Need Help! Wiring an RF Laser Tube to AWC608 LO-X7

overkill71

Need Help! Wiring an RF Laser Tube to AWC608 LO-X7

Post by overkill71 »

Hello all and thanks in advanced.

Here is the project that I am working on and the trouble that I am having. I have a very old (approx. 15years old) 150 Watt KERN Laser system with an RF Laser Tube with an approximate table size of 48" x 24'. The old kern software is horrible to mess with so I decided to upgrade it with a LO-X7 DSP system. I believe this kit has the AWC608 controller board. I got everything I needed from Light Object. I did this same conversion on my little DK40 glass tube machine and had no issues.

My current status on the upgrade is this; I have the entire system up and running with the exception of wiring in the laser tube to fire. The table moves correctly and all internal DSP settings are done. This machine has an RF / CO2 tube on it. It is a Diamond G150 head and a 48v power supply. The power supply to the laser head is all wired up correctly. On the back of the laser head there is a 25 pin connector that went down to the old kern control boxes. This is where I have a problem. This wiring is what turns on the laser, I need to know what to wire where on the AWC608 control board. I am familiar with glass tube CO2 wiring, pretty easy peasy but not at all with RF. I called Coherent who sells the RF tube and they sent me the manual on the tube and it has the 25 pin connector pin out. Inside the 25 pin connector there are only 6 wires being used.
One is for VSWR LIMIT - Pin 11 ( a safety check)
One is for enable - Pin 3
One is for modulation (+) Pin 7
One is for modulation (-) Pin 20
One is for Reference Pin 14 (I figure this means Ground/Negative?)
One is for over temperature (another safety check)Pin 4

The Safety items are no problem to get wired up, its the enable and Modulation plus and minus that I am unsure of what to wire where on the AWC608 Laser1 plug. I have attached the manual for the laser tube for review, it is chapter 4 that has the info needed. If I take and have nothing going but the 48V power supply I can take the AWC608 end of the wiring - not plugged up just loose wires and the other end is hooked up to the back of the laser head (the 25 pin end), I can take and twist the blue and white wires together and then touch the black and brown wires together, the laser will fire but at full power, when I un-touch them and the laser quits firing. Just wanted to mention that.

So here is the 25 pin connector pin-out:

Pin 1 = Analog Forward
Pin 2 = Analog Reflected
Pin 3 = Enable - WHITE WIRE
Pin 4 = Over Temperature (+) - RED WIRE
Pin 5 = Test Modulation (+)
Pin 6 = Not used this product
Pin 7 = Modulation (+) - BLUE WIRE
Pin 8 = Digital Reflected (+)
Pin 9 = Digital Forward (+)
Pin 10 = Duty Cycle Limit(+)
Pin 11 = VSWR Limit (+) - GREEN WIRE
Pin 12 = Test Enable
Pin 13 = Not Used
Pin 14, 15, 16 = Return (Reference for Pin 1,2,3) - BLACK WIRE
Pin 17 = Over Temperature(-)
Pin 18 = Test Modulation (-)
Pin 19 = Not Used
Pin 20 = Modulation (-) - BROWN WIRE
Pin 21 = Digital Reflected (-)
Pin 22 = Digital Forward(-)
Pin 23 = Duty Cycle Limit (-)
Pin 24 = VSWR Limit (-)
Pin 25 = Not Used

Pin-outs available on the AWC608:

Pin 1 = DC5V
Pin 2 = Protect
Pin 3 = PWM
Pin 4 = TTL
Pin 5 = GND

Thanks again,

Russell
Attachments
G100_manual - Copy.pdf
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
laserdude

Re: Need Help! Wiring an RF Laser Tube to AWC608 LO-X7

Post by laserdude »

Pin 3 = Enable - WHITE WIRE goes to Pin 5 = GND.
Pin 14, 15, 16 = Return (Reference for Pin 1,2,3) - BLACK WIRE goes to Pin 5 = GND.
Pin 7 = Modulation (+) - BLUE WIRE goes to Pin 3 = PWM.
Pin 20 = Modulation (-) - BROWN WIRE goes to Pin 5 = GND.

Make sure you select RF Type in the software.

Normally, the ENABLE would be connected to your safety functions, but the above will get you going.
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Laserdude, Thanks for the fast reply! I will give it a go when I get in the shop tomorrow morning. I'll post the results.

Thanks again!
overkill71

Post by overkill71 »

Laserdude,

THANK YOU! worked like a charm.

Russell

Return to “DSP X7”