engraving from AutoCad drawings

brian257

engraving from AutoCad drawings

Post by brian257 »

I do all of my work in AutoCad and I found that the DXF output works great for cut files into Lasercad, but for engraving, not so much. I have a few issues. For some reason text in true type fonts work are saved in the DXF, but the text winds up missing when imported into Lasercad. Hatches used for solid fill wind up as just outlines when imported into Lasercad.

Since I work mostly with things that need exact alignment and precise cuts along with the engraving I really need to do the files in AutoCad, but this is just not working. AutoCad does not have a great output when plotting as a JPG so I need to make a PDF and then convert from PDF to JPG to make a raster file with acceptable resolution, but then the resolution is still not as good as I need and I wind up loosing my vector lines that I use for cuts. Possibly I could make an engrave file as a raster with a separate cut file as vector, but I they will probably not align correctly and still not the resolution I need for the engraving.

How are the rest of you making your files when you need AutoCad precision?
waltfl

Re: engraving from AutoCad drawings

Post by waltfl »

why you just import the DXF file in lasercad, then select cut after engraving in the layer selection.
with this the lines are exactly cut after engraving.
greetings
walt

brian257 wrote:I do all of my work in AutoCad and I found that the DXF output works great for cut files into Lasercad, but for engraving, not so much. I have a few issues. For some reason text in true type fonts work are saved in the DXF, but the text winds up missing when imported into Lasercad. Hatches used for solid fill wind up as just outlines when imported into Lasercad.

Since I work mostly with things that need exact alignment and precise cuts along with the engraving I really need to do the files in AutoCad, but this is just not working. AutoCad does not have a great output when plotting as a JPG so I need to make a PDF and then convert from PDF to JPG to make a raster file with acceptable resolution, but then the resolution is still not as good as I need and I wind up loosing my vector lines that I use for cuts. Possibly I could make an engrave file as a raster with a separate cut file as vector, but I they will probably not align correctly and still not the resolution I need for the engraving.

How are the rest of you making your files when you need AutoCad precision?
brian257

Post by brian257 »

Because as I said in my original post when I import a DXF into LaserCad the text disappears.
JAV-1

Post by JAV-1 »

I'm an ACAD user as well, I do all my precision cut designs in ACAD, export to dxf, then use Corell to do all artwork...then that goes to LaserCad. PITA, but it works for me.
brian257

Post by brian257 »

I have found that if you use the AutoCad Express tools to explode the text and then make the DXF it works great. At first I did not think it would raster engrave the text because it converts it to lines and I thought it would just try to vector engrave the outlines of the text only, but when you tell Lasercad to raster engrave a closed section of lines it fills them in for you.
erphillips

Post by erphillips »

Per the above reply I can explode Autocad True Type Text using express tools Then Save as DXF
What I am not finding is how to " tell Lasercad to raster engrave a closed section of lines"

I have not tried sending the file to the Laser yet But just trying to find the option as indicated.

Can you give me an Idea where its at in Lasercad?

Thanks
Ed
erphillips

Post by erphillips »

Never Mind Just not reading it Correctly Vector vs. Raster

My Bad

Ed
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

Ed..

I think you are basically describing the old 'convert to curves' problem.

I don't think the dxf will embed the font type in the file and therefore when you import it discards it. It's the same for Corel and Illustrator. You have to convert the text to curves and then make sure they are joined up.

LaserCad doesn't have a raster engrave enclosed lines, you either have to convert those lines to a bitmap and import them or just turn down the power on the vector cut till it only engraves.

Return to “DSP X7”