Making a custom printerhead for laser cutting/engraving

brainy19

Making a custom printerhead for laser cutting/engraving

Post by brainy19 »

I saw the laser head mount and noticed how much space it requires. I thought of making a custom laser head where the focus lens would be mounted on the bottom. The cutting/engraving bed would moving along the Z axis, to bring the workpiece into focus and to allow for a changing height of the workpiece.

However, I don't know what I can use to mount the lens tho. The lens mount in Light Object has the threaded cap and ring that mounts the lens into the mount piece. Dees anyone know where I can get that threaded cap and ring?
Techgraphix

Re: Making a custom printerhead for laser cutting/engraving

Post by Techgraphix »

If you can machine a complete new laserhead, you can also machine those parts, i guess. Else a machineshop can do that but i think it is the cheapest way to buy a random suitable laserhead (on eBay, Aliexpress, Banggood etc) and use that for making your parts.
For a lightweight, small head.. take a look at Trotec..
A movable Z-table is very usefull anyway.. To focus i prefer a lightweight 12mm ultrasonic-sensor with short range and teach-in.. Not cheap (~200-350$) but it works great:
Just place the sensor somewhere above the workpiece press autofocus (Z-home) and your done. Works on all materials (except thick felt, but when you lay a piece of paper on it you can focus again)

Kees

Return to “Metal Cutting/Engraving laser machine”