60w power supply on a 50w tube

Evnflow

60w power supply on a 50w tube

Post by Evnflow »

Was wondering if you can run a 50w co2 tube on a 60w psu? Recently had a tube failure, and dont have the money at the mkment tobgrab another 60w, but would like to see about a cheaper 50w, without spemding too much cash. thanks in advance.

Here are the parts if it helps:
Psu: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP ... UTF8&psc=1

Tube:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKDMMS4/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by Evnflow on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWMS

Re: 60w power supply on a 50w tube

Post by SWMS »

You’ll have to limit the current in some way so it doesn’t screw up the tube. Which you can do using a potentiometer and an ammeter.

If you are connecting a new tube please get the terminals connected at the factory and use an IP68 inline connector rated for at least 13 amps at 400 volts to connect it to your laser PSU.

Or possibly and I take no responsibility for this if it kills your tube. Ask other people about the below and do some extra research

I think a 60 watt tube draws 0.25 amps ( from memory, look it up. )

If you find out how many amps a 40 watt tube draws eg. 0.16 amps.

Then..... 0.16 as a percentag of 0.25 is... 64 %

In your settings you can specify the Max power percentage as 64%.

However

That would be 64% power for a 60 watt tube and that’s actually 100% for a 40 watt tube. They don’t recommend running tubes at full power so at a guess run it at 50%. The voltage is similar it’s just the amps that it draws.

I hope this helps. Don’t quote me on it though AND BE CAREFUL.
Last edited by SWMS on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWMS

Post by SWMS »

Btw.

You might want to ask on Reddit laser forum. This is the light object forum for light object support. If you aren’t gonna buy from them it seems a tiny bit rude asking for help on their forum. ;)
Evnflow

Post by Evnflow »

Thank you swms, yeah didn't think about that until afterwards..i did buy everything else(chiller, lox7, power bed, lens, and tune mounts), why i came back here, seemed to have a friendly knowledgeable base..thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it. :D

Forgot to edit the 1st post it was 50w tube

Return to “Tips and new on the DSP & Software”