Exaust/ fume smell issue with new machine

designfactore

Exaust/ fume smell issue with new machine

Post by designfactore »

Hi,

I just got a LSR-PRO530Z, and am wondering just how much acrylic smell to expect when cutting it despite exhaust ventilation. I have a 190 CFM centrifugal fan with 4" diameter dryer hose, going out of a window. I have tested the air flow, and it is indeed blowing out. :)

Despite that, even when I do a really short cutting session, like cutting a single 20mm diameter circle in 1/8" acrylic which takes just a couple of seconds, the smell of acrylic fumes still fills the room rather quickly, even when leaving the lid shut, I can even smell it a minute later in the next room over, and I have to open windows to get the smell out. I don't see any gaps in the panels of my machine, not sure how it is getting out so quickly especially with the exhaust fan sucking out of the window.

Do I need a higher CFM fan, or are there other remedies? I did notice that there is a cooling fan on the right side of the machine. It is blowing OUT, should it instead be blowing IN? Seems like it could be leaking fumes out from there since there are several holes for wiring internally which aren't sealed by gaskets.
mrsunnylam

Re: Exaust/ fume smell issue with new machine

Post by mrsunnylam »

Hey,
I had the same issue with mine. I have my setup in the garage and the hose was set right at the door and the fumes kept coming back in. i end up putting my exhaust fan completely outside and it helped alot. also i leave the door closed for about 5 to 10 minutes after the cut seems to help. but the lingering smell is there but not unbearable. but i also have a 635CFM. Your 190CFM is for a 200 Square foot bathroom, it might seem it should work fine for wood cutting but acrylic maybe not.

hopes this helps
Cheers
designfactore

Re: Exaust/ fume smell issue with new machine

Post by designfactore »

Hey Sunny,

A very belated thank you for your reply!

I also found that the exhaust fan (one that everyone seems to use) itself was also not air tight. It has an all-metal housing, with very thin walls.

The acrylic fumes were rushing out of both the seams that go around the fan, and even more though the holes where the screws go in that hold the mounting bracket on.

Sealing those holes with makeshift gaskets, and the seam with good duct tape made a big difference.

Return to “LO PR530 Desktop laser machine”