Out of Bounds / Scaling Issue AWC608

pourcirm

Out of Bounds / Scaling Issue AWC608

Post by pourcirm »

I'm having an odd scale related issue I can't solve.

I have my LaserCAD software configured for my 500 X 700 laser bed and on my laptop I draw a few shapes that are small and well within the cutting area. I then upload the file to my DSP, when I try to run the file it tells me it's too large and something like out of bounds. When I say yes continue anyway it cuts a portion of the shapes at a much larger scale. When it gets to the physical edges of my laser bed it cuts a straight line and basically crops the shape. Circles are cut as half circles and come out as D's along the top edge of my laser bed when on the cut file I created the circle is in the middle of the board nowhere near the edge.

When I move the laser manually from the control panel it can reach all the way to 500 X 700 with no issues and knows that's how big the laser bed is. For some reason it appears as though somewhere between LaserCad and DSP the cut file is being scaled or modified so that it's outside of the defined bounds.

Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this issue?
DonL

Re: Out of Bounds / Scaling Issue AWC608

Post by DonL »

Sounds like the UM settings are way off, Perform a teest, draw a box 50x50mm thew measure the box, the um settings in the system options have a ... buton, use it and enter the size you asked for (50) and the size you measured and it will tell you the proper um adjustment
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

See that's the odd thing though, I configured the UM settings already. When I'm in LaserCAD and I use the Machine Control toolbar I can give the machine exact X and Y coordinates and it moves the expected distances. So when it's at 0,0 and I tell the laser to move to 25,25 it moves almost exactly 25 mm on the X and the Y axes.

I only have the weird scaling issues and the "Out of Bounds" error when I try to run an actual file downloaded from LaserCAD to the DSP on the laser.

Any other thoughts?
DonL

Post by DonL »

If you draw a box that is 50x50mm and you get anything different, the um calibrration must be out or you have the wiring mixed up or there is a setting that is way off somewhere Double check your wiring then run the calibration on a 100x100 box, if the box is not 100x100 check settings and calibrate UM
Also make sure that your checkbox for rotary is unchecked or it will use those um calculations...

You could have a faulty controller but I have not heard of that yet
Attachments
LaserMachineWiringDiagram3.jpg
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

If my UM was configured wrong the LaserCAD Machine Control toolbar wouldn't move the laser properly. I know the UM settings are correct, I ran test distances to dial it in. I've seen UM setting problems on the CNC and 3D printer I built previously, if the UM settings are wrong the laser would either not move enough or move too much and crash into things. When I use the toolbar to move the laser 50mm the physical laser head moves 50mm in both X and Y directions.

When I try to run a LaserCAD file it prompts me with the "Out of Bounds" message before any movement even starts and when I hit enter to continue the job the movements are adjusted for the known 500 X 700 bounds of the laser table. The head doesn't crash into anything it simply runs up to the edge of the cutting area and then moves along that edge in a straight line.

This has to be something in the software that is improperly processing the LaserCAD files I'm drawing. It's essentially taking the 500 X 700 drawing I'm creating and convincing the DSP that the file is larger and the DSP compensates to keep within the bed so nothing crashes.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Did you setup the "machine zero", "page zero", and "Position relative" to match the location of the limit switches (X,Y)??
If not, do it first. I have listed the problem on 'FAQ', did you read it and try it?

Or, post your image and the location of the image on the machine so we can take a look of that.

Marco
DonL

Post by DonL »

Can you Take some screen shots of your parameter settings and let's see if there is something out of wack :geek:
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

Alright so first here's my current settings:
Laser Settings.png
Laser Settings.png (45.97 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Laser Settings 2.png
Laser Settings 2.png (24.83 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
I think those are set up properly because everything moves as expected when I manually control the laser as noted previously. If there's something I'm missing though I'm more than willing to change some settings and test whatever suggestions you all have.

The issue I'm running into will hopefully be explained below, the first picture is a crude example of what I'm drawing in LaserCad, all home positions and bed size properties are correct and there shouldn't be an issue cutting the shapes.
Cut Design.png
When I download this file to my DSP and try to run it I get a message saying "Out of Bounds", I hit enter to run it anyway so I can see what the file looks like and below in the blue box is what it actually runs. It's as though it's scaling up the entire file and it runs everything inside the blue box much larger that it should be. When it moves to the edge of my cutting bed it chops the shape off, so in this image I end up with a circle that has a flat side.
Actual Cut.png
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I want to see the User Parameter as well

Btw, acceleration for both X and Y seems slow. Make it faster. I don't what kind of machine you have. So, I can only do guessing
No hardware info provided

X: 8,000
Y: 3000

Marco
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

I haven't really worked on the acceleration and other "speed" or "laser power" settings as I'm still finishing the overall build. At one point they were too high and I hadn't dialed in the UM settings so the laser head kept crashing into the endstops too hard so I turned the acceleration down then. I kind of forgot to turn them back up. The laser is based on the BuildLog.net 2.X Laser if you're familiar with that. A lot of people from the forum purchase DSP's from you so that's where I got the initial suggestion.

Here's my User Params, I haven't done much here as far as making changes.
Laser Settings 3.png
Laser Settings 3.png (38.91 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
20160313_122422.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You should use either Normal or fastee setting on that model.
Just select Normal and click "Instant recovery" . The current setting on your User parameters seems too slow. The machine may not got enough time to pick up speed

What speed did you use for the sample and got the error?

Marco
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

I'll change those settings this evening.

I got the error using all of the settings that I've posted here so far.
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

I tried changing the settings noted above and the DSP is still not functioning as expected. Still get the "Out of Bounds" message before the file will run, when I confirm I want to run it anyway it only runs a small portion of the actual drawing from LaserCAD and the scale appears to be wrong too.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Please send me the User parameters and manufacturer parameters. Before doing so, please click "Read"

I am quite sure it is a setting issue at somewhere

Marco
pourcirm

Post by pourcirm »

Here's every setting screen I know of at this point... I have made sure to hit read before taking the screenshots as well so these are what the machine has stored.
Work Space.png
Work Space.png (32.68 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Advance Functions.png
Advance Functions.png (33.23 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Work Params.png
Work Params.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Manuf Params.png
Manuf Params.png (49.23 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
Manuf Params 2.png
Manuf Params 2.png (56.1 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
User Params.png
User Params.png (39.08 KiB) Viewed 3857 times