Finished rebuild of my K40 laser cutter

Winstonc

Finished rebuild of my K40 laser cutter

Post by Winstonc »

Finished rebuild of my K40 laser cutter using LO 45w tube and case extension, 40-60w LPSU and X7 DSP kit, plus power z-table kit. Very happy with results!
Attachments
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
Harldave

Re: Finished rebuild of my K40 laser cutter

Post by Harldave »

Really nice neat job! Really impressed!! All lined up and ready to go? You changed the laser head out too? That how you got the Z table to fit?
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

Thanks.

The z-table would fit anyway (I also cut about 1" off the exhaust extractor outlet), but yes I used the LO head with the air assist and changed the mirrors and lens.

David
OzAdr1an

Post by OzAdr1an »

How did you go realigning the laser tube given its larger diameter. From my calculations you have to drop the existing clamps down 2.5mm to accomodate the overall 5mm higher diameter. The easiest thing is to shave some of the existing mounts, or raise the xy stage and primary mirror 2.5mm.. I've got the extension and the 45w tube, but haven't tackled it yet due to this issue..

Are you able to send some pics of the laser tube area and more details on how you addressed this ?
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

They are the same diameter at 50mm so no adjustment was necessary.

David
OzAdr1an

Post by OzAdr1an »

Weird... the one I bought late last year is actually 55mm
Mcaughey

Post by Mcaughey »

I really like how it all came together for you. I'm just getting started. Last night I laid all the parts out and reviewed the wiring diagram only to realize I was missing a few parts (that I failed to buy). So i have to wait on them to come in. Meanwhile I'm just continuing to get ideas of how to put it all together. Thank you for posting.

Did you make the blue plate that the X7, master power switch and ammeter fit into? or did you buy that somewhere? If the latter can you share where?

Also the limit switch on the electronics compartment, is that a small wood box that the switch is in?

Did you have to use any limit switches on the z axis?
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

The blue plate is acrylic cut on the laser that I knocked up in Fusion 360.

The box that the micro switch is in I drew up in Fusion and 3D printed and yes you need two limit switches for the z axis. Again I just 3D printed the bracket or you can laser cut from the design that is on this site.

Hope that helps

David
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If anyone need the acrylic mounting plate, I can make some in my shop. I can do stainless steel as well 'cause we have laser fiber machine for metal cutting

Marco
JerryLouisMartin

Post by JerryLouisMartin »

Winston NC

How are you liking your upgrade, any issues or things you wished to do differently?
Winstonc

Post by Winstonc »

It worked great, but I ended up designing and building a larger laser cutter using parts from LO and reusing some of the upgrade parts from the K40.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”