power supply wireing

sandyL

power supply wireing

Post by sandyL »

I have Orion Motor Tech 12"x 8" 40W CO2 Laser trying to install the X7 DSP kit. My existing PS does not match with any diagrams I have found for this installation.
Attached is a picture of my unit .
Can anyone direct me to some diagrams and or downloads, hopefully some step by step directions. I have downloaded the only one on this site I can find. the two premade cables included with plugin ends seem to go to the LCD module but cannot find where the other plug goes, just dumb I guess.
Any help with this project will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sandy
Attachments
20170215_131815_001 - Copy.jpg
ChrisBorg

Re: power supply wireing

Post by ChrisBorg »

I have the same power supply and the same issue. If I find a solution I'll post here.
ChrisBorg

Post by ChrisBorg »

After digging through other forums and checking continuity on the pins, here is my best guess...

The green connector is your AC connection to the 110 V power, earth ground, and the negative return for the laser tube. You can leave this alone.

The other pins (from left to right) are P G K+ K- G IN 5V 24V G 5V L
All of the pins labeled G are ground connections and are tied together and to earth ground.
P is a safety interrupt. If a switch ties it to ground it cuts power to the laser. Use this for any door switches or your if you have a water sensor.
There isn't a consensus on how K+ and K- work that I can find. They are connected to the laser test firing switch on the front panel.
K- and L appear to be connected internally. From comments on other forums, this point will fire the laser if it is connected to ground. Some controllers (like the smoothie board) also adjust this voltage to control the power level of the laser, and this is their only connection to the power supply.
IN is used to control the maximum power level of the laser. On the K40 it's connected to a potentiometer (power adjustment knob) and other controllers connect this to a PWM signal for power control.
5V and 24V are voltages generated by this power supply (I'm going to try using the 24V to power the controller rather than mount the external supply)

So my first attempt at connecting this will be to make the following connections on the controller: PWM to IN, TTL to L, and GND to G

oh...your picture has two white wires connected to with the blue wires in the last 4 pin connector. On my machine these connect to a light strip. If you have the same setup, these are just connecting to the 24V power which you want to keep after you rewire it.

I'm a few days away from getting this all connected, but I'll post if it works.
ChrisBorg

Post by ChrisBorg »

Success! This connection scheme worked and let me test fire the laser.
k40jeme

Post by k40jeme »

ChrisBorg wrote:After digging through other forums and checking continuity on the pins, here is my best guess...

The green connector is your AC connection to the 110 V power, earth ground, and the negative return for the laser tube. You can leave this alone.

The other pins (from left to right) are P G K+ K- G IN 5V 24V G 5V L
All of the pins labeled G are ground connections and are tied together and to earth ground.
P is a safety interrupt. If a switch ties it to ground it cuts power to the laser. Use this for any door switches or your if you have a water sensor.
There isn't a consensus on how K+ and K- work that I can find. They are connected to the laser test firing switch on the front panel.
K- and L appear to be connected internally. From comments on other forums, this point will fire the laser if it is connected to ground. Some controllers (like the smoothie board) also adjust this voltage to control the power level of the laser, and this is their only connection to the power supply.
IN is used to control the maximum power level of the laser. On the K40 it's connected to a potentiometer (power adjustment knob) and other controllers connect this to a PWM signal for power control.
5V and 24V are voltages generated by this power supply (I'm going to try using the 24V to power the controller rather than mount the external supply)

So my first attempt at connecting this will be to make the following connections on the controller: PWM to IN, TTL to L, and GND to G

oh...your picture has two white wires connected to with the blue wires in the last 4 pin connector. On my machine these connect to a light strip. If you have the same setup, these are just connecting to the 24V power which you want to keep after you rewire it.

I'm a few days away from getting this all connected, but I'll post if it works.
I have this same set up, well sort of. This post has helped me alot. After installation my X,Y axis not moving. I tried changing all the "um" values in Raycam 1.2....nothing. I checked the LCD pad for common parameter setting> work mode> go origin after reset = enable> origin mode =key origin. May someone help me please. My k+ k- is safety for P, G. If connect P and G laser will fire as long as k+, k- are connected.

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”