http://www.laserlab-europe.net/
Tech_Marco

Re: Looking for a new name for LaserCad

Post by Tech_Marco »

:eek: :eek:
DonL

Post by DonL »

One important question.... Will the new version be able to open LaserCAD Files or do you plan to make the saved files proprietary?Reason is when I upgraded from Moshi to LaserCAD, I had about a dozen saved projects I had to recreate, not a big deal, But now I have a hundred or so and if they are not compatible, I doubt that I would upgrade simply because of the sheer work involved.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is the same as LaserCad but with more features add on. Plus, a security check may be implemented so that a DSP Not purchase from us will not work

Marco
DonL

Post by DonL »

Tech_Marco wrote:It is the same as LaserCad but with more features add on. Plus, a security check may be implemented so that a DSP Not purchase from us will not work

Marco
understandable however you had mentioned selling the software and it is likely the buyers may not have purchased from LO but what a great way to attract new customers. It will be hard to keep pirated copies off the net... You would also have to make sure that someone does not just download the DSP update from here or elsewhere that came from here and apply it to the same DSP model purchased elsewhere....

I suggest that you encrypt and obfuscate the program and using a machine ID generated from the installed PC's HDD, OS, MB and BIOS you issue licenses, the cost being FREE for customers that purchased so many dollars from LO or Free if you purchased a LO DSP and $35 or $40 to anyone else. I can help you with an easy to implement but very robust protection solution if you like but only via email....

Or you could just pop a code in the DSP firmware ID that must be present for the software to work as you stated above and not worry about selling or pirate issues... a slippery slope :?
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

How about something more unusual.

Looking at the science of it you could call it something good like

Photon cutter
Photonator
Vaporiser lab :D ( I like this )

Monochromatic lab

Lasershop

Collimator ( from collimated )

Or how about FLASH! cutter ( Flash Gordon uses lots of lasers)

Or maybe Auric after (Auric Goldfinger who tried to cut bond in half with a laser in Goldfinger)

I like these two as they are more off the wall and less likely to be copyrighted

I don't think it matters if something has been copyrighted if the copyright isn't in the same industry.

So you can't ever call your software photoshop as there is other software. If you own a portrait studio called photoshop and use a different logo it's very unlikely you will be sued.
DonL

Post by DonL »

SWMS wrote:How about something more unusual.

Looking at the science of it you could call it something good like

Photon cutter
Photonator
Vaporiser lab :D ( I like this )

Monochromatic lab

Lasershop

Collimator ( from collimated )

Or how about FLASH! cutter ( Flash Gordon uses lots of lasers)

Or maybe Auric after (Auric Goldfinger who tried to cut bond in half with a laser in Goldfinger)

I like these two as they are more off the wall and less likely to be copyrighted

I don't think it matters if something has been copyrighted if the copyright isn't in the same industry.

So you can't ever call your software photoshop as there is other software. If you own a portrait studio called photoshop and use a different logo it's very unlikely you will be sued.
Not always the case, The World Wildlife Federation made World Wrestling Federation change their name and trademarks after a law suit. WWF

Two completely different industries.

Best play it real safe.

How about "LaserBeamControl"

or

LaserSpots.

or
299792458 Cutter (Speed of light)

or Photon BladeWorks

or Photon CNC

or Massless CNC Control

or for Trekies

Warp 1 Control

W1 control for short
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Tech_Marco wrote:a security check may be implemented so that a DSP Not purchase from us will not work
In that case, would simply "LightObjectCam(+)" or short LO-Cam(+)" be a better name?
Kees
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

If you add this kind of security check in does that mean my old AWC will need a firmware update? Also I use wifi to connect to mine. I have a router connected to the Ethernet. Will that work or will it be a one time verification? You are better off going down a one use serial number route. It's unlikely someone will create an algorithm to make serial numbers. The software isn't popular enough for any hackers to want to use it. I
DonL

Post by DonL »

It is not likely to be very expensive either so hackers won't bother with it. So you would think anyway :roll:
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Any more suggestions?

I am thinking "Raycast", any comments?
LO Laser Motion Control - Raycast

Marco
TheSniper

Post by TheSniper »

Raycast?
My first instinct Says? No...
Does not sound laser like Nor does it sound cad like.
Just my opinion.
-Sam
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Ops! I did tell the programmer about that last night. He said that it took a lot of work to change once a new name was used. He gave me one more day to think of the name so, if you guys can find me a new name, that would be great.

A coupon of $50 will be offered for a name being selected for the new software

Marco

Return to “DSP X7”