seeking help to solve X7 controller pause issue

Mike Teachman

seeking help to solve X7 controller pause issue

Post by Mike Teachman »

One of the laser users at our Makerspace facility is observing some strange cutting behavior with our X7 controller.

I'm posting his observations to see if anyone can help out. Here is what he observes:
But the new(ish) problem is that the laser is really doing some odd things with short lines. Instead of just firing like normal, it draws a dot, pauses to think, tries to draw the line but just makes a 3rd dot in the middle, then draws a dot at the end, pauses, then fires at a power level well over what it was set for, then moves on to the next line. So instead of a short 2mm line you'll get a dot, a very weak line or a dot, then a a very very strong dot. Its as if the controller is pausing for a moment between lines, and decides to just keep the laser firing while it thinks.

Speed was at 99. Problem is any lower and the laser just burns right through the paper. I'm not sure it's a speed issue though because I was also doing some through-cuts at speed 50 and on some intricate shapes it was doing the same thing, pausing at corners for a half second or so and burning a big dot.

It also doesn't do it with every line, sometimes you'll have like 50 identical lines with identical spacing in a row, it will then over-burn every 5th or 3rd or 10th line, but it will be consistent in that respect and create a pattern.

I made a little video. You can see it stops to "think" every 2nd or 3rd line. It should be rapid-firing these lines out without pause. They are 2mm lines. I have a similar pattern of 4mm lines that it does very quickly without these pauses. It seems to only happen with lines under 3mm or so.

https://youtu.be/UkAFTgaFTkk

You can hear the power supply or laser click a few times while it thinks too, each click sends a blast through the laser resulting in the nasty holes.
Any ideas on this issue are gratefully appreciated. thanks !

Mike
Tech_Marco

Re: seeking help to solve X7 controller pause issue

Post by Tech_Marco »

If the file bis imported, the there is highly chance a few of duplicate line hidden underneath it. Use the build in tools to remove duplicate lines

Second, please post your machine information and the manufacturer & User parameters for review

Marco
Mike Teachman

Post by Mike Teachman »

We tried the various tools, but unfortunately it did not make any difference in the performance of the laser machine.

Here the requested information on our laser. The machine information is:
  • stepper drivers are HY-DIV268N-5A.
    Controller is the LO X7, with firmware version 1.15.11.16.
    LaserCad version 7.78.2
The machine setup is shown in 3 attached photos:

the fourth photo shows square cuts with "jagged"/"bumpy" lines. This situation happens for short squares like 2-5mm/side, but disappears when the boxes are longer, for example, 6mm/side or more.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
jagged lines
jagged lines
WP_20161113_004 (Medium).jpg
WP_20161113_003 (Medium).jpg
WP_20161113_001 (Medium).jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Want to see your "User parameters" as well
How fast did you run for cutting?
Post a picture of your gantry system

Marco
Mike Teachman

Post by Mike Teachman »

Hi Marco,

The cut speed was 50, but the issues happen at any cut speed.

You asked for User Parameters - I took a screen shot of the User Parameters and attached in a photo in the previous post. Hopefully these are the User Parameters you are looking for, and you just missed the photo.

A photo of the gantry is attached.
Attachments
P1100950 (Medium).JPG
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Try this:

Manufacturer Setting:
- Start speed: 10m
- Max_Acc (X): 5000, Max_Acc(Y): 3000
-Max_Speed (x): 600, Max_Speed(Y) 400

User parameters:
Space_Speed: 100
Start_Speed: 10
Speed_Factor: 1
Space_Jerk: 30000
Cut_Jerk: 20000

Min_Acc: 100
Cut_Acc: 2000
Space_Acc: 2000
Engrave_Acc: 3000

Home_Speed: 80
Z Home Speed: 5
Key_move: 200
RunBox_Speed: 200
ClipBox_Speed: 100

Give it a try!

By the way, you may need to lubricate the guide, motor, and bearing. Also, belt tension need to be adjusted as well
Plus, you may want to download the LaserCad v7.86.1 and upgrade firmware. Newer LaserCad will be leased soon but it has nothing to do with your issue.

Marco
Mike Teachman

Post by Mike Teachman »

thanks for looking at this Marco. I'll drop into our makerspace on the weekend and try out some of these settings.
Mike Teachman

Post by Mike Teachman »

I was able to try some of the settings you recommended. Unfortunately I did not see any difference in the cutting performance. The controller continued to pause and we still see a ragged cut line for short lines.

notes:
- the laser controller would not accept some of the setting changes. For example, the recommended Max_Acc value of 3000 was not accepted by our LO-X7 - the max value I could enter was 2200. I tried making the change both in the software (making sure to Read from the controller as a first step), and with the controller keypad.

- I will upgrade the controller firmware and laserCAD software in the near future to see if that improves the cutting performance.

a followup question: How risky is a controller firmware upgrade? If I follow the upgrade directions is this a safe upgrade? I'm a bit nervous on "bricking" our controller.

thanks,

Mike
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Mike

You couldn't get acceleration over 2200 because you put the limit on the mac parameters under manufacturer parameters setup

It is very safe to do firmware upgrade as long as no power interruption happened in the middle of process

Happy thanksgiving

Marco
Mike Teachman

Post by Mike Teachman »

ah ... I think I get it. The issue is the order I used to apply the new settings. I need to adjust the manufacturers setting first, and then User setting.

I (and our other makerspace members) really appreciate your help on this!

I'll try again and report back...

thanks,

Mike
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Make sure you press "Reset" after new parameters saved.

Marco

Return to “DSP X7”