Can't find Coreldraw/Autocad

unrealworld

Can't find Coreldraw/Autocad

Post by unrealworld »

Hi,

I have both of the above programs installed (Coreldraw and Autocad) but when running the LaserCad installation, I get the error 'Can't find <program name>'.

Both programs are installed on a second drive (ie not my C:\ drive), I assume this is what is causing the problem. Is there any way round this?

unrealworld

Re: Can't find Coreldraw/Autocad

Post by unrealworld »

Anyone?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Can't you just point the LaserCad to the specific folder if you know that the CorelDraw installed in different drive/folder?

You didn't tell what version CorelDraw; X5,X6, X7??

If you don't provide basic info, folks seems less interest to reply

Marco
unrealworld

Post by unrealworld »

I haven't found any way to point the Coreldraw_lasercut installer to a specific folder.

I have tried, installing the main lasercad program into the coreldraw programs folder, copying relevant files from my work computer (where it works). But none of this has worked.

The only difference between these two machines is that my home machine has two hard drives and is 64bit. Could either of these be causing the problem?

The version is Coreldraw x6, but I have it working on my work pc, so that is not the issue.
andyseubert

Post by andyseubert »

unrealworld:
the installer is not flexible at all. It is looking for the specific folder path that it expects.

I think you might try creating the same folder structure under c:\program files that corel installed in on your other driver letter.
Then the installer should find that (although I think it may also look for the .exe) and install itself into the folder structure on the C: drive

if that works, then you can copy the files over to the correct location and I bet it will work.

I am away from my regular computer where I had to make a similar configuration for x6, so I am not able to give you more specific details..
I have since switched mostly over to inkscape for other reasons and unfortunately there is no macro for inkscape which is less convenient.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I have sent request to the programmer Mr. Lee to look at this issue. Hope he can come up something quick and handy

Regards,
Marco
unrealworld

Post by unrealworld »

Thank you both.

Andyseubert, I have tried your method, but as you suspected, I think it may be looking for the .exe file - unfortunately. Good idea though.

Marco, I have copied the file "AWCCorelX5.gms" located in Corel>Coreldraw graphic suite x6>Draw>GMS from my computer at work, now the macros appears in Coreldraw, but the "run" button is greyed out and when I click create it is saying that a password is required. Are you able to get a copy of that password? It is not the three number one you provide with the LaserCAD software.

Thanks again.
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

Marco, some additional details.

I have just discovered that LaserCAD (v.09B) also doesn't find CorelDRAW Technical Suite X6. I tried installing that in both its default location, and in the default location that CorelDraw Graphics Suite would have used -- both no-go.

I then installed a trial version of CoreDRAW Graphics Suite X6, and that LaserCAD found just fine. [But I don't have a license for that one.]

So I don't think it's actually looking for the CorelDRW.exe as it would have found that when I installed the Technical Suite version in the Graphic Suite location. Must be something in the registry it's looking for that's different between the versions and installation locations.

In any case, I had expected it to work with Technical Suite X6 since that's a super-set of Graphics Suite X6, and am quite surprised it didn't. I do hope the programmer can resolve this.
greg_gran

Post by greg_gran »

unrealworld wrote:Thank you both.

Andyseubert, I have tried your method, but as you suspected, I think it may be looking for the .exe file - unfortunately. Good idea though.

Marco, I have copied the file "AWCCorelX5.gms" located in Corel>Coreldraw graphic suite x6>Draw>GMS from my computer at work, now the macros appears in Coreldraw, but the "run" button is greyed out and when I click create it is saying that a password is required. Are you able to get a copy of that password? It is not the three number one you provide with the LaserCAD software.

Thanks again.
I've just run into this also. There are several problems.

1) The Installer apparently looks for specific CorelDRAW files in C:\Program Files. That can be worked around if you've got access to a machine upon which CorelDRAW WAS installed in C:\Program Files, and the "CorelDraw_LaserCut" installer was run. You can then copy the relevant LaserCAD files in the "Draw" and "Programs" to a new installation location . Those files include everything in the "Programs" folder that starts with "AWC". There are also some sub folders that start with AWC. Get them too. Don't copy any other files, since those files were installed by CorelDRAW, not the CorelDraw_LaserCut installer.

In my case, I wanted to copy them to D:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, because my CorelDRAW computer has a Solid State C:\ drive which doesn't have much space. My target CorelDRAW computer is also running Windows 7 64-bit, which complicates things a little more. On the 64 bit system, the Programs folder is actually called "Programs64".

2) AWCCorelX5.gms needs to be modified to run on a 64 bit system. That is why the run button is grayed out.

3) The AWCCorelX5.gms macro is a locked VBA project file, which is why it asks for a password. However, locked VBA project file passwords are notoriously easy to bypass :twisted:
I can provide more info on how to do that, or I could supply the macro file with a known password. Whatever seems more appropriate.

After modifying the AWCCorelX5.gms macro and saving, the "Init" portion of the macro can be run from within CorelDRAW, and the toolbar will be created.

So far so good. If you get this far, you may be up and running. However in my case I'm still stuck with a small problem (see below).

4) When I press the LaserStart button on the toolbar, the script runs and calls a .dll named AWCSrtCad.dll. The script is giving an error indicating that it can't find the .dll. I initially thought it was a dependency issue, but now I'm beginning to think it's simply a dll registration or file location issue. I haven't done much VBA programming for a few years and I'm a little rusty at this.
If anyone else has windows programming experience, your insights would be welcome.
greg_gran

Post by greg_gran »

After some more research I determined that the .dll's (AWCSrtCad.dll, and AWCIptBdf.dll)that are installed by the "CorelDraw_LaserCut" installer are compiled as 32 bit dll's. They can not be called from VBA7, which is the 64 bit version of VBA that is installed when the 64 bit version of CorelDRAW X6 is installed. If the dll's were recompiled as 64 bit, they would work. Perhaps the LaserCAD programmer will do that at some point?

The work-around for now seems to be to simply install the 32 bit version of CorelDRAW on your Windows 7 64 bit machine. It will default to a 64 bit installation when you put in the CorelDRAW DVD, so you need to go into the (x86) folder and run setup.exe from there.

I don't think anyone will see a difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of CorelDRAW unless your project needs a crazy amount of memory (like greater than 2GB).

At any rate, installing both CorelDRAW and LaserCAD to an alternate location on drive D:\Program Files (x86) works just fine if you manually copy the required LaserCAD files into the same directory locations as they are installed on a C:\ drive installation. It's a shame the CorelDraw_LaserCut installer will not let you select a different target directory, but they can be copied manually...

Return to “DSP X7”