LaserCAD Text fixes...

als

LaserCAD Text fixes...

Post by als »

In case anyone is interested... I've produced a small patch that fixes the following issues with LaserCAD 7.77 and 7.78:

1. Font selection fails sometimes and falls back to the generic San Serif font (there is a work around if you know enough about the font)
2. Non-English (e.g. Greek, Hebrew, etc.) characters appear as question marks
3. There is no option for Center and Right alignment of multi-line text

For details you can see the article I published on Instructables.com here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-LaserCAD/

If it is helpful to you, please vote for it (vote button at the top of the article) and click the "I made it" button.

Chances are high that this "patch" will have a very limited lifetime as I'm sure the developers will be able to make permanent fixes for all of these issues in a matter of minutes when they have time, and that will be a better solution. In the meantime I hope this helps some of you. The article details why issues #1 and #2 occur for the sake of the developer (should make it even easier to fix). Personally, now that I have a work around for these things, I'd rather see the developer focus on grayscale image engraving!!! :)

[email protected]

Re: LaserCAD Text fixes...

Post by [email protected] »

Great fix... Worked great.
DonL

Post by DonL »

How would you like to post it here, I don't want to pay for yet another download site... There are thousands of them and everyone seems to use a different one... and I have to pay every time then get tons of spam... Upload it here or use a free download site please.
als

Post by als »

DonL wrote:How would you like to post it here, I don't want to pay for yet another download site... There are thousands of them and everyone seems to use a different one... and I have to pay every time then get tons of spam... Upload it here or use a free download site please.
I'm not sure I understand. The article on Instructables.com is a well known public, Maker site. You don't even have to register with Instructables.com to read the article.

The DLL is not on a "download site." There are no fees that I'm aware of for anyone to download it. I did not make this available to gain a profit from it.
DonL

Post by DonL »

als wrote:
DonL wrote:How would you like to post it here, I don't want to pay for yet another download site... There are thousands of them and everyone seems to use a different one... and I have to pay every time then get tons of spam... Upload it here or use a free download site please.
I'm not sure I understand. The article on Instructables.com is a well known public, Maker site. You don't even have to register with Instructables.com to read the article.

The DLL is not on a "download site." There are no fees that I'm aware of for anyone to download it. I did not make this available to gain a profit from it.
My misunderstanding, I saw the article, very nice and there is a big download link right above it so I thought you provided the fixed lasercad there as many of the users won't want to apply the hack, but after reading the article I see you provide the dll on your server. It was late hammer

to download the article in pdf form costs money and you have to join... These sites are full of these types of deception so I should know better to look harder...

My appologies.

I will try this tonight if I have time and upload the LaserCADFix.exe here and yes, hopefully the new version for LightObject due out soon will have this fix along with the other fixes Marco listed.

Cheers!
DonL

Post by DonL »

Here is the patched LaserCAD.exe, Rename your current laserCAD.exe to LaserCAD.old.exe and unzip this executable to the same folder and you should be OK.
Laser 7.78.2 Cad Font Fixed.zip
(570.23 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Thanks to the excellent work of als...
als

Post by als »

DonL wrote:
als wrote:

My misunderstanding, I saw the article, very nice and there is a big download link right above it so I thought you provided the fixed lasercad there as many of the users won't want to apply the hack, but after reading the article I see you provide the dll on your server. It was late hammer

to download the article in pdf form costs money and you have to join... These sites are full of these types of deception so I should know better to look harder...

My appologies.

I will try this tonight if I have time and upload the LaserCADFix.exe here and yes, hopefully the new version for LightObject due out soon will have this fix along with the other fixes Marco listed.

Cheers!
Yes, Instructables.com will charge you to download the PDF, but I've never needed one. The only PDFs I've ever downloaded from them have been my own projects, just for record keeping -- and when you publish an article and have it featured they give you a free "Pro" account for a few months, so I've never paid. The PDF is actually more limited than the HTML site because with the HTML you can open the images and see the labels applied to them, which makes it easier to follow someone's design. Still, for this, you will not need a copy of the article, just the DLL and the instructions, and the instruction are in the video which is on YouTube. FWIW, my only request is that if it helpful you vote for the article -- or not even this one, but one my other 2 (soon to be 3) recent articles on there, in the contests they are entered into. Winning those contests makes it worth the time put into documenting the project. FWIW, they may be of interest to anyone here. One shows how to build a Water Chiller for a CO2 laser, and the other shows how to build a flow rate monitor and alarm for water going to the laser tube.

I have not seen the list of fixes that are due out soon, but I look forward to it along with any new features.

Best Wishes!

Return to “DSP X7”