Laser tube wont fire, could use some advise

dansgscale

Laser tube wont fire, could use some advise

Post by dansgscale »

I finish the upgrade of my Blue K40 Laser cutter with the LO E5 DSP controller. I have ever thing wired up per the wiring diagrams one this site and ever thing is working as it should. The X and Y move correctly and the Z-Table move correctly. I have Air assist, Better Exhaust fans and water pump is all working fine. I downloaded the latest version of LaserCad and installed it on my laptop and it is working OK. I created a file to cut using Deltacad and cheap and easy to use 2D cad program that I have used for years. I have set up the machine setting per the manual and set the max power to 50% just top be on the safe side since this will be the first time using the machine. I tried cutting a simple square about 3CM Square and as soon as I hit the start button, the machine started to move and then everything went dead. No power to anything. At first I thought I pop a circuit breaker, but the lamp that is plugged into the same outlet was still on.

I rechecked all the wiring and everything looked ok. It took about an hour to figure out that the Power jack on the back of the unit had a fuse in it. It had blown. It was only a 3amp fuse. Well I decided to separate the Laser Power supply for the other 24V power supply that powers the DSP controller and the Stepper Motor Controllers as well as all the meter and solid state relays used to turn on the fans and pumps. I have completed that and have a separate power connection for those from the Laser PSU.

I powered up the DSP and lights and pumps and fans and let them run for about 5 minutes while I turned on the laptop and loaded the DXF file that I had created on DeltaCad. Uploaded it to the DSP controller just fine. Turned on the Laser Power and waited a minute and the hit the laser button to test fire the laser and I got nothing. I open the lid and hit the laser button again with a piece of cardboard inn front of the X gantry mirror and nothing. Is it possible that I blew out the PSU that first time I turned it on. I did a test fire that first time and it did leave a mark on the wood I had in the machine.

The temp Gauge is not in the water bucket as the wire lead is not long enough to reach it so right now it is just inside the cabinet. The mA meter has only shown 0.0 and 0.1

Attached are photo of the system as it is right now. Any help would be greatly appericated
Attachments
Lasercad screen
Lasercad screen
Zero Point of laser on Z-Table
Zero Point of laser on Z-Table
DSP unit
DSP unit
Front side of Control panel
Front side of Control panel
Back side wiring of DSP unit
Back side wiring of DSP unit
PSU wiring
PSU wiring
dansgscale

Re: Laser tube wont fire, could use some advise

Post by dansgscale »

I feel like a fool, I just went back and checked everything a gain and I had the E-stop Button engaged, thats why it would not fire. Well It is firing now and here is the test. It was supposed to cut through the 1mm cardboard, but it only etched it. I now have to figure out the etching and cutting settings. I am not going to be cutting anything over 1/8 " thick and most will be 3/32 and 1/16 basswood and 1 and 2mm styrene.
Attachments
test cut on 1mm cardboard 50% power and speed of 100
test cut on 1mm cardboard 50% power and speed of 100
dansgscale

Post by dansgscale »

what should the distance be from the bottom of the air nozzle and the material being cut?
dansgscale

Post by dansgscale »

well I tried all sorts of bed heights and speeds and power setts up to 60% and all I get it to do it etch and not cut all the way through. even with 3 passes it didn't cut through 1mm cardboard. I decide to check the mirror alignment and that might be the problem. I used tape over the carriage mirror and I can not get the dot in the same place. Anyone have an easy way to align the mirrors?

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”