LaserCAD 7.60 Layer/Color Loss

AndyKunz

LaserCAD 7.60 Layer/Color Loss

Post by AndyKunz »

In previous versions that I have used, I was able to set line colors in the DXF file and they were honored by LaserCAD. In version 7.60, everything imports black. Is there a fix for this? (Am I using the latest version?)

Thanks.

Andy
AndyKunz

Re: LaserCAD 7.60 Layer/Color Loss

Post by AndyKunz »

I could certainly use an update that honors the DXF colors. I am trying to work on a detailed project that uses different colors in a line (making a line that is "etched" (actually a low-power cut) in some places and high power to cut through the wood in others, and these are only about 2mm wide features in a 900mm line. Think of it as a perforation, so that the user knows where to cut after joining the items.

Another thing that would help would be a way to know what the DXF color names are that the software supports. If the problem with everything being black is that the color names have changed, I can change my colors to ones that LaserCAD will recognize.

Anybody? Marco?

Andy
AndyKunz

Post by AndyKunz »

So I've been poking around with this (it's a REAL problem for me) and found what's going on.

Apparently LaserCAD doesn't understand DXF layers. If objects are colored by layer, it changes them all to black (which happens to be my default Layer 0 color, although nothing is on that layer in the DXF).

If objects are colored not "by layer", then LaserCAD will use the color.

That means there is an extra preparation I must do to make the file cuttable. I "Select By Layer" for each layer, and change the color from "By Layer" to the color assigned to that layer.

Hopefully this can be improved in a future version, but for anybody who uses layers to color their designs, we have a work-around.

But it would still be really good if LaserCAD could tell us the names it uses for each color. Some colors are changed to odd stuff, like gray, when imported.

Andy
Dhart1971

Post by Dhart1971 »

Hi Andy!

It recognizes each color for me if I put all lines and all colors on 1 layer. The only problem I have, but not every time, is that sometimes when I import a dxf some lettering gets messed up.

Sincerely,
Eugene
AndyKunz

Post by AndyKunz »

If the text is one line, it works for me.

If I have a text item that spans multiple lines, it gets crazy.

I find it best to explode text until it is lines only. Then it imports perfectly.

Return to “Tips and new on the DSP & Software”