DSP upgrade complete, with added WIFI!!

toughpi

DSP upgrade complete, with added WIFI!!

Post by toughpi »

Hi all,
Just thought I would share my thoughts on how happy I am with the X7 DSP upgrade. It only took 2 days to complete and the wiring diagram was so easy to follow, along with the guide from Marco. Only ran in to 1 problem on completion of wiring, which was the laser wouldn't fire. After a quick 1 hour search of the forums I found someone with the exact same problem. No PWM to laser PSU and only 4.6v on the laser firing pin, simple solution ensure you plug all cables to the DSP Controller, regardless of if your only controlling 1 laser. The new system is a breeze to use utilizing Raycam, after fighting with the knockoff software that came with the laser. I now only need 1 PC for my K40 and UP Mini (Flashforge Dreamer on the way) and no dongle required. I'm still yet to hook up air assist as I need a compressor, however I have fitted the new laser head with 18mm focal lens (which further improved my cuts). I've always been able to cut 3mm Acrylic, however I'm now able to cut 6mm Acrylic on 90% at 2mm/s with 1 pass. Once I had everything up and running I added some LED lighting and toyed with the idea of WIFI. I had a TP-Link travel router lying around (I think I payed $29 AUD), so I configured it as a repeater, supplied it 5v and plugged in the Ethernet cable from the DSP. I now have WIFI and can send files to my K40 over my WIFI network with a small footprint and the cost of $29 AUD. This upgrade may seem daunting however do some reading double check wiring and ask questions and you will end up with a quite capable laser for a small price. If anyone observes any issues in the pics let me know.

cheers.
Wiring complete and some test runs
Wiring complete and some test runs
Wiring
Wiring
Travel router
Travel router
Front panel
Front panel
hodgeac

Re: DSP upgrade complete, with added WIFI!!

Post by hodgeac »

Looks great. I'm interested in that panel you've got your lcd mounted in. Did you design that or buy it somewhere?
toughpi

Post by toughpi »

Thanks, designed the panel myself in raycam, had to play around with the mounting holes when I cut it as I hadnt calibrated the laser correctly at that point so it was cutting 6mm short. Also had to slightly modify the controller, just the 3 beveled mounting lugs. The panel consists of E-stop, amp meter, on/off switch and laser arm buttons and the dsp.
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Hi, i just had mine upgraded also, how do you setup the wifi? Dont see the option anywhere. Any insturction would be great.
toughpi

Post by toughpi »

The wifi module is now a product available for the latest dsp controller. I upgraded with the X7, the wifi is not an option. I simply bought a tp-link travel router and configured it as a repeater for my home network, then mounted it in the electronics bay. I then cut a micro usb cable exposing the positive and negative wires to power it from one of the AWC708's 5v outputs (the travel router was micro usb powered). Then I custom made a short ethernet cable to go from the dsp ethernet I/O to the travel router. Once fitted, power up the laser and check that the lasers IP address is within the master routers address range (this is done through network settings on the dsp). From there open up raycam and enter your IP address for communication mode on the top right. Basically thats it, if you do not wish to use your home network you could configure the router as a normal AP and connect just to the lasers router and not your shared home network. Send questions
toughpi

Post by toughpi »

Link to router:
http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/deta ... R702N.html

Price: $30 AUD

Router can be seen in pic 3 titled travel router, top right (light blue square box with yellow ethernet cable).
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for posting this! I purchased the tp-link tl-wr802n for my R5 controller. It works just like you said.

-Tim
toughpi

Post by toughpi »

No worries, simple and cheap solution. I havent had any issues with it, communicates fine. I have read from one of Marco's posts you need to be careful powering to much from the AWC708 due to current draw. So as long as your not powering to much you should be fine.

Return to “DSP X7”