DSP power wiring help

NickWL

Re: DSP power wiring help

Post by NickWL »

To answer (only) the second part: I fixed a 240v (UK here) socket strip at the top of the electronics compartment of my K40 and used a couple of wall-warts to provide 5v and 12v, one socket for an aquarium air pump (about to be replaced by a small airbrush compressor - 23cu ft/min) and one waiting for a future use.
this lot does NOT get killed by the Big Red Button.
HTH
Nick
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

For a small power laser like 60W or lower, direct hooking up 'live' AC power through the Emergence Button is OK. But for anything over 80W due to high current conducting (80W equivalent to 800W consumption, 4A for AC220V or 8A for AC110V), you better to use a relay or a SSR as a power switch to controller power or cut off instead of using the EMR button alone. It is because the Emrg button can handle 3~5A current only. So, to be safe, it is better to use the EMRG button as a remote On/Off switch, to either energize or shut off the relay, which is bridging AC power to the laser machine

Marco
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Ammeter MUST have the 'little black box' - this is an isolated and regulated power supply without which you will get incorrect readings and strange happenings! Promise...
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is ok if the current being measure is not coming from same current source on the current meter. That said, if you have a separated power supply for the ammeter, you will be fine. The power module created a 'virtual' Independence power source (no common ground), that is what a current meter need to work properly and avoid the feedback current from the same circuit.

Marco
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

My air tubing for the nozzle is a length of silicone tube (very tough and flexible) that I got by sending off for a free sample! It runs over a paper-clip Sugru'd to the top (Google Sugru if you don't know it, it's a magical and extremely useful material).
It's done a good many hours completely trouble free.
I also have an 'air curtain' fed from the same airbrush compressor (which I'm thinking of upgrading) which sweeps all the shit from front back towards the exhaust ports so helping to prevent condensation on mirrors etc.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (121.73 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
Nick
ps - no idea why, but this board has taken to rotating all my pictures through 270 degrees!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Nick:

If the result is 270'C rotated, chance is that you didn't set up the "Page zero" or "Machine zero" under the Work Space setting
Also, check the "Positiion Relative" and make sure that it all match the the HOME switch location
After change, make sure to hit RESET to take it in effect. By the way, the work file may need to save again

Marco
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

No no Marco! :lol: My machine is running fine.
The comment was about my photograph (above) on the forum - these seem to get rotated when I ask for them to be inline with a text posting!
Not a problem!!!
Nick
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Steve - did you also notice the self-adhesive LED strip? A fiver's worth off eBay (5 metres!) runs around the inside of the box to another wall-wart (12v this time) and gives me a really well-lit interior. Vital when calibrating the system
Sugru: simply brilliant - get a sample pack and have a go - uses are endless! And it's tough.
As to AC and AC, yes, either way round should be OK.

The z-stepper though, not sure I can help, but mine (from Lightobject, but not necessarily the same z-table) goes:
V+ yellow
V- orange
B+ red
B- brown

Good luck!
Nick
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

Aaah - the garage! What a dumb move!!!!
I put mine in my office (next to the kitchen) and, because it took ages to get it up and running nobody had much to say except when they noticed the occasional odd smell.
Then I made a hole through the office wall (outside wall) and plumbed the laser exhaust into that. I made it so the exhaust can be pulled out and a wall-coloured cap put on in its place. No-one noticed that for about two months!
Then I started cutting perspex (acrylic) and the complaints came thick 'n fast - but I was well and truly 'in' by then so made lots of promises; Meanwhile kept the outer door open (office has its own outside door - handy!).

Not sure that I've actually 'won', but so far, so good!
Last edited by NickWL on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyseubert

Post by andyseubert »

I have not yet committed to this level but this looks like a pretty excellent solution to the odor problem

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a ... extractor/

Return to “DSP X7”