LO-X7 DSP OUT2 Faulty

OzAdr1an

LO-X7 DSP OUT2 Faulty

Post by OzAdr1an »

G'day. I recently purchased an LX-07 DSP and have also received delivery of the I/O Outputs for use with it.

In connecting it up to trigger my SSR for the Air Solenoid I have discovered an issue with OUT2 .
OUT1 works as described - it goes High to 24V when running the gantry.
OUT6 works as described - it goes High to 24V when running the gantry AND "Air Switch" is ticked in LaserCAD.
But no matter what settings I have configured, OUT2, does not work when the laser fires. I have confirmed this also with a logic analyser and oscilloscope.

I can finish testing the new laser tube I purchased using OUT6 (to make sure it is functioning as a replacement for my 32W one), but ideally I would like to have OUT2 function so the air-compressor is not running whenever the gantry is moving, only when the laser fires. (In an ideal world, we could use Out 3 or something to allow the use of the checkbox AND only go high when the laser fires, but can't have everything :) )

I have only had the LO-X7 two weeks, but was waiting for the I/O boards before I hooked up the SSR to ensure there was no issues with over-current etc - so I am 100% adamant I have handled the board correctly since I received it.
To also make sure that its not just a relay timing issue with the I/O driver on OUT2, I have used a MOSFET rigged up and gotten the same results...

I have also used a DSO to analyze the outputs. OUT1 and OUT6 both behave as described, and OUT2 just does not.

Attached is a Video showing several tests of OUT1, OUT6 and OUT2 ... all using the same file that has "If air assist" ticked in LaserCAD to ensure OUT6 works.

So - I'm either thoroughly going insane, or I do indeed have a faulty OUT2... :)

Video here: https://youtu.be/QcUfHuhyiQ8
Tech_Marco

Re: LO-X7 DSP OUT2 Faulty

Post by Tech_Marco »

I'll take a look of that. But, it is not possible to use OUT2 to control SSR for air pump while laser is firing. The firing interval is way too FAST that the air pump can kick in. You may damage the air pump quick to turn it On/Off in such high On/Off rate. Don't do it! I think that to turn on air pump while the gantry is in motion is more logical and make more sense.

BTW, I believe that the OUTPUT is in 'reverse' logic. When system is idle, the OUTPUT is in 'High' in respect to the Ground. If you have I/O that need positive logic, you may need to use OUT2 vs. 24V.

Marco
OzAdr1an

Post by OzAdr1an »

Thanks Marco. Will be keen to hear back.

The output at Idle on all outputs is GND - or Low - and it only goes High when triggered - thats confirmed against OUT1 and OUT6 at least. GND at Idle, High (24v) when triggered. Happy to take more DSO samples for you.

As for airpump and triggering - you are correct if it drove the airpump directly. I should have been more specific - the SSR drives a pneumatic valve open or closed which is almost instantaneous (give or take a few ms) - the airpump (actually compressor) is always on.. I ran it this way for years on the AWC608 with no issue using the OUT2 interface on there (so it only opened the valve when the laser fired). Obviously, with the inverted logic on the AWC608, it was wired differently (the SSR was wired to the 24v output on the AWC608, and then OUT2 pulled low and grounded out the otherside... but I digress).

With the LO-X7, I now use the OUT signals (which go High) to drive the signal lines on the I/O Driver (or N-MOSFET) which then switches the SSR appropriately.. this works as it behaves as expected on OUT1 or OUT6.

I can make do with OUT6 function for the moment, but the issue is this will waste a lot more air from the tank than the older method I used on the AWC608 which means the compressor runs with much longer duty cycles than it used to. I'd prefer to get back to having my pneumatic valve only open when the laser fires so that the air tank has more of a chance to fill between cuts/engraves.

Cheers.

Adrian
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Talked to the programmer and I was told that a setting need to change by using the LCD control menu.
Press 'Menu' on the control menu, then select option 7
Select #2 'Common parameters'
Put down '0.1s' on both "Blow Open delay" and "Blow Close delay"

That should take care the problem

Marco

Return to “DSP X7”