Outputs not working correctly - Bad 708C card?

overkill71

Outputs not working correctly - Bad 708C card?

Post by overkill71 »

Marco,

Spoke with you earlier today about my KERN laser conversion problem. This is on my work laser, a Kern 150 watt RF laser, that we converted after I had such great success with my home DK 40 laser conversion. Everything is working great on the conversion except two items. We are trying to wire the air solenoid valve that we bought from you (24volt) to come on when laser is on and shut off when laser is not firing. It is wired exactly like mine at home and that one is working great. I checked all outputs on the AWC708C and here is what I have: (all outputs checked to ground with a meter)

output 1 to ground - constant 24V - does not switch at all
output 2 - nothing in any laser firing state
output 3 - nothing in any laser firing state
output 4 - nothing in any laser firing state
output 5 - nothing in any laser firing state
output 6 - nothing in any laser firing state

I saw this in one of your (Marco) post earlier:

Out1: '0V' when system idle. '24V' when gantry is moving
Out2: '0V' when not firing. '24V' when laser is firing
Out6: '0V' when system is idle. '0V' when gantry is moving. '24V' when gantry is moving AND 'Air assist' is Enable in Laser Cad

I believe the card isn't working on the outputs correctly, any help would be great.

The next problem we are having is when I am engraving in normal X Swing I am getting a double engrave, its like a second image is being engraved just slightly offset in the X axis, just enough to see when looking at the finished product. When I engrave in X unilateralism mode it does not double engrave as described above.

Thanks,

Russell
Tech_Marco

Re: Outputs not working correctly - Bad 708C card?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello Russel:

When I got back to my office after lunch, I setup my machine for the tests. I called you and left message may be you already off work (my time at 2:00PM). So, I posted what I found on the forum.

Give me a little time to think about your case. It could be software setting somewhere we may be able to turn it On or Off. I'll give a call to my programmer tonight and hopefully I can still get touch with him because Chinese New Year and everyone is taking earlier leave for 2 ~ 3 weeks holiday!!

Regarding the double image, I think you may have lose lens or lose mirror somewhere. Or, check the belt and/or the axis coupling. I believe you should have any issue on cutting but solely on engraving. Also, if you do slow engraving for a long object, the issue should be much less.

Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Russel:

Here is the latest patch for the X7:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2955

Upgrade it with LaserCad V7.78 see if it make any difference.

BTW, do NOT driver a solenoid without a I/O driver board. It may works for small relay but the feedback voltage from the coil may cause damage the board or causing unexpected issue.

Also, I found that the output of X7 is "Positive" logic, as oppsite to the AWC608 where a 'Negative" logic is used. So, I will have to order some Positive signal I/O board once the Chinese New Year passed.

Regards,
Marco
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Thanks Marco,

Will run the update tomorrow and let you know and will NOT be running solenoid without an I/O board. Will wait to hear when you have correct I/O boards in stock.

Thanks,

Russell
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

overkill71 wrote: I checked all outputs to ground with a meter
You might check the voltages to +24V with your meter:
If the outputs are Open Collector-types without a Pull-Up, there will be no voltage only conducting to ground if active. If you measure 24V in all cases, then there is something not quite well with the outputs..
BTW.. I think I did measure 24V to ground a while ago.. not sure anymore..

Kees

Return to “DSP X7”