New LO DSP controller card with Dynamic Color LCD V7

MitchL

Re: New LO DSP controller card with Dynamic Color LCD V7

Post by MitchL »

The new layout looks clean. I like the separate Z+/Z- buttons.

In fact, I'd like to plan to replace the AWC608 with this when the time comes.

- Is the cutout for the display the same as the 608? If not, do you have a footprint for it yet?
- Is the DSP itself the same size as the previous one? Are the connections in the same or similar locations?

I know you're mostly looking for display feedback, but here are my top controller requests:

- A delay-start, to give the exhaust time to come to speed after you press the START key and before the laser fires first time.
- A way to disable (or make it hard to use) the LASER button on the panel. I intend to let high school robotics students use my laser (supervised), but I don't want anyone to manually fire the laser unless they know what they're doing.

/Mitch.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

The 2.5D is where I am most interested. I would love to be able to engrave 16 or up to 256 shades of grey for a great 3d effect or fine details in pictures so I can engrave granite headstones or plaques.
* This is my most wanted thing for a laser.
The panel looks fine as it is and is uncluttered.
A 2 button press for laser firing is a good safety idea too. I don't need it but can see the benefits for the schools etc.
I'm pretty happy with everything else as it is. I've had other software and this hardware/software for me is just the "bees knees"
Keep up your great tireless work Marco. I try to send people here as much as possible.
Rich.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Ladies and gentlemen, here we come the latest color DSP!
Attachments
LO-X7.jpg
LO-X7B.jpg
LO-X7Back.jpg
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

Cool, looks neat!

I still haven't cut the opening for the DSP for my laser yet. Do you have a drawing of the display's cutout? I'm hoping I can make a cutout that would work with either display (3D printing a bezel for the 608 if it's smaller).

(I know a CAD model isn't going to happen, but have you measured your samples?)

/Mitch.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hi Mitch:

I'll try to get the drawing from my buddy. If not, I'll measure the over size for the cut out. Probably do it on Monday. Need to take some rest on Sat and Sun. Enjoy my badminton and a cup of cappuccino. One day I will come to Bay Area to visit you smile

Marco
Telrad

Post by Telrad »

Wow! That looks really good! I really like the USB port on the controller. If the new DSP will engrave grayscale I will definitely buy two!
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

What is the availability of this new DSP? I was literally in the process of ordering parts for a K40 upgrade today. If this new version is available now or very soon, then maybe I'd be better to wait for it instead of old DSP.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Can't add a hand help unit yet as the mainboard is built in under the LCD panel. Instead, I want to make wireless handheld sometimes on next year. It will only work on system sold by LO but won't work on DSP soladvancedm 3rd parties.

I'm doing research on the logic behind the grayscale engraving. I have discussed with the programmer Li about it and he promised me that once I came up the logic, he could make one for me. But I got to tell in advance that the custom version is a Pro version and not free. Plus, a security lock "dongle" will be more likely to be used for protection.

The current X7 is available to sell.

http://www.lightobject.com/LO-DSP-Contr ... -P940.aspx

Current model is identical to AWC708 buta custom made LaserCad will be launched to work on X7 only

Marco
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

That grey scale engraving is VERY enticing. I can't wait. :-)
You're doing a great job getting out a pretty good product, Marco.
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

I'm finally getting around to installing the 708C (upgraded from the 608) in my laser.

I have it powered up on the bench (but not installed in the laser) - initial impressions:

- The color screen is fast and clear. I like how quickly it responds to the buttons compared to the 608.
- The user interface initially comes up in Chinese (sure, why not?) Press Menu, go to option 9, then press <- -> to select your language of choice (or stay with Chinese if that's your language!)
- There's a time-of-day clock on the screen that I can't figure out how to set. Perhaps that's settable in LaserCAD.
- The layout of the connections on the DSP box is close enough to the 608 that it should be a snap to install. The only recabling I'll need to do is to move the USB and Ethernet pigtails to the back of the control panel.
- There are two connectors CN1, CN2 on both the display unit and the DSP, but one cable supplied. I've connected only CN1 assuming the others are for future use.

First problem I ran into was the USB driver - the 64bitUSB_Driver.rar is identical to the one for the 608 but is not recognized. The 708C looks like a VCOM device with USB VID/PID 1FC9/0083 - this is an NXP VID. I installed this driver:

http://www.lpcware.com/category/file-types/driver

Then forced Windows to use this driver for the 708C in the Device Manager. It seems to be able to talk to the 708C now, but this is not ideal (Marco? Is there a different driver we should use?)

I'll copy the axis parameters into the 708C later today and see if I can start cutting stuff.

/Mitch.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Marco
I'm guessing that we have to replace both the front panel AND the 608 'distributor' unit? Or is it possible to achieve something with the front panel on the old 608?
Sorry, not clear - I must have been dozing at the back of the class...
Nick
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

NickWL wrote:Marco
I'm guessing that we have to replace both the front panel AND the 608 'distributor' unit? Or is it possible to achieve something with the front panel on the old 608?
Sorry, not clear - I must have been dozing at the back of the class...
Nick
You'll need to replace both units, they are quite different from one another (cables, connectors). The USB and Ethernet are now on the back of the control panel, not on the DSP box, and the connecting cable has many more conductors on it.

(this is why I was pestering Marco for dimensions so I could plan for the upgrade!)

/Mitch.
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Thanks Mitch - pretty much what I expected (but I'd be foolish not to ask!)
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

OK, I tried to install my 708C and have run into my first problem:

It won't talk to my Geckodrive stepper controllers.

This is kind of annoying, but I'm not 100% surprised either.

Geckodrive motor controls have a common _cathode_ for their internal optoisolators. This means that you basically share a ground with the controller and drive high to pulse.

(edit: Fascinating. the G203Vs have common grounds. The lower-end G201s can handle either type of common).

The AWC608 and 708C seem to expect motor controllers to have a common _anode_ (or at least the +V pin is the common). In this case, they drive LOW to pulse. This arrangement would be typical for "open collector" outputs from the AWC. With open collector, you can pull a signal low, but it is normally held high with a weak resistor.

On the 608, the controller appears to drive both high and low, so I was able to use one of the OUTPUT grounds for the motor controller (all GND pins on the AWC608/708 are common). So, my Geckodrives worked fine in this arrangement.

No such luck for the 708C, the voltage never gets high enough to get the Geckodrive to listen, probably because it is just weakly pulled up.

Marco: Can you confirm with the manufacturer that they've changed the way the PULS and DIR signals are driven from the 708? If these signals are attached to an FPGA or microcontroller, it's actually possible for them to change the behavior in a firmware update, but I'm not counting on that.

I'll need to build a little external circuit to switch things around. Should be easy enough, can be just a transistor per channel, or perhaps something easier like a 7406 or 7407 buffer/inverter. I'll see what I have in my junkbox.

/Mitch.
Greolt

Post by Greolt »

I use a G251 Gecko on the Z axis. This requires a common ground (unlike the G201s which drive X and Y)

It runs just fine picking up a ground from the lower laser power connector.

This is on a AWC708C lite

Return to “DSP X7”