laser power reduced

andyseubert

laser power reduced

Post by andyseubert »

I have a laser tube from another supplier - buildyourcnc.com - but the dsp and power supply are from lightobject.
I also have the milliwatt gauge / readout from lightobject.
I am no longer able to achieve 18mw and the power of the laser seems reduced. it is no longer able to reliably cut 1/8 inch plywood, which has been no problem in the past.

my question: do I suspect the tube or the power supply? (I suspect the tube but seek advice)
Blackcloud161

Re: laser power reduced

Post by Blackcloud161 »

First: Is the tube a replacement, or DSP upgrade? Cause it sounds like things were grand till some event change things.
Next: Check the outputs on the PSU. this is easier than checking the laser output (unless you have this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOM ... H8EMXH35K5 )
This also assumes its less than a 100W laser.
Lastly: Run thru all the usual suspects. Clean the lenses, check beam alignment, verify water temp and flow,Check input power from wall source (if possible), yada yada yada...
andyseubert

Re: laser power reduced

Post by andyseubert »

I am not sure about your first question: this was the original tube, and I replaced the DSP so maybe the answer is "DSP upgrade"

second I don't know how to check the PSU outputs do you have advice for me on that?

It is a 40watt co2 tube.

nothing changed as far as I can tell except that the power seems to be reducing. I am not seeing 18mw any more no matter what I tell the lasercad to send out. Also the cuts are definitely less effective.

I will take your advice and clean the lens and mirrors again in the hopes it would improve the cutting power but I doubt that will change the milliwatts read on the gauge though.

Thanks for your reply!

Return to “DSP X7”