Y axis motor and work area

the_dude

Y axis motor and work area

Post by the_dude »

I am using laser cad v7 09b with a 100w kit we put together.

1.when I advance the y axis either Pos or Neg on the control box or in lasercad with the onscreen buttons the motor runs in the Pos direction.
This didn't use to happen, it just suddenly started. How can this be fixed, did I accidentally change a setting?

2. under system settings laser cad was set to 900 x 1200 mm even though the kit is 600 x 900mm

please help
Tech_Marco

Re: Y axis motor and work area

Post by Tech_Marco »

All can be configured through LaserCad parameter setup
Make sure you do "Read" first, then "Save" the changes, and hit "Reset" button LCD control panel to take effect.

Marco
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

Each time I hit read it changes the values back to 1200 x 900 when i press save it asks for a password, which I have not set so I press OK and shows password error.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You must use the password to save data to the System
Pass: 608
The password never changed and been using for last 3yrs

Marco
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

It will now let me save, and no matter what i set my key direction to they axis still only moves in the positive direction.
For example if i move all the way to the end of the axis (900) it will stop, so i then press the y- button to move back the other direction and the motor still spins positive but it thinks it has moved negative. I know this by hitting the read position button.

Right now i have the drive shaft disconnected for the y axis so the motor doesn't run itself in to the rail.
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

also when i reset the system, it tries to move to home as it should,
it moves to position on the x axis stays as it travels to y axis home, hits the y axis limit, backs off as it should hits y axis limit a second time and rather then running in the proper direction back toward the center of the work area it then spins to go further outside the work area which would run it into the rails.

i bring this us to make the point that even when the motor is resetting it still only runs one way.

does that help
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I need to know what kind of setup on your machine. Need to know the type of motor drivers, micro-step, current setting...etc..

Was the issue only happened on Y axis, what about the X axis? If it only happened on Y axis, then you may want to swap the motor drivers and give it a try.
Also, check the connection on the motor driver DIR+ and DIR- which is used to change direction of the motor.

Finally, check the connection from the motor driver to the DSP connection see if you reversed the connection DIR+/PUL+ and DIR-/PUL-
It is easy to connect the DIR and PUL reversed by mistake. A lose connection on DIR+/- could cause the issue

Marco
prcdslnc13

Post by prcdslnc13 »

check your wire connections. Sometimes loose connections at the motor or driver can cause weird single directional behavior. A lot of machines I've seen doing this have broken wires and the jumping signal causes it. Ive seen this 4 or 5 times in cnc mills and 3D printers.
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

here is a video of the problem

http://youtu.be/I1yN72_fjMs

here is a screen shot of my mfg setting

Here is a summary of what is happening
I press the reset button

my y axis travels toward the limit switch and hits it and backs off as it should
x axis travels to the side
y axis hits limit switch again as it should verifying its at the switch......THEN

rather than going toward where zero is (in the middle of the work area) accelerates at top speed in to the end bar.

in the video above I have disabled the drive shaft on the Y axis as not to hurt the motor.
you can hear me hit reset on the box, the motor engages and does exactly what I have described about but I hit the limit switch to demonstrate the issue.

Not sure if its related but if I press the file button on the display control box it says NO UDISK FILE!

Please help me I need to make this thing run ASAP
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Can you post the "User Parameter" as well.
Also, can you take a video again. The video you post wasn't good enough for me to review. I saw that the Y seems not running smooth. So, it is better you turn off the machine then move the laser head to the opposite location and let it run longer before you nave to stop it manually

Thx
Marco
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If the motor is only running in one direction, there are 3 possibilities:
1) Motor is dead
2) Motor driver connection issue (reversed or lose)
3) DSP output circuitry is dead (very odd). It is usually caused by electric shock from the laser power supply somehow. Improper grounding or bad grounding may cause static built up

So, first thin I will do is to swap the motor drivers. If it works just fine, then the 2nd thing I'll do is to swap the X & Y motor output port to verify that whether the DSP is functioning properly
If it still works fine, the it could be a bad motor. Do the trouble shooting step by step using 'logical thinking' (If not, else if, else if ,....., else....)

Let us know what you found.

Marco
Telrad

Post by Telrad »

I guarantee you that the dir wire on the axis is not connecting to the driver. Get out a small screwdriver and tighten the wireon the DSP and motor controller. It might look connected but it is not. Vibrations on the machine can work loose the screws over time.
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

Thanks Telrad ! Will do here is another video and screen that marco requested in the mean time

http://youtu.be/hoqwfqalJm8--

Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Swap X,Y motor driver and check. If OK, then leave it as is because both motors and drivers are the same.
Then, swap X Y motor output port on the DSP card and check.
If .... then...
Elseif ....
Elseif....
Else..
EndIf

You will be able to tell who is the bad guy

Marco
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

Thank you for all the help, it was just what I needed.
We finally got the maddening problem chased down and both axis work now!!

Return to “DSP X7”