LaserCAD unable to communicate with X7 DSP

pw98

LaserCAD unable to communicate with X7 DSP

Post by pw98 »

I purchased an X7 DSP and my computer (Windows 10) is able to see the DSP when it's plugged in and powered on. Furthermore the version of LaserCad prior to the latest as of 10/6/16 is able to auto detect it in dialog where you select the port. I'm unable to move the gantry using the buttons nor am I able to read the manufacturer settings. Furthermore, I've tried a various permutation of "run as admin", "windows 7, 8 compatibility" mode, all of which is to no avail.

Thinking that perhaps it's a firmware issue, I attempted to update the DSP's firmware to X7-160822L1.UG5 by formatting a usb drive to fat32, and the DSP is able to locate it. However, when I select upgrade, it fails immediately. A post on the forum suggests that if you're already on the latest firmware then it will not upgrade successfully. In the system menu, it shows 1.16.9.1.

I've also tried the included USB whip dongle that plugs into the side of the DSP, as well as the USB port that's built into the DSP. Both behaves the same way in that my system will see the port, but LaserCAD is "unable to communicate".

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks!
Techgraphix

Re: LaserCAD unable to communicate with X7 DSP

Post by Techgraphix »

pw98 wrote: Furthermore the version of LaserCad prior to the latest as of 10/6/16 is able to auto detect it in dialog where you select the port. I'm unable to move the gantry using the buttons nor am I able to read the manufacturer settings.
Are you not able to move the gantry with the buttons on the computer or not even local on the DSP?
Does the controller does its reset-routine correct?:
The display should go of for a second and the gantry should move to its homeposition till it triggers the home-sensors?

Is the IP-address in the range of the computer? (both something like 192.168.8.xx)
Kees
bsm2003

Post by bsm2003 »

Did you install the usb drivers for it when you installed LaserCad? If not install the drivers in the set up program and restart and see if that helps with the communication.
pw98

Post by pw98 »

Techgraphix wrote:
pw98 wrote: Furthermore the version of LaserCad prior to the latest as of 10/6/16 is able to auto detect it in dialog where you select the port. I'm unable to move the gantry using the buttons nor am I able to read the manufacturer settings.
Are you not able to move the gantry with the buttons on the computer or not even local on the DSP?
Does the controller does its reset-routine correct?:
The display should go of for a second and the gantry should move to its homeposition till it triggers the home-sensors?

Is the IP-address in the range of the computer? (both something like 192.168.8.xx)
Kees

The buttons on the DSP works as it should--the gantry moves appropriately and the laser test fires. The IP address is not in the range of the computer. Is the IP address required even if it's a USB connection?
Last edited by pw98 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pw98

Post by pw98 »

bsm2003 wrote:Did you install the usb drivers for it when you installed LaserCad? If not install the drivers in the set up program and restart and see if that helps with the communication.
The drivers are installed and the device shows up in the Device Manager. Computer's been rebooted, DSP's been soft reset, power cycled, etc.
bsm2003

Post by bsm2003 »

pw98 wrote:
bsm2003 wrote:Did you install the usb drivers for it when you installed LaserCad? If not install the drivers in the set up program and restart and see if that helps with the communication.
The drivers are installed and the device shows up in the Device Manager. Computer's been rebooted, DSP's been soft reset, power cycled, etc.
I am curious if you might have the cables going from the display to the controller backwards on either end. That may be a potential problem. 1 goes to 1 and 2 goes to 2. Just a suggestion on something to double check. Also make sure the cables are seated all the way down.
pw98

Post by pw98 »

bsm2003 wrote:
pw98 wrote:
I am curious if you might have the cables going from the display to the controller backwards on either end. That may be a potential problem. 1 goes to 1 and 2 goes to 2. Just a suggestion on something to double check. Also make sure the cables are seated all the way down.

The cables are going to the correct numbers and I made sure that each of the connectors are pushed in and clipped. Techgraphix mentioned setting the IP. Is that something I need to do even with a USB cable? I know for certain that the default IP of the DSP is not in the same subnet as my host.
bsm2003

Post by bsm2003 »

The IP address has nothing to do with the USB connection. That strictly a LAN thing. It could be a bad USB cable. I don't use the USB with my X7 controller. Strictly the LAN connection. My LAN IP address is set to 10.0.0.78 and then set in laser cad as the same with it being the primar communication. I'm on my phone sitting in a dr office right now. I can't remember if there is a way to set the subnet mask in the networking on the controller. I didn't have to mess with it. Just changed the IP to what my network is on. It should be the standard 255.255.255.0 though.

pw98 wrote:
bsm2003 wrote:
pw98 wrote:

The cables are going to the correct numbers and I made sure that each of the connectors are pushed in and clipped. Techgraphix mentioned setting the IP. Is that something I need to do even with a USB cable? I know for certain that the default IP of the DSP is not in the same subnet as my host.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

I suspected that you used the Lan-connection as this works very well and fast, without problems that might occur with USB ( i had many problems with USB on some other CNC-machines, that's why i swapped all to Ethernet.)
But indeed: Usb has nothing to do with any IP-address.
For Ethernet connection:
Set your IP-address on the laser in the range of your network, that is: the first 3 numbers should be te same when you use subnetmask 255.255.255.0
I have a straight connector between my computer and DSP, maybe you have one laying around somewhere? if so, try it..

Kees
pw98

Post by pw98 »

I'll try networking them together and see how it goes. Maybe Marco can chime in on what's going on with the non-functional USB port
pw98

Post by pw98 »

Trying it over ethernet did not help. My host was immediately able to ping the DSP at 192.168.8.8 but alas, communication with LaserCAD was not successful.

Anyone know if this is the latest version as of 10/7/16?
Also... my DSP displays itself as the "LITE" version... is that supposed to be right?
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
Same message, USB or Ethernet
IMG_0187.JPG
host has correct ip and subnet and DSP pings
IMG_0188.JPG
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is a software issue. I will send you a link for the new software.

Marco
pw98

Post by pw98 »

Thanks Marco! Raycam fixed the issue and works good now
KnightMaire

Post by KnightMaire »

I am having the same issues, may I have the RayCAM link as well please?

Cannot connect via USB or Ethernet.

Windows 10
Corel Draw X7 64bit
Device is pingable.
Device detects via usb

Can control the gantry using the DSP Display.

Communication Unsuccessful when trying to communicate from the computer from either USB or Ethernet.

Is this a Windows 10 thing?

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

@KnightMaire

Not everyone can use the Raycam. When did you buy the controller card? If you're currently using LaserCad, then you can't use the RayCam
Make sure you have two cables attached to the LCD control unit to the interface box (connect motor drivers, limit switches, power...etc)

Marco

Return to “DSP X7”