DSP - Not enough extended space

dadelon

DSP - Not enough extended space

Post by dadelon »

I keep getting "Not enough extended space" errors. Does anyone know what the file size limit is? thanks.

Update: I'm obviously doing something wrong here. It does not matter how small a file I send. I'm getting this error every time I set the mode to "Laser Scan". I've seen these controllers do engravings but I cannot figure out how. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
twehr

Re: DSP - Not enough extended space

Post by twehr »

[quote="dadelon"]I keep getting "Not enough extended space" errors. Does anyone know what the file size limit is? thanks.

Update: I'm obviously doing something wrong here. It does not matter how small a file I send. I'm getting this error every time I set the mode to "Laser Scan". I've seen these controllers do engravings but I cannot figure out how. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.[/quote

Two reasons you can get this error, both happen when doing laser-scan (raster engraving) and both should be easy to fix.

Reason 1. Part of the bitmap image (or the vector image that is set to laser-scan - ex fonts) is hanging off in negative X dimension space. (I have never had this issue with straight laser-cutting.) This can happen if the controller thinks it needs to move to a vector position of x that is less than 0. Solution: make sure you are not asking the head to move to something less than x=0. (see attached document for a visual example.)

Reason 2. There is not enough room between the left edge of the bitmap and the X home position (x=0). For a slightly technical description of what is happening: When doing raster engraving (laser-scan), there is a certain amount of space to the left and right of the bitmap being scanned that is necessary for the laser head to start moving and get up to the full specified speed before actually firing the laser for the first bit. The distance that is needed is determined by the scanning speed and the acceleration speed. If the acceleration speed is very low (ex 500-1000), then it takes a long time to get up to full speed and the head needs to move further to the left of the starting point. So more space is needed between the x=0 and the left edge of the image. SOLUTION: you can move the image further to the right, providing more space between x =0 and the left edge of the image. Better yet, if you can work at a higher acceleration speed (10,000 - 30,000), you will eliminate nearly all of the margin area that is otherwise required. You also get the added advantage of a much faster overall project speed. (again, see the attached document for the visual explanation.)
Attachments
Extended Area Diagram.pdf
(12.72 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
dadelon

Post by dadelon »

twehr, you are awesome. It was reason 2! A few simple setting changes and everything is now working as expected. Thanks!!!
twehr

Post by twehr »

dadelon wrote:twehr, you are awesome. It was reason 2! A few simple setting changes and everything is now working as expected. Thanks!!!
Glad I could help! Hope you are enjoying your DSP as much as I am mine!
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

That's a great description. It has helped me, and probably a lot more people, sort out a lot of problems .
I sometimes wish the instructions that came with the software were more like this.
Thanks for posting. :-)

Rich.
dimky

Post by dimky »

Agree. :)
twehr

Post by twehr »

baccus61 wrote:That's a great description. It has helped me, and probably a lot more people, sort out a lot of problems .
I sometimes wish the instructions that came with the software were more like this.
Thanks for posting. :-)

Rich.
The original docs have two problems: 1) they were written as software descriptions, not user's manuals, and 2) though better than most, they still suffer from language translation problems.

Marco has always been great to work with, but he admits his knowledge of laser use is limited. Because I like Marco, and he sells good products, I am always glad to help, wherever I can.

If anyone is interested, I may talk to Marco about setting up a "users" forum where we can accomplish to things - 1) provide group support through sharing our experiences, and 2) share general laser-related ideas, projects, etc. If you or others are interested, I'll talk to Marco about this.

tim
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

yes, more knowledge is a good thing when it comes to these things. I was going to go through the posts and start a new thread with all the relevant and helpful thread links in it to help other less fortunate people find their way around these new fangled things.
I have been buying stuff off Marco through his eBay site for years and he is always there to help which is a lot more than I can say for other vendors.
:-)
Be well.
Rich.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Many thanks for the contribution from Rich and Tim! These two gentleman really help me a lot to support my customers! Let me know how I can help to make this forum better. I will do as much as I can.

By the way, I found a company (actually two) in China who make good quality CO2 laser power range from 100W to 180W with long life span for 8000hrs and up. These companies look like join venture with the western company and I think that is the reason they come up something good, instead of 1500hrs, now it's 8000hrs! I have a customer name "Rick" who is an CNC and laser expert and he is very helpfull. He been here once a while and I'll post his YouTube video soon. He bought one and he like it very much.

Marco
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

Hi Marco.
Those laser tubes are being sold on eBay by Coletech and have the glass to metal seal on the ends. They are available in 80 - 150 watt versions.
The metal to glass seal stops the gas from becoming contaminated as it does with the epoxy resin on the cheaper ones due to out gassing from the glue.
This makes them last so much longer.
I will definitely be buying one in the new year. About 150 watt will do me, I think.:-)
I was going to buy one from Parallax in the US but after all the taxes and shipping it would cost $6000 for a 100 watt glass tube one, but they are really good quality.
Rich.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Rich, I can get you a good laser for 8000hrs for less than $2500 with S/H. Of course, it's 100W or higher power :o

Return to “DSP X7”