X7 DSP Controller Compatible with G540?

mikkojay

X7 DSP Controller Compatible with G540?

Post by mikkojay »

Hello, I just received a X7 DSP Controller and I am having a difficult time getting any axis movement.
This is running a Gecko G540. If I disconnect and run from a PC and Mach3, I can jog & move both fine.
I have tried Trailing Edge, Rising Edge, positive & negative combinations and no movement.
In Mach, I have the TTL settings set to Low Active.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank You
Q*bert

Re: X7 DSP Controller Compatible with G540?

Post by Q*bert »

The DSP controller is meant to replace Mach3 and the G540 and operate on its own.

I use Mach3 and G540 drivers on my CNC machines, but the LO-X7 DSP controller for my laser. I'm not sure how you would have both connected at the same time.

Do you intend to use Mach3 sometimes and import graphics into the DSP at other times?
mikkojay

Post by mikkojay »

The G540 is a motor driver using the PC as the pulse source.
No, not using anything at the same time.
I have used this machine for 2 years with the G540 as the stepper motor driver and Mach3 as the pulse source.
I disconnected the DB25 from the PC and now send the following signals into the G540, from the X7:
X pulse -> G540.pin2
X dir - > G540.pin3
Y pulse -> G540.pin4
Y dir = > G540.pin5

I have the X7 found on this page:
http://www.lightobject.com/X7-DSP-Contr ... -P940.aspx

Thanks, Mike
mikkojay

Post by mikkojay »

I did a bit of searching on this forum prior to posting my question, and I found a post by user TimGS that linked to this page: http://www.timsmachines.com/home/co2-la ... lectronics.

Here is a quote from his page:
"10/31/2015

I have updated to the new Anywells AWC708C Plus Laser Engraver & Cutting Controller. It has a color display that also shows the path of the laser cutter on the display. I guess they do that just in case you cannot see the laser head moving. As a result of the controller upgrade I had to purchase 2 each Gecko model G210X Motor Drives. The output current from the AWC708C Plus was just not strong enough to drive the Gecko Step and DIR signals."

Could this be what I am seeing?
I have no problem switching to more compatible motor drivers, I just wanted to use the G540 if at all possible to save me time and money.

Thanks, Mike
Q*bert

Post by Q*bert »

Sorry, now I get it. I guess the reference to Mach3 threw my mind off tilt!

I use G540 drivers for my CNCs but use cheap (err... inexpensive) Chinese drivers for my laser. I would have thought that the G540 would work fine.

Apparently the person you referenced had trouble with the G213V but the G210X worked. Looking at the data sheets for those and the G540, the G213V and the G540 both have shorter step pulse '0' times than the G210X (2us vs 4.5ms). That's the main difference I can see from the data sheets. Is that the problem with using the G213V/G540? I don't know. Perhaps it is the step/dir current as the reference claims, and perhaps the G213V and G540 share that also. The data sheets don't specify the logic currents (which I wouldn't think would be an issue anyway.)

The G540 is also limited to a motor current of 3.5A while the 213V and G210X go up to 7A, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Sorry, that's my best shot!
mikkojay

Post by mikkojay »

Hey no worries, thanks for taking the time to reply- I appreciate it.
Right now I am planning on sending it back for a refund. This whole experience has not been good.
The controller also started to take forever to boot up with a "System Resetting..." message.
I mean it took like 5 minutes with that message, then it would beep and look normal.
The controller also looked used to me when I got it, and was missing the terminal blocks on the connector where the limit switches hook up.
I think I have had enough of this one.

Thanks, Mike
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry for the missing connector. Seems my tech forgot to put it back after testing.
We don't sell 'used' item unless otherwise specified. Please remember that we tested each controller before shipped.

Reply your question from email: It is not a simple question regarding the connection to the Gecko motor driver. If it is for standard motor driver like Leetro or for those drivers we carry, yes the connection is simple. But for Gecko it is a different story because they have way to driver it other than an ordinary motor driver. Fine tuning or different configuration may be required.

Long waiting initiation issue - it is because you didn't connect the limit switch so the system never got itself initialed. You need to install a momentary button to the X- , Y- vs Gnd to simulated the 'HOME'

Anyway, we will issue you a RMA # and you return it for refund

Marco
mikkojay

Post by mikkojay »

Hi Marco, Thank you for the information.
I saw on your website that the ECNC-2M415 drivers are a very good price.
If I order two of them, would it be possible to have the limit switch terminal connectors shipped to me at the same time?
I was really hoping to get this controller to work, and I am willing to switch motor controllers if needed.
If connecting the limit switches is all that is needed to remedy the long boot up time, I would be happy to try again.

Thanks, Mike
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello Mike:

The controller cards with with 2~3 spare 4pins terminals unused. You can use apply it to the limit switches because it only need three wires: Gnd, X-, Y-
The M415 can support up to 1.5A (peak) current. If your motor doesn't required more than 1.5A, sure you can use it for your machine.

Marco
mikkojay

Post by mikkojay »

Thanks Marco, I used the unused "U" connector and snipped off one plastic key tab to make it mate correctly. It worked great and the controller now boots up instantly. My motors are 1a and .8a, so the 1.5a driver should be sufficient. I ordered 2 of them from your store. I will let you know how it works.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

-Mike
mikkojay

New Drivers Work Good

Post by mikkojay »

All, Just a quick update- I installed the new M415 stepper drivers today, and the X & Y movements are smooth and happy!
I am now making adjustments and learning the software. I wish I would have just used these drivers from the beginning, it would have saved me some time.

Thanks, Mike

Return to “DSP X7”