»Coin« style corners on cast acrylic. How can i improve?

typomaniac

Re: »Coin« style corners on cast acrylic. How can i improve?

Post by typomaniac »

Hey Marco,

the driver cannot handle that current : ( do you have any suitable drivers?
Can the power supply from you (EPS-D3624V10A) deliver 6a for 2 Nemas with 3a each at 12v?
Where can i see the hardware version? Firmware update sounds good ...

tm
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If you look at the spec. of the 36V/24v dual power supply, it can delivery up to 10A current. The current rating on a motor is 'RMS' (if I'm not forgotten) but the current label on motor driver is a 'Peak' current unless there is a separated legend showing the 'rms' rating. That said, 1.8A rms will require 1.8*1.414 = 2.5A to operate in full strength. Usually we don't apply full current to avoid overheated. If the motor is rated 2.5A, we apply 2.25A to 2.4A. The motor will get hot but as long as not super hot (below <70'C) is totally fine. If you put your finger on the motor and can sustain for over 4s or more, that should be fine. But it won't work that way if you're sensitive to heat. I was just take a common practice as an example

On LCD control menu, the last one will show the 'Hardware version".

Marco
typomaniac

Post by typomaniac »

ahh! Thank you very much for the explanation. Then i need other drivers - the current ones will not handle that. I am a little bit suprised since so many people use those drivers - What drivers from your shop can you recommend?
my dsp version is: 1.15.7.26

thanks!

tm
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

M415 is good for K40 upgrade. But your is not a K40 and the current rating is different.
http://www.lightobject.com/Stepping-Mot ... r-C46.aspx

Any 2 phase motor with current over 2A is good for you.

Marco
typomaniac

Post by typomaniac »

Hey Marco,

is the patch already available?

thank you : )

tm
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, here:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2955

You need to get the LaserCad v7.77 to take advantage of the new patch.
Plus, when you do upgrade, make sure to delete all files saved in the DSP controller. Hit "File" and choose Delete All files

Do NOT interrupt the power or your DSP will be bricked. No one can save you from that happend!! :mrgreen:

Marco
bluecuriosity

Post by bluecuriosity »

I was having this same issue and found this thread.

I increased the number of steps per revolution on the drivers and it cleared up most of the "coin" effects on contour cutting of acrylic.

However, when cutting perfect circles made in lasercad they would have some areas where the curve flattened out. I was thinking that it was something in the alignment of mirrors or straightness of the linear rails, but the problem repeated no matter where I cut on the laser bed. I used the updated lasercad and controller firmware and the curve around a circle is better, but still not quite right.

Am I missing a setting or something? I have been testing with 15mm diameter circles.

Return to “DSP X7”