Unilaterism vs X-Swing > how can i improve results

typomaniac

Unilaterism vs X-Swing > how can i improve results

Post by typomaniac »

Hello,

i use the lo x7 for my buildlog laser and it works fine. Howewer - from the beginning i had problems with x-swing. Even at very slow speeds (100) i get some small offset. There is no play in the gantry (i checked everything twice) but the problem still exists. I bought better drivers and I tried playing around with the settings in cutting backlash and engrave reverse offset but it did not improve things. There was an effect but i tried values from 0.01 to 0.3 in 0.01 steps and no one even comes close to the quality of unilaterism (btw there should be some kind of option for a "testprint" with even smaller steps). You can see what i mean on the attached image. This is really important for me so any help is appreciated (Marco?). It does not make very much sense to me: If the x-axis can laser from left to right, turn back to the start position and start a new line on the exacty right position. Why can't this be done in x-swing. Especially at low speeds when you can hardly use the word swing.

thank you so much for your help,

tm
unilateral.jpg
Tech_Marco

Re: Unilaterism vs X-Swing > how can i improve results

Post by Tech_Marco »

It look like something got lose
Check belt tension, lens, and mirror mounts
Also, check the wheels.

Marco
typomaniac

Post by typomaniac »

Hey Marco,

thanks! Are you sure? Shouldn't something loose also result in offset when i engrave in unilaterism mode? I cannot find anything loose :-(. Belt tension is pretty high. Is there a rule of thumb regarding belt tension?

thank you,
tm
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

typomaniac wrote:Hello,

i use the lo x7 for my buildlog laser and it works fine. Howewer - from the beginning i had problems with x-swing. Even at very slow speeds (100) i get some small offset. There is no play in the gantry (i checked everything twice) but the problem still exists. I bought better drivers and I tried playing around with the settings in cutting backlash and engrave reverse offset but it did not improve things. There was an effect but i tried values from 0.01 to 0.3 in 0.01 steps and no one even comes close to the quality of unilaterism (btw there should be some kind of option for a "testprint" with even smaller steps). You can see what i mean on the attached image. This is really important for me so any help is appreciated (Marco?). It does not make very much sense to me: If the x-axis can laser from left to right, turn back to the start position and start a new line on the exacty right position. Why can't this be done in x-swing. Especially at low speeds when you can hardly use the word swing.

thank you so much for your help,

tm

unilateral.jpg
Try Options/System Options/Work Parameters/Engrave reverse offset (I think),

Engrave a small square with a rather large scan gap (I use around 0.5mm), measure the offset between the lines (their ends wont be aligned), create a compensation for the speed you used on that engraving and the measured value, note the offset value you input has to be negative!.

If you're using servos or your problem is due to belt compliance you will need to add a few different compensation values for different speeds, I normally add a compensation for 100mm/s, 200mm/s, 300mm/s and 400mm/s. If it is just backlash then maybe one single value with the minimum speed you use will sufice.

Cheers
Fernando
typomaniac

Post by typomaniac »

thank you very much! i will give it a try! Did you mean that the offset value, which is inserted in the software needs to be negative?
fnaranjob

Post by fnaranjob »

typomaniac wrote:thank you very much! i will give it a try! Did you mean that the offset value, which is inserted in the software needs to be negative?
Yup

Return to “DSP X7”