60 watt EFR Tube with 60 watt LO LPSU, won't go above 12ma

mharter

60 watt EFR Tube with 60 watt LO LPSU, won't go above 12ma

Post by mharter »

I just installed a new 60 watt EFR laser tube and I have the 60 watt LPSU from LO. The tube is set for 100% power and it will only run the cut jobs at 12ma, which is far from the 22ma max rating for the tube. When I press the laser pulse button on the DSP, it will reach 22ma. But not when I run the job.

LO-X7 controller.

Anyone have any clues as to why this is happening? I would like to use more of the tubes power.
Last edited by mharter on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tech_Marco

Re: 60 watt EFI Tube with 60 watt LO LPSU, won't go above 12ma

Post by Tech_Marco »

Check if "PPI" is ticked
If so, unchecked it

Marco
mharter

Re: 60 watt EFR Tube with 60 watt LO LPSU, won't go above 12ma

Post by mharter »

Thanks for the reply.

PPI is definitely checked. I use that for when I cut. Am I not able to use PPI when I cut now?
mharter

Post by mharter »

That worked, thanks. But why can't I use PPI and get full power? It worked fine with PPI when I had a Chinese 700mm tube in it, using the same LO 60 watt LPSU. Would go up to 15ma no problem. With the 60 watt it would only reach 12ma. Very weird.
mharter

Post by mharter »

Why can I not use PPI and get the full power spectrum of my tube? Do I need to go elsewhere for a new power supply and support?

Turning of PPI is not an acceptable answer if that is the only solution. I need to know the solution that allows me to use the PPI setting.
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

mharter wrote:Why can I not use PPI and get the full power spectrum of my tube? Do I need to go elsewhere for a new power supply and support?

Turning of PPI is not an acceptable answer if that is the only solution. I need to know the solution that allows me to use the PPI setting.
Marco will probably correct me if I'm wrong but my reasoning is that when you are using PPI the laser is not lit 100% of the time, it's being pulsed, and even if the pulses are very fast, between every pulse and the next there is a small amount of time the laser is off, therefore you cannot get full output while using PPI, you could increase the max current on your power supply to get a higher average when pulsing (most power supplies have a multi-turn potentiometer you can use for that purpose, it's usually a tiny screw on one side of the power supply).

Beware that if you do that, when PPI is disabled you will get a higher current too, so make sure that it doesn't rise above the max current recommended by EFR for your tube.

PS: I have not tried doing it myself so if you blow up your tube experimenting don't blame me :lol:
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Said very well!

PPI will never get you full power because there is "off" duty cycle. The output from PPI is taking integration of the time occupied or simply speaking, taking an average value

I think using higher power LPSU may do the trick but it could send the tube to the rest earlier I'd not operate properly :twisted:

Marco
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

Tech_Marco wrote:Said very well!

PPI will never get you full power because there is "off" duty cycle. The output from PPI is taking integration of the time occupied or simply speaking, taking an average value

I think using higher power LPSU may do the trick but it could send the tube to the rest earlier I'd not operate properly :twisted:

Marco
Sorry to change the subject of the thread but, did you have a chance to take a look at my other thread about the E5 outputs?, I can't get them to work, hopefully you can help me.

Fernando

Return to “DSP X7”