Autofocus sensor (pen Style) on X7 DSP

cleanblu

Autofocus sensor (pen Style) on X7 DSP

Post by cleanblu »

I am trying to add autofocus to my machine - i just received the autofocus sensor and I am trying to connect it to the X7.
The sensor has 3 wires - brown, black and blue - does not seem to be just simple on/off switches.
Does anybody have any idea how to hook the sensor up to the X7?
Much obliged
cleanblu

Re: Autofocus sensor (pen Style) on X7 DSP

Post by cleanblu »

I got a answer from the manufacturer - see below - hope it helps - i will try it out this week and post a follow up - Peace

there are three wirings(Brown, Black and Blue) in the automatic focus part.
Black one is wiring with LMT Z- (in china, most of the instrument controlled by negative signal)
Brown one is wiring with 6VDC-36VDC
Blue one is wiring with GND

for the Brown and Blue, you do wiring in Controller or Power supply.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Is it working like you expected?
cleanblu

Post by cleanblu »

it works fine but....
it will only initiate autofocus if i select it manually and only once. i need a way to continuously autofocus, not just at the beginning of my cut, as I am cutting 6 foot segment pipes that are 10 inches in diameter and they are warped on off by uptown half an itch from side to side. I am cutting holes in it.
The autofocus does not have to be fast but has to work continuously.
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

As far as I am aware no amateur / semi pro laser does continuous autofocus.

You have two options. First option Run two jobs. One for one end of the pipe. One for the other.

Second option

My advice would be choose a lens with a long focal point and set the focus half way between your minimum and maximum focus on either end of the pipe

There are two trade offs with using a long focal point lens. One is the beam diameter (kerf) will be wider and you will need to compensate for this.

To calculate this ( this is an example ) cut 5 rectangles up against each other out of some material

Measure the hole width. Take your rectangles and put them up against each other and measure the total width.

(Hole width - rectangle width) / 6 = kerf.

Off set this In the software when cutting your holes. You will probably have a different kerf width from one end of the pipe to another but you can offset this by working out the kerf width at the different focus points. That said half an inch/2 ( you set the laser focus half way between the high and low end of the pipe ) is a very long focus length, 6.25mm! You might not end up with a vertically straight cut on the lower end of the pipe.

The second trade off is that beam won't be as powerful with a longer focus point so your laser might not go through it. I hope that plastic isn't too dense and you have a reasonably powerful laser. :)

Option 1 is easier. Option 2 could work but might not. If it does it will save loads of time.
cleanblu

Post by cleanblu »

thank you for the input - i will try and report back
I have a 150W Reci W6
material is HDPEPipe wall is 11mm thick.
Currently my laser outputs only 100 watt as if i go higher the Reci p12 pair supply shuts down and reports a high voltage short circuit. works fine if i use the laser manually.Almost goes trough but no cigar yet.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

We can get you non-metal real time auto focus (RTAF) system if you need one. See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=3627

Marco
BanksCNC

Post by BanksCNC »

Thats a cool auto focus Marco..Curious how much one of those goes for?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Currently it is an OEM product so the price is quite high: $40000 a set. But I am thinking to develop it myself and hope to bring it down to $3000. I am picking up some programming on Ardunino and ordered a couple distance measurement module. The module is so expensive and retail price range $500 to $1000 each. The precision can.m be as detail as 0.02mm which is far more detail than a laser need. I believe 0.1mm is doing well enough. Therefore, if I can get those module either older model or not Germany made could save big on the price tag. Will see how well I can do. If I can't handle it then I will find someone to partner with to get the hardware designed. I already have the source for the motorized laser head( stepping motor and linear guided). So it shouldn't take over 6 months for the project to wrap up.

Marco

Return to “DSP X7”