DSP- LO-x7 limit switch

soenlin

DSP- LO-x7 limit switch

Post by soenlin »

I wired the limit switch so it is always closed (voltage meter beeps till button is pressed) is this backwards for the DSP controller?
Tech_Marco

Re: DSP- LO-x7 limit switch

Post by Tech_Marco »

The controller can take Normally opened or closed limit switch. You can configure it through the software
Usually we used normally opened

Marco
soenlin

Post by soenlin »

thanks
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

Just out of interest, I always wire limit switches so they are normally closed, so that if a wire should for some reason break it will cause all motion to stop, where as With NO, if there is a break the system will keep moving until the axis crashes at the extent of the axis.

So I was wondering why you normally wire them NO.

Thanks

David
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

So? if the limitswitches are defective, who tells me the output will be open when defect??? As most of the switches are stationairy, even with very cheap inferior cable there will be no break. When you use a decent cable, preferably specialy made to run in a guide, the changes that you will have a break within 10 years are practically zero.. Else you will have made a failure in assembling it, yourself
And if the machine runs into it's ends, it will only make some noise and won't damage anything.... Else you have to redesign it IMHO
I guess you don't use Nema34 - 12nM steppers on a machine build with 10mm aluminum profile.. A Nema 23 - 3nM belt-driven is about the maximum i know for small and medium size lasers.. Those do not any harm to the construction when they crash beyond the limits..
I made quite a few machines and most of them already run for over 10-15 years, on daily basis, without even one error.
When you build it well, you can have some trust in a high MTBF..
Kees
whmeade10

Post by whmeade10 »

Quick question. I have my X and Y limit switches wired to the normally open contacts. I have connected contact to the +X and +Y limits on the card and have tried the other ends to GND and +24. Nothing seems to work. When I go into the Manufacturer Parameters and check the Hardware Limit it wont stay. I click on Read, check the Hardware Limit Box, click on Save, and enter the password. When I hit Read again the Hardware Limit box is unchecked again. The change is not being saved.

Am I connecting the switches correctly?

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Use X- Y- instead

Marco
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

A long time ago, and a few other times later, i advised to make a little switch panel with pushbuttons to test all the posibilities. Sometimes it's not entirely clear which input you need for a fine working machine.
The workflow is simple: connect all switches to the controllers inputs. Manualy place the laserhead somewhere in the middle and set the homingspeed very low (10mm/sec or slower is fine, which gives you more than enough time to find out which switch reacts like you wish..
Switch the machine on and press the switches sequentialy. When you see something happening: the head starts to move in another direction or it stops moving, then you pressed the right switch.. This switch can be replaced with the appropriate homesensor..
For proximity sensors: Always check if the trigger comes close enough to activate the sensor, noraly there is a small light tha't lits when it is activated. example: with a 2mm detectingdistance a ferro-metal part needs to come closer than this 2mm, Aluminum works too but the distance is much smaller, in this case maybe only 0,5 mm..

Kees
whmeade10

Post by whmeade10 »

Thanks for the replies. It is not working in the -x and -y either. I verify which X and Y to put it on by moving the laser head around. when moving away it is moving in the +X direction and when moving right it is moving in the +Y direction. I have verified that the micro switches are working by connecting a meter to the com and normally open contacts. When the switch is activated the meter beeps due to continuity. I have connected the com connection on the switch to the +X and +Y. What do I connect the N/O contacts to? GND or +24VDC? Also, do I need to make sure the Hardware Limit box is checked in the settings? If so, I can't get it to save as checked. Is there a setting that tells the processor weather to look for GND or +24VDC?

Thanks guys!

Return to “DSP X7”