Which DSP to buy

brian257

Which DSP to buy

Post by brian257 »

I am going to buy a new DSP for my LC6090 laser. I have the AWC608 on my K40 machine with LaserCad and I have two major problems with it. Wondering if I use the R5 controller on the new laser if I will have the same problem.

I do all of my drawings in AutoCad. The first issue I have with Lasercad is that when I do my text in TrueType fonts I need to explode the text before I import into LaserCad. If I don't explode the text first it does not import into LaserCad. When you explode it turns the text into just an outline of each letter which engraves fine, but it is a pain if you need to go back and edit the drawing later.

The second issue is that on my drawings I use Plines with a width for making thick lines and I use solid hatches to fill in areas. When importing into LaserCad the Plines all change to loose the width information and the hatches do not import.

One way that I get by with these limitations is I sometimes export my drawings out of AutoCad as .JPG and import that into Lasercad, but when you do that you loose resolution and you also have to resize once imported into Lasercad which does not always give you the exact size you needed. I often make engravings on plastic that are backed up on aluminum cut om my router so they need to be exactly the same size for holes to align.

So does the R5 have the same issues with AutoCad drawings? Are there other issues? Can I download a demo to try it before I buy the DSP?
Tech_Marco

Re: Which DSP to buy

Post by Tech_Marco »

Go for the X7. I found that I have difficulty to get support from RU - R5!! That company seems not willing to do tech support at all. So, I'll not carry their DSP card after selling all remaining R5
Remember that we keep updating the X7 and the LaserCad software. We just need time to get things sorted out and it really take time.

In your case, please send me a file to try so I can understand better about the issue you have. Also, you may try to use CorelDraw to import the file and make some fine tuning. DXF isn't good for engraving but ideal for cutting, correct me if I'm wrong. In fact, the best format for vector cutting is the Illustrator based the feedback from most manufactures in China that I have deal with.

FYI, I'll post a new patch for the LaserCad that helps for solving 'wave' or 'wobble' on small circle cutting. It is always an issue for large format machine. I tried it on 2500x1400 the giant flat bed machine and it worked great. I could reach 80mm/s for a 1" circle (with notch) cutting without too much wobbles. Before, it always showing the waving when doing cutting circle artwork with vertical line (notch).

Regards,
Marco
brian257

Re: Which DSP to buy

Post by brian257 »

OK, just emailed you a sample.

Return to “DSP X7”