Can any one help me with ethernet connection

Greolt

Can any one help me with ethernet connection

Post by Greolt »

I have given up on USB connection to the AWC608 and moved over to Ethernet.

The Ethernet works much more reliably BUT I have what I guess is a network issue.

I have two adapters in network connections.

Local Area Connection (ethernet cable to AWC608) and a Wireless Connection (Wifi) to the home network (homegroup)

Communication with AWC608 will fail if wireless adapter is enabled.

Disable wireless adapter, then communication with AWC608 fine.

Enable wireless adapter, then communication with AWC608 fails

Anyone knowledgeable enough to give me some guidance.

My wild guess is that it is something to do with DHCP

Thanks

Greolt
Tech_Marco

Re: Can any one help me with ethernet connection

Post by Tech_Marco »

Case 1: One network card:
Make sure your machine is configure to have the same subnet.
For example, if your Wi-Fi is getting IP like "192.168.0.100", then the DSP must be configured to "192.168.0.x" where the 'x' you either hardcode it or assigned it by the DHCP server from your wireless router.

Case 2: One NIC + Wi-Fi
In this case, you must set the DSP to different network like 192.168.1.X and you need to configure your NIC to the same subnet. For example: DSP@ 192.168.1.10 , NIC@ 192.168.1.2 Your Wi-Fi should be @ 192.168.0.x (note you have "0" but not "1" here)

Give it a try

Marco
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

Thanks Marco

I tried what I think you said. :)

I have one NIC on the motherboard. It is connected to the AWC608 only via cat5 cable. To nothing else.

NIC is set to 192.168.2.27 subnet 255.255.255.0

AWC608 is set to 192.168.2.28

This setup communicates between computer and AWC608 no problem so long as the wifi adapter is disabled.

Wifi adapter (USB) is set to get "obtain an IP address automatically"

Wireless router or access point, is set to enable DHCP with a range of 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.20
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

How do you connect the NIC to AWC608 card? Through direct cable or a standalone router or the Wi-Fi router?
You must use a separate router or even a hub should take care the job for the DSP vs PC

Marco
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

NIC to AWC608 connection is direct via a cat5 cable. Nothing in between. No other connection to the NIC.

This works flawlessly so long as the wireless adapter is disabled.

Enable wireless and it no longer works.

Do you mean I should put a hub between the NIC and AWC608? When nothing else would be connected to the hub?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The best is to connect the DSP to the wireless router and use one subnet only.

I think the problem is that by direct connection, there is no Gateway. So, once your wirelessbis on line, it assign a gateway to your system. Yoir PC is trying to go through tje gateway to the DSP and blocked because it is in different subnet

Marco
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

Thanks for your help Marco.

The computer communicating with the AWC608 is right next to it.

So it makes sense for the direct cat5 connection. A cable only a metre long.

It would be a major task to run cat5 all the way from the AWC608 to the wireless router/modem, which is at the other end of the house (office)

So it seems like I am stuck with disabling the wireless adapter before sending a file to the AWC608 or revert to the USB with its associated hang problems.

Greolt
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Didy you assign Gateway IP on your NIC? Sure WiFi will assign your wireless card gateway IP like 192.168.0.1, but what about the NIC

Give it a try. If your NIC/DSP is hav8ng 192.168.2.x, then assign 192.168.2.1 as gateway to your NIC

If it didn't work, then it must be set up in the same network segment

Marco
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

Yeah tried that.

I think I have to just live with it.

Thanks Marco
cefs

Post by cefs »

One thing to try would be to set the 'metric' field for each interface. Your computer is most probably trying to use the wifi connection as it is the default.
Go into the settings for each interface, where you set ip address and subnet etc, and there should be a field which is most probably blank called metric, and set a number for each interface. The one with the lowest number will then be chosen first. Use a fairly high number, something higher than a 1000 for the cabled interface and a higher number for the wifi connection and hopefully that should work.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Thank you Cefs to bring that up. Yes, the "metrics" is similar to the "distance" and network preferred shorter path. So, if you can set lower value on the "Wi-Fi" and set higher value on the NIC. That way, your system always take Wi-Fi as preferred network. Since you hard code the DSP and the LaserCad, I believe when you use laser, it should communicate.

And good luck Greolt.

Marco
lasermach

Post by lasermach »

It seems to me that you might be able to resolve this by using a wireless Ethernet bridge (such as a D-Link DAP-1522). Provided that your wireless network is stable, you'd set up the bridge to connect to your router wirelessly, and connect the AWC608 to the bridge via Cat5. The DSP, bridge, and your computer would all be on the same network, which should resolve your problem.

I think. Haven't actually tried this myself, so can't be sure. Marco, am I off base here anywhere, or does this sound feasible?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Yes, you can use another wireless router for the DSP and then bridge it. But it need some skill on networking when dealing with bridging. And, it will cost him an extra probably $90 for the bridge. Beside that, subnet mask may be need to setup and it is the most nasty things to deal with.

I got my MCSE back to 2002 and most of my 'skill' gone. I haven't played around networking for years so... I'm not sure either. Need some hands on to test it. Nowadays net technology is highly improved and router, bridge, or switch that are configurable are all around and affordable.

Let me consult by buddy who is a great network guy (MCSE, CNE, Cisco router ...) and he may give me a hint

Marco
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

cefs wrote:One thing to try would be to set the 'metric' field for each interface. Your computer is most probably trying to use the wifi connection as it is the default.
Go into the settings for each interface, where you set ip address and subnet etc, and there should be a field which is most probably blank called metric, and set a number for each interface. The one with the lowest number will then be chosen first. Use a fairly high number, something higher than a 1000 for the cabled interface and a higher number for the wifi connection and hopefully that should work.
Thanks for the advice. I will try that as soon as I get some time today.

Greolt

EDIT:
Unfortunately when setting the Metric as described the computer will no longer look to the wifi adapter for the home network and internet.

Thanks anyway.
LaserGoodies

Post by LaserGoodies »

Hello,

After reading up on this i would like to add any help i could have. I work as a day job with IT and have my Cisco CCNA so i see a few problems with the connection.

First off when you connect the computer to the machine without a router or switch in-between you will need to use a Crossover cable and not a normal Cat5 Cable.
http://www.fullduplex.org/content/cat-5 ... layout.gif

Secondly as people have stated you need to make sure that the wireless NIC and the wired NIC are not on the same network (i.e: both on 192.168.1.0)
I would change your Wired to the 192.168.200.10 (200 is random you can use anything that is not the same as wireless) on the computer and 192.168.200.11 . Both the subnets should be /24 (255.255.255.0) and the gateway should be nothing at all since it is not going out to the internet. At the point you should be able to communicate with the machine.

If you have problems you could change the metric on the wireless NIC to something above 100 and the Wired NIC to 10. The directions are at the bottom of page.

Hope this fixes your problems and you can get cutting!

~Laser Goodies
http://lasergoodies.com

Change Network Metric Value
You can read a little bit about how metric values work when accessing network resources here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299540

In order to change the values, you need to go to Network Connections again, but this time right-click on the network you want to change the metric value for and choose Properties.

network properties

Now click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.

ip4 tcp ip

Then click on the Advanced button at the bottom right:

advanced network

Lastly, on the IP Settings dialog, go ahead and uncheck the Automatic metric box and then type in a value yourself.

interface metric

For the wired connection, you want a lower value and it’s best to start with 10. At least that’s the standard Microsoft uses. For the wireless connection, you can type in a higher value like 100. This will ensure that in the routing table, the “faster” network route is now the wired connection instead of the wireless connection.

Return to “DSP X7”