotate number and changing them did NOTHING at all. The controller or software is still reading the Y Axis numbers like you have to do in LaserCad......This should be fixed........ Also, when you have the rotary enabled, the controller Y AXIS keys do nothing, they get disabled or something.....You should still be able to move X and Y off key pad seeing as how there is a key for U and Z.....

Here is another tid-bit to help someone else or maybe someone can explain it, I ran a 100mm stainless tumbler with a Y axis um/pulse of 7.614 and u axis of the same number then went to an 88mm tumbler and had to change to y axis pulse to 6.3373...didn't change anything else. when I ran the 88 at 7.614 it was squished, switched to the 6.3373 and it was fine. By the way the 6.3373 is what my x and y axis run at normally.....go figure.

Never been a beta tester before where I had to PAY, that's what it feels like anyways... As you can tell, the lack of support/answers from LO has me a bit pissed. Their site says support available in the forums and in the past I had received good support. Seems like if you hack them off or ask them something they don't want to deal with they just don't answer.....Its not like these forums are overcrowded and slammed with numerous post.

Probably shooting myself in the foot by venting a bit like this in my post, but heck, with the amount of money I have spent with them you expect some kind of service and at this point, what have I got to lose....
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You don't expect me to answer you right away, do you? Every technical question received I have to try it and duplicate it before I can make my suggestion or advise. You may contact the card manufacturer to technical issue if you don't have a solution. Remember that we're not the manufacturer of the card, we're just a reseller. You expect we know everything or solve all your question fast and quick which I wish I could but it won't be the true. BTW, I already left a comment and mentioned that I have been sick since two weeks ago. I take things slowly. But if I have a solution, I will post it asap

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Thank you for getting back. As a customer, I do expect some kind of acknowledgement in a reasonable time and as a business owner, a couple of days without answers is dollars, so as a business owner yourself I am sure you can sympathize a little when you have a problem and cant get an answer. Even if the answer is to stand by you will be looking into it. I know you are just the seller but you are the only point of contact for me on RAYCAM and the upgraded DSP, SINJOE has nothing like it so I default to you. I will try and be more patient in the future.

All of that aside, sorry you have been ill and I hope you fell better soon. I did not see a post where you were sick as I don't read every post because not every post concerns me as a customer. Maybe you could put a sticky post on the main page of the forum stating that responses will be slow due to illness, that way we can all see it and relate to it. Again, apologies for you being sick. I do love the products you carry as I own A LOT of them, my new second chiller arrived today and is fabulous!

As to the issues buried in my post, I hope when you feel better, that you can address them with your programmer that did the RAYCAM upgrades and we can get a favorable resolution. One other item to point out about the controller after the upgrade, when you move the gantry into the origin position to engrave on the rotary and then go into the controller and enable the U axis to engrave, it does disable the Y axis as I noted above. The other thing that happens is that when you are done doing rotary engraving and set back up for regular flat engraving I of course go into the controller and disable the rotary U axis. When I do this the Y axis keys still do not function, you must reset the DSP and let it home out (I have mine set of course to auto home on reset). Once it is homed everything works again.

I hope by posting these issues, others will chime in with some they may be having so we can all work out the bugs.
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Just checking to see if there is any update on getting the LO-X7 DSP controller to look at the U-Axis um/pulse when rotary is enabled instead of it looking at the Y-axis um/pulse. Also, changing the diameter or the steps per rotate in the DSP has no effect.

I have verified that the data from RayCam for the U-Axis is being sent to the DSP, it just isn't being utilized. The DSP is using the Y-Axis data just like in LaserCad. The difference being that when I change from say an 88mm item to a 100mm item I have to change the Y-axis um/pulse to get the graphic to change when engraved. This doesn't work well in business as I basically have to scrap a piece when I run a new diameter item.

Thanks
litterbox99

Post by litterbox99 »

Tech_Marco wrote:You don't expect me to answer you right away, do you? Every technical question received I have to try it and duplicate it before I can make my suggestion or advise. You may contact the card manufacturer to technical issue if you don't have a solution. Remember that we're not the manufacturer of the card, we're just a reseller. You expect we know everything or solve all your question fast and quick which I wish I could but it won't be the true. BTW, I already left a comment and mentioned that I have been sick since two weeks ago. I take things slowly. But if I have a solution, I will post it asap

Marco
I have to agree with 'overkill71'

Marco, you sold us on "RayCam", it's your software and firmware.

To tell us to "contact the card manufacturer to technical issue"
because "we're just a reseller" is like a slap in the face.

I'm ready to spend $600 on a U axis & controller;

http://www.lightobject.com/High-Precisi ... -P795.aspx

I have been happy with LightObject service & parts @ $3500 + plus so far, but this needs rectified.

Who wants to change 'UM" values when switching from Y to U axis ?

I don't.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I don't own the card manufacturer or the source code. I did mention it to him but if the programmer not corporate, there is not much I can do. If you don't want to use RayCam, you can switch back to LaserCad. I have mentioned numerous time but he didn't listen.What can I do, beat him?

I did my best to support the card. I have been struggling to deal with the company so that's why I asked you guys to talk to him for any special issue to let him know that I'm not the only one to get a problem fixed or to get a feature to perform better. He thought I was a trouble maker who keep asking for support. Remember that I can only make advise for new feature(s) to to added but I'm not involved to and design or coding. Bad or good after feature launched is really up to the programmer, not me. If you blamed on me and saying that the firmware is mine(actually it is not belong to me), you are welcome to switch back to LaserCad if that could put me off the hook. The LaserCad isn't phased output or expired but still getting improved the company. I am not going to ask for any more features to be added on the X7 because I don't want to take any blame. Man power and resources are limited but desire is unlimited. No matter how hard I did, anything didn't meet one's expectation and I'll get accused. Enough is enough, I got enough blame.

I am wondering who should you contact when you buy a HP PC from Walmart or Target store when an application can't be operated in Windows ;Target/Walmart or Dell tech support? If you asked me I have to say: HP. Why? Because it just happened and Costco asked me to contact HP for any issue from the system!

I am not trying to make an excuse not to do support. If anything I can't help to get my customer happy I won't hesitate to do so. But when an issue beyond my knowledge, I think it is time for the customer to contact the manufacturer and their contact info is open to the public. You know that the X7 has been improved a lot because of my input. I have done enough to support on this card to make it work better and smooth. For connection issue or settings issue I can provide support. But for coding or bugs I can report to the card manufacturer, whether there is a solution or not, it is up to the the programmer.

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

BTW, I don't think you have to swiitcj the UM fromY to U. You only need to do one calibration for the U axis and stick with the same UM regardless what size of the cylinder object to be used.

On the LCD there is a setting where you can just input the diameter of the object and get the rotary to work. Eveytime you need to change the diameter, you need to hit Rest to take it in effect

The only issue I remembered is that while U in action, you can't move Y axis. This is something I mentioned to the programmer but he refused to change. I have no idea why he declined. The only words I heard from him was "It is difficult to make it to work that way"
Ok, fine. Even though it seems silly to me but at least I got the U axis to work on rotary. I have done my job, as a reseller. How often do you guy hear that a reseller will ask a manufacturer to add new features to the product they're selling? Anyone try to ask FS? to add new feature to their controller card and got any response? Anyone asked the K40 manufacturer or seller to fix tons bugs to the controller?

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Tech_Marco wrote:BTW, I don't think you have to swiitcj the UM fromY to U. You only need to do one calibration for the U axis and stick with the same UM regardless what size of the cylinder object to be used.

On the LCD there is a setting where you can just input the diameter of the object and get the rotary to work. Eveytime you need to change the diameter, you need to hit Rest to take it in effect

Marco
Marco,
Thank you for the useful information on setting the U-Axis um/pulse and then setting the Diameter in the DSP and then after setting it all up, hitting the reset button to make it accept it and take effect. At this point I guess that we just "HOPE" that we do this sequence correctly and hit the run button and see what happens. I did test the procedure that you described and it does work...as Hokey as the process is, it did work. This process should not be this exhaustive and cumbersome. So I have to ask, I have searched the forums and not found anywhere where these little tricks such as hitting the reset button to take effect and all are at concerning the LO-X7 and RayCam. So can you point us to these words of wisdom? Maybe I just didn't see it....

Like litterbox99 stated above, I was sold on the idea, through one of your very own post, that we would get U-axis Rotary capability with the DSP upgrade and RayCam..and how you were going to be able to have so much more input with RayCam....We as consumers go off your word, reseller or not, as our subject matter expert as you are our direct distributor. Litterbox99 is also correct in that when we act off your "sales pitch" and do these upgrades, which I had to Pay for, and then ask for assistance in the forums where we are directed by your site advertising the LO-X7 and then get what comes off as attitude about it, that is a slap in the face to us consumers. I do understand that the written word sometimes does not convey the sentiment in which the words were meant and that there does seem to be a language barrier to some degree, So maybe I am reading your "edited" post above incorrectly. It seems from your post that you have just thrown your hands up and said basically I've done all I can and wont do anymore and we can just call this company or that programmer....and if that is the case I am fine with that and understand but that doesn't bode well for your customer service reputation.

I like others on here have been a loyal and high spending customer of LO and would like to continue that relationship. If this issue cant be resolved amicably and your basically going to not support the LO-X7 due to issues with the program and supplier, will you offer a swap or an upgrade to the DSP T9 which seems to be your new DSP that you do boast as having more input on, for us LO-X7 owners that "Drank the Kool-Aid" so to speak with the upgrade to RayCam and all?

Here is the reason I ask, the information below is what I copied and pasted directly from YOUR website on the LO-X7 ad that you still sell:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
New features added:

- LightObject RayCam v1.2 supports rotary attachment on the 4th axis
- Ramping engraving for stamp making
- Grayscale emulation

and

Unlimited tech support through our Support Forum and free standard version software upgrade for 1 year.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I do understand that you are not the manufacturer or programmer and respect that, but using the same analogy of buying a pc at Walmart, if you bought a pc and brought it home and expected it to have windows 10 and a DVD burner because the ad said so or you got the information that it did have these items or would be able to get them, from a support forum belonging to Walmart where you bought the item, only to find when you got it up and running at home that it had windows XP and a floppy drive, you would take the PC back and get an exchange or refund because the item is misrepresented or falsely advertised. Now, I am not accusing you or meaning to imply that you have done that, just following the analogy is all from the consumers point of view. You have over our many years of doing business, always done your very best to help the customer and provided excellent service, I do feel it is fair for me to state that comment, so that anyone of your future customers that will read through this post before buying your products, just like I did years ago.

I do hope that all of this is taken correctly by you and your company and not that we are flaming you or blame you personally. I personally do understand you have limitations on what you can do with the LO-X7, but as the consumer of said product who was basically promised certain functionalities from the product and paid for an upgrade to get it and I am now not getting those functionalities, I now ask what can we do to make me or us if there are others like me, happy and able to continue our business relationship? A swap to the T9 would be acceptable (if that DSP will do what we want). Basically downgrading back to laserCad is not an option at this point, the LO-X7 with either LaserCad nor RayCam works as advertised for the rotary functionality.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter and I look forward to your response. And if I am shunned or blocked from these forums for expressing my feelings as a consumer, I guess that will be the answer that I am waiting for.

Respectfully,
Russell
"Overkill71"
In researching the forums for similar post I did find that it looks like we are beating a dead horse as this was all somewhat discussed before by user ---upsetDSPowner--- (He has a RAYCAM post) and a few others chimed in as well and reading their post looks like the may have scrapped the DSP X7 all together and went the audrino RAMPS route...Oh well...
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Look, I didn't promise anything here. I only made suggestion to the programmer what feature(s) should be added to the software to make the card be more powerful. I made a wish list and posted on this forum if you remembered. Again (same old..), I was not the programmer and I made no guarantee how are features (if any) will function once launched. Remember that it is all FREE and I charged no one for a dime beside shipping for sending the DSP card for upgrade. You can't say because I made an suggestion and I need to put blame on my shoulder when the programmer didn't do a good job. You're an adult I believe also I hope you consider the mutual feeling, what if you're me. Back to your logic on Walmart, what if no solution reached from the forum, then what? You have two choices in general: return the machine or contact the PC manufacture which I think is the most common sense. If you disagreed, then I'm not going to discuss with you anymore because it would be endless debuting.

As I explained clearly myself here and I don't mind to say ONE more time: the programmer "Li" didn't want to make Y to move while rotary is enabled, even though I made times argument with him. If you don't believe it, you can email him for question. That's why I asked you to contact him direct. TW, nobody make the U axis for rotary but the card sold from us because my great effort (got to give me myself credit). You don't know how much time I spent on it,do you. To you, you may thing it was as easy as of simply making a 'request'. Na... not as easy as you think. It is just like arm racing or debating. If you don't agreed, feel free try it on Ruda, Anywell, Leetro, Retina....etc!

I can tell you that based what I know so far, only the new "T9" can move the XY freely with rotary enabled. That's it! I'm no longer to put any effort on X7 because of the programmer. I saved my energy to support the new T9 because this new team support me as well. If you don't like the X7, sell it and buy the T9 because it is on sale now for only $275! Or, switch back to LaserCad.

Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

You know, I had a really scathing post up here flaming you and LO in general but I decided to not stoop to that level after reflection. Your response and your attitude that EVERYONE will see come through in your post says it all....about your stance and customer service.

Sell I will....At this point, I think I will send back my unit and have it downgraded so that I can use direct manufacturer products and sell that way without having to tie someone to your company with RAYCAM. Oh, and I DID pay for my RAYCAM upgrade, $10 to upgrade and $15 in shipping back to me, all this after you told me I didn't have to pay for either of my two LO-X7's to be upgraded....Have the receipt to prove it.

And dont you Ever talk down to me or be condescending towards me again. I have tried to stay professional with you this whole time and if you cant do the same, then save yourself the public embaresment and dont speak at all. End of story...

anyway, subject IS dead....I have MY answer.

Return to “DSP X7”