Issue with X7 DSP laser controller

lwlaser

Issue with X7 DSP laser controller

Post by lwlaser »

I've finally hooked up my X7 DSP to my Blacktooth laser cutter and I'm having trouble getting the motors to function correctly. I currently don't have the laser connected to the DSP, just the motors. I also don't have my limit switches setup yet.

When I first turn on the system, the motors go crazy and make weird grinding noises while moving around in jerky motions. I understand that I need to connect the limit switches in order for the DSP to move from "System Resetting" to the main menu but would they cause an issue like this? Also, when I try to jog the motors, I have to press the button repeatedly to get them to move, and both axes only move in one direction. They also still make a grinding noise (definitely not smooth movement) I have fairly small gauge wires (22 awg if I had to guess?) on the stepper motor drivers to DSP connections, could this possibly be a cause?

Do I need to hook the DSP up to a computer to configure it as well or is that not needed?
tansh

Re: Issue with X7 DSP laser controller

Post by tansh »

lwlaser wrote:I've finally hooked up my X7 DSP to my Blacktooth laser cutter and I'm having trouble getting the motors to function correctly. I currently don't have the laser connected to the DSP, just the motors. I also don't have my limit switches setup yet.

When I first turn on the system, the motors go crazy and make weird grinding noises while moving around in jerky motions. I understand that I need to connect the limit switches in order for the DSP to move from "System Resetting" to the main menu but would they cause an issue like this? Also, when I try to jog the motors, I have to press the button repeatedly to get them to move, and both axes only move in one direction. They also still make a grinding noise (definitely not smooth movement) I have fairly small gauge wires (22 awg if I had to guess?) on the stepper motor drivers to DSP connections, could this possibly be a cause?

Do I need to hook the DSP up to a computer to configure it as well or is that not needed?
Few possible causes could lead to your noisy problem.
1. loose wires connection,
2. Incorrect wires connection,
3. improper micro-step setting at the drivers,
4. belt tension,
Limit switches have nothing to do with your grinding noise.
Hope it helps. I am newbie in CO2 laser.
lwlaser

Re: Issue with X7 DSP laser controller

Post by lwlaser »

Hi tansh,

Appreciate your response. I went over your checklist and double checked the wiring. I had assumed that Blacktooth's site had the correct wiring schematic for the steppers, but I was wrong. They are listed as:
  • A+:Black
    A-:Green
    B+:Red
    B-:Blue
when in reality, the stepper motors I received (Part number 57BYGH213) were wired like so:
  • A+:Red
    A-:Green
    B+:Yellow
    B-:Blue
Re-wired the drivers with the correct connections and no more grinding/jerky motion!

Thanks again.

Return to “DSP X7”