Purchased DSP - Do I need to purchase PSU too?

Blackcloud161

Purchased DSP - Do I need to purchase PSU too?

Post by Blackcloud161 »

Howdy all

I have purchased the AWC-608 controller setup and being very cautious in setting it up. I ran into a snag with the PSU but managed to sort that out by reading up more on the subject. I have another question that has sprang up from reading more about the upgrade. Do I need to replace my PSU (which is the stock nit that came with the laser) with one that has PWM and TTL? I recall that the stock one can damage some of the components in the upgrade over time but am not certain if that is true or not.

I will get pics posted of PSU once I get home.

Thoughts for now on the matter?
Blackcloud161

Re: Purchased DSP - Do I need to purchase PSU too?

Post by Blackcloud161 »

Ok here are the pics as promised (sry for delay it's been crazy here)
rps20141219_011440[1].jpg
rps20141219_011337[1].jpg
rps20141219_011241[1].jpg
and here is the link to the MFG of the PSU
http://en.jnmydy.com/products_detail/&productId=22.html
It looks like it might have PWM (item 3 on the description)
But I can't tell if it has TTL
I will continue to look over the forums.
Please let me know if more pics are needed.
Thanks for any help in advance.

UPDATE:
found this that seems to indicate it has TTL as well as PWM but we all know how the internet can be
http://www.ecvv.com/product/3284068.html
prcdslnc13

Post by prcdslnc13 »

If you look in this thread you can see how I wired mine. It looks like the same power supply short of my terminals being screw terminals but the wiring nominclature is the same. I cant tell you if its 100% right, but its working and producing good results. I cant convince marco to reply to me on this subject anymore, and Im frankly kinda frustrated since I've spent a couple thousand dollars with him this year, but whatever, Im sure hes busy like we all are right now.

so in the short term you can look at my little paint drawing of how mine is wired and functional right now.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2381
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

prcdslnc13 wrote:If you look in this thread you can see how I wired mine. It looks like the same power supply short of my terminals being screw terminals but the wiring nominclature is the same. I cant tell you if its 100% right, but its working and producing good results. I cant convince marco to reply to me on this subject anymore, and Im frankly kinda frustrated since I've spent a couple thousand dollars with him this year, but whatever, Im sure hes busy like we all are right now.

so in the short term you can look at my little paint drawing of how mine is wired and functional right now.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2381

I'm sorry not reply you on time. But it is not fair for you say so. To me, it doesn't matter if it is $10 deal or $10,000 deal, I do what I can support. You know it is not a simple issue as I need to be responsible to what I said things here. I don't have the type of PSU you have and I didn't test that kind of PSU you have so how could I tell you if it worked or not. Plus, I told you that the connection seems not right as you have the Output connected to the switch grounded. I didn't design the DSP so I'm not sure if that could cause any trouble. I got to put my hands, test it before making any feedback here.

FYI, even though I didn't reply you in last two days but it didn't mean I ignored you or not doing anything. FYI, I even talked to a folk and asked him if he could sell me the PSU so that I could run some test on it. I also asked for a donation from someone who is no longer using that stock PSU. Moreover, I sent a request to my supplier asked if he could find me the same PSU. If everything I did was not helpful or not acceptable. Probably I was not doing my job right here

Marco
AndyKunz

Post by AndyKunz »

Tech_Marco wrote:Probably I was not doing my job right here
That's definitely not the case! We appreciate all you do, Marco. As I said before, your visibility and support on the forum here were definitely a contributing factor to me deciding to buy my laser from LO.

Andy
Blackcloud161

Post by Blackcloud161 »

Hey Marco
Maybe we can help each other here. I have the PSU I have an old Fluke Meter (Basic things like AC DC Resistance and what not).
For TTL what am I looking for output voltages and so forth. (http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threa ... er.100211/)
For PWM what am I looking for output voltages and so forth. (not my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_7lG86CbLM)
Just let me know what to look for and if these link(s)/video look right.
(PS the red and black leads were reversed. I just placed them in position for the photo)

cheers!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

TTL - a form of output in modulation, as opposite to an analog output. Ideally it is ether 0V or 5V (In computer world, it is 0 and 1). For Positive logic, 0V = low (0), 5V = High (1). But in reality, we always used Level Low logic for controller for better false triggering caused by noise (electromagnetic causing). So, 0V is High and 5V is Low. Anyway, TTL signal is 0V/5V

PWM: Pulse Width Modulation
It is similar to the TTL, as signal is either 0V or 5V. However, the pulse width is adjustable from 0%(0V) to 100% (DC) call duty cycle. A square wave is 50%/50% or 50% OFF and 50% ON. The DSP control laser power by controlling the duty cycle

By controlling the % of duty cycle, a PWM circuit has a integral circuitry to sum up the the pulse and output voltage from 0V to 5V(ideally). So, at certain time, if PWM is 100%, the output is 5V. If it is 50%/50%, the output is 2.5V. The laser power supply output level is proportional to the voltage. 2.5V should get your roughly 50% power while 5V (100% cycle) give you a full power output.

TTL installed on the power supply is a gate operator. It enable the PSU and can take certain frequency from 0Hz to 10KHz. I believe that the PPI feature is having something to deal with it. There is TH and TL (Level High and Level Low). So, you either connect the TH to +5V or TL to Gnd(0V) to enable the PSU.

Anyway, the power supply that comes with K40 is a little different than the regular PWM PSU. But the concept is similar. The K+ K- or D+ D- is something similar to the TTL but may not support pulse input. So, it may not support PPI. Plus, if it is not PWM, while it may work but the quality may not be good as a PWM (detail wise), especially for engraving. I don't think there is much difference on cutting except for the PPI.

What I need to find out is the voltage level at K+/K- and the D+/D-. If it is TTL circuit, then highly chance the DSP can work with that. If it is not, then.... be careful. I blew mine when I connected my DSP to the non standard PSU. It didn't kill it right at the moment but may be a few hours of usage. When I said it blew my DSP, probably it damage the PWM output circuitry.

Not sure if it help. Again, without the stock PSU for testing, it is hard for me to make conclusion.

Marco
Blackcloud161

Post by Blackcloud161 »

Marco

Thanks for the info! I feel better informed. I have sent you a PM with additional information

Good Hunting!
James
prcdslnc13

Post by prcdslnc13 »

Marco,
I'm sorry if my post sounded short. I re-read it, I probably could have worded it better, but I am a little frustrated on this topic. I do appreciate the time you take on this forum and the support you give. That's why I just ordered all the parts for a new laser build from you this week.

Im going to PM you as well but I want to apologize for the poor wording.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry if I was over reacted. I was so frustrated that I could not help because I didn't have that particular power supply handy. Sorry I picked on you. The fact was that I tried hard to get this case solved, 1) asking for a give away PSU, ) asking for info from a power manufacturer, 3) looking for a similar from China. I did all above.

Anyway, I thank you Joe who was willing to send me his stock PSU for very low price. Once I have it some times on next week, I will do a few test and will post the proper connection.

Marco
prcdslnc13

Post by prcdslnc13 »

any updates on this?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Not yet. :eek:

Christmas holiday. We need a rest ~~
Resume work soon though

Marco
prcdslnc13

Post by prcdslnc13 »

Get anywhere? Just checking
Blackcloud161

Post by Blackcloud161 »

So far I have been able to determine that The PWM signal goes to the input marked "IN".
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The one I received is different than the one you have. I won't be surprised the one I received would work because the pin layout is identical to regular PWM

It will take me a little more time to test it as I have to build a machine to test it

Marco

Return to “DSP X7”