Rotary using Y axis for the attachment

bsm2003

Rotary using Y axis for the attachment

Post by bsm2003 »

I am using the Y axis for the rotary and it is giving me a headache.
It rotates fine but the image is height is squeezed down and and it's wider than it should be. Kinda like stretching a photo without locking the X and Y before scaling. Also it is engraving backwards. I worked around that by mirroring the photo to be reversed. This is on the LO-X7 With the latest firmware and latest LaserCad available from here.
20160924_154605.jpg
Techgraphix

Re: Rotary using Y axis for the attachment

Post by Techgraphix »

Printing Backwards is easy to solve:
Your Rotary-stepper motor has four wires (probably, else maybe 8) this are two coils.. You can measure that. then you know which wires belong together.
Now the trick: swap the two wires of ONE coil only and your motor will turn in opposite direction.

Now for the scaling:
There are two possibilities:
Adjust the stepsize for the Y, when you want to use your Rotary
Or
Scale your drawing in Y-size. If a square comes out 131% in Y, in relation to X, scale your drawing 1/1,31= 76,33% in height.. the result is that it will come out perfectly square..

BTW: in lasercad is a possibility to select "use Rotary" and set the values there.. Don't forget to check that checkbox when you start..
(Menu: Options > System Options > Advance Functions)

Depending if you use a friction-type or Jaw-type Rotary: when using a friction-type you only have to figure out this numbers once.. With a jaw-type you have to measure the circumferense of the object and calculate it all again..

Kees
bsm2003

Post by bsm2003 »

In the latest Laser cad there is no place to enable Rotary Engraving under the advanced functions or anywhere elses it seems. As I said I mirrored the image to engrave in the proper orientation. That has been taken care of.
sslcad.png
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Oh i see..
I use the Rotary quite often but never this menu..
Kees
bsm2003

Post by bsm2003 »

I got it working properly. Using the config for distance traveled vs actual on the Y axis. Saved that to a config file for rotary operation. Getting the proper ratios now.

Thanks
Brian

Return to “DSP X7”