New RayCAM software

bsm2003

New RayCAM software

Post by bsm2003 »

Will this be Backward compatible to controllers sold by you prior to Oct '16 in the final version? Or will you provide us a firmware update to make the controllers sold prior to the date compatible with the software?
Tech_Marco

Re: New RayCAM software

Post by Tech_Marco »

The DSP prior to sales on Oct need to be upgraded before it can operate with RayCam. I've been discussing the possibility of doing an upgrade remotely through Windows Remote Desktop but it take times to develop a special update patch to load into your card and to communicate with your PC. It will be a long process and I don't think it can be done less than 6 months. In the mean time, the only possible way is to send the card to us for update.

Marco
als

Post by als »

Really, it is that hard to update the firmware? So all of these months of promise about the new software, and that our investment in your DSP controllers would finally be worth it, and this is still a big *maybe*?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

First of all, I don't promise you anything when you purchased the card. Second, you still can get the update software, the original version from the manufacturer site or from our support site. The current version has Not much difference than the Raycam and there is no impact on the card performance.

If you want the Raycam to be used, you must send the card back to us for firmware for upgrade if you are willing to pay for the shipping.

FYI, I asked the programmer to provide remote upgrade but was told it wasn't possible for Low but may be in the future. The Raycam is just a symbolic version to the public that X7 is only available from LightObject. However, I seem not much difference between two so far.. All my features request were being implement to both versions in the mean time, however No guarantee in the future.

Marco
als

Post by als »

Okay, thanks Marco. A few months back you posted about new features in a possibly renamed version of the software -- things like grey scale image burning. (Software I'd write myself if the DSP controller interface was published or if the software was open source.) That may not be a "promise", but there have certainly been hints that these new features were coming.

And not to be mean, but your programmer seems to have limited capabilities. If you open up that software to a wider body of developers you might find more people interested in buying the hardware!

I'll be patient a while longer, but eventually if nothing changes I will pull out the DSP controller and replace it with a RAMPs board or a system of my own design so that I can get the needed control.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You may not known how much struggling I have been dealing with the programmer. But he is the owner of the card, not me. I have asking him to open source and I was told that the source code will be opened. I cannot guarantee when, though

The grey scale won't work great on CO2 laser. I troed it and the result was less than doing ditther. I believe it is better on RF laser tube because it react faster and the beam is shaper.

Marco
als

Post by als »

Well, we will keep watch to see what happens. If it is Open Source'd I will see what I can do.

Regarding grayscale images, that should be something that can be addressed by adjusting power only when switching to new gray levels, processing all grays of a single value in a pass. It may take a while but that would be okay. Epilog seems to be able to do it with a CO2 laser. It should also be possible to do it by varying speed and not just power levels.

I can do it with my 2W Blue Laser (diode), but that I expect to be vastly different.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Epilog machine all equipped with a RF laser, not CO2 laser. Even though the 'gut' is really similar to a CO2 tube but it is driven by high frequency DC sources from a 48V DC power supply. The beam is very small and low in divergence. That's why it engrave better. I bought a used RF laser tube from a Canadian. But I haven't had a chance to install it yet. Once we finished remodeling our workshop and setup a 700W metal cutter in the shop, I may spare some time and setup the RF system. I'm not sure if the RF laser tube working or not, though. Hope my betting is good ;) l.

I can engrave roughly 8 different tones by selecting different power when enable the grey scale. But once I tried it on a real image, the contract wasn't that good. It was kind of fussy a bit but not giving me a crisp image as it should. I'm thinking that it is because the latency from the CO2 laser tube.

I have debated many times with the programmer and told him that people were not interested in the software much thant hardware, they like to design (customize) they own interface. I told him that he could make money by selling the DSP card with secured embedded sources and he should open the sources code for interface area. He agreed that and told me he is going to. The problem is that he need to work out ports before he share the sources code. It take a long way because he can't release all sources code, especially for the chips internal control code. Well, like you said, let's wait and see. I wish I have some share on his company and I will definitely to either make better software which is the weakness as I can tell, or open sources code and focusing on good hardware production.

As I mentioned, you can send you board back to me to upgrade it. I won't charge your labor fee (was $15). That way, you can try a couple new features on the board. If you can find a better solution to solve the grey scale, I will offer you freebies!

Marco
upsetDSPowner

Post by upsetDSPowner »

Below you will find what you promised when you sold theses cards.Free standard software upgades for a full year. Having to pay for shipping to and from is not free :eek: :mrgreen: .....to date I still can't import a DXF file from any mentioned software and macro dose not work with coreldraw X6
on 64bit windows machine.
And the last time I checked my ramps did 8-bit grayscale just fine with my C02 Laser tube(so far the only thing worth it I have purchased from LO) you are welcome to look up the instructables and check the hex file for the mega board, just search "goodbye moshi". :D
:lol:

It comes with a 1604 dot matric LCD display and a user keypad with support of USB memory drive so that no PC is required. The DSP system comes with LaserCad graphic application that work independently for simple graphic creation. It features file importing/exporting from different graphics software format like CorelDraw (X4 or higher version), Illustrator CS5, and AutoCad (2004 or higher version). . A list of file supports: AI, DXF, PLT, DST, DSB, BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, MNG, ICO CUR, TIF, TGA, PCX, JBG, JP2, JPC, PGX, RAS, PNM, SKA, RAW"

Unlimited tech support through our Support Forum and free standard version software upgrade for 1 year.

Features:

* Wide adaptive to different kinds of CO2 laser machines
* Supports memory stick (note: file name must be in 8.3 format)
* Per layer PPI control
* Memory recovery from electricity interruption
* On board (LED panel) power & speed control
* Supports vector cutting and raster engaging
* Works well with different brands of stepping motor drivers
* Supports rotary
* Supports PWM or analog CO2 power supply
* Supports PWM for RF laser tube
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I will post latest laserCad here for free download.
I also mentioned that special feathers may be subjected to charge. RayCam is not a standard software that comes with the DSP but it is a special edition that just got completed not too long ago. It is only available through Lighobject and it is not compatible for the X7 not purchased through LO.

I have no problem to upgrade your DSP card to take the RayCam only if you send it back to me to run the upgrade process.
The upgrade cannot be completed remotely. I talked to the programmer for a new patch that allow me to do remote upgrade but it will take time to develop it.

Marco
als

Post by als »

upsetDSPowner wrote:And the last time I checked my ramps did 8-bit grayscale just fine with my C02 Laser tube(so far the only thing worth it I have purchased from LO) you are welcome to look up the instructables and check the hex file for the mega board, just search "goodbye moshi". :D
:lol:
Thank you for posting this!!! I've had a spare RAMP board (backup for a 3d Printer) laying around for a while. After spending so much on the DSP controller it kills me to do this, but I think I may go for the RAMPS conversion -- unless Marco indicates that RayCAM + the firmware upgrade will get us to the same features, specifically the 8-bit grayscale engraving! I also was encouraged by the PPM glass engraving - I did not know that this was why my glass engraving was so rough.

-Andrew
upsetDSPowner

Post by upsetDSPowner »

You are welcome Andrew!
To further make your glass engraving smoother get yourself a can of molly lube and use as a mask it will keep the glass from getting too hot and fracturing oddly. Glad to have been of some helpadd me too your contacts here on the forum and buzz me if you need any help or discover something that might help me. By the way I have 3 different set ups I use 1( mega + the Ramps Make sure you use the MK40 firmware 2) is the DSP and 3 is an arduino nano with a eleks laser cnc shield and 2.5w diode which is mainly for smaller stuff just ordered a new 4 axis beaglebone style drop in for the K40 of which I have 2 and now that my firmware in the DSP is acting buggy,I'm testing out boards while I wait for our Makerarm to be delivered sometime this month. find it on kickstarter.
Have a great night!
D

P.s
What it sounds like and I may be wrong but .... This Ray Cam software sounds like it comes as a standard working software with new units.
Last edited by upsetDSPowner on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
als

Post by als »

upsetDSPowner wrote:You are welcome Andrew!
To further make your glass engraving smoother get yourself a can of molly lube and use as a mask it will keep the glass from getting too hot and fracturing oddly. Glad to have been of some helpadd me too your contacts here on the forum and buzz me if you need any help or discover something that might help me. By the way I have 3 different set ups I use 1( mega + the Ramps Make sure you use the MK40 firmware 2) is the DSP and 3 is an arduino nano with a eleks laser cnc shield and 2.5w diode which is mainly for smaller stuff just ordered a new 4 axis beaglebone style drop in for the K40 of which I have 2 and now that my firmware in the DSP is acting buggy,I'm testing out boards while I wait for our Makerarm to be delivered sometime this month. find it on kickstarter.
Have a great night!
D
Thank you again! I've used Dry Moly for lasering ceramic tile but hadn't thought to try it on glass!
And WOW! MakerArm looks awesome! If you ever need another team member with a background in software and electronics let me know!
I have two CNC powered diode lasers as well -- that is where I first used Dry Moly on tile, though it works much better with the CO2 laser. My first one was a Shapeoko 2 that I added a 2 Watt laser diode to, and then I modified the firmware to allow grayscale image printing. I have an article about it on Instructables.com titled "CNC Laser for Printing Images and Engraving - Shapeoko 2 based."

That background is why I've tried to encourage Marco to have the developer release the software for the DSP controller. I know given some time I could add some of the missing features. I've already shown I can fix bugs, even without source code, as you can see here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-LaserCAD/.

I'm wondering if the off-board Stepper Motor Drivers that come with the DSP kit are worth using instead of the Pololu drivers that the RAMPS usually uses...?

-Andrew
upsetDSPowner

Post by upsetDSPowner »

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was anything beyond a backer for the Makerarm. I am only a backer and customer for the project wish I could have been in on it!
D
tklus

LaserCad vs raycam

Post by tklus »

So what is the difference between laserCad and raycam? Why would I want to upgrade?
Thanks
Tim

Return to “DSP X7”